NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

I’m not crazy about the Saints wearing their new black helmet with white jerseys and pants, BUT…

In the photo of Cam Jordan modeling them, he was wearing BLACK socks. That is a massive upgrade over the trash white socks they’ve always worn with the otherwise excellent Color Rush look. 

• Like 7

^^ that’s not new. They’ve used  bright green along with the midnight green for years. 

In other news, they may not be able to replace the wordmark on the jerseys till 2024(!) according to a beat writer. So they’ll potentially have an unofficial logo on their uniform for up to two seasons. 

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 minutes ago, BBTV said:

^^ that’s not new. They’ve used  bright green along with the midnight green for years. 

In other news, they may not be able to replace the wordmark on the jerseys till 2024(!) according to a beat writer. So they’ll potentially have an unofficial logo on their uniform for up to two seasons. 

This league really needs to work it's rules out because it's forcing teams to look like idiots. Eagles having an outdated wordmark, the Saints wearing the wrong alternate uniform, the Rams nonsense from a few years ago, Browns being stuck in hell, etc. The Eagles shouldn't have to wait.

• Like 7

bSLCtu2.png

8 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

This league really needs to work it's rules out because it's forcing teams to look like idiots. Eagles having an outdated wordmark, the Saints wearing the wrong alternate uniform, the Rams nonsense from a few years ago, Browns being stuck in hell, etc. The Eagles shouldn't have to wait.

The eagles could have easily coincided the “uniform change” with the wordmark change but chose not to. That’s not the NFL’s problem.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 3:12 PM, aawagner011 said:

Eagles wordmark feels very generic. I wonder if this foreshadows a bigger overhaul. I’d like them to lean more into the midnight green and charcoal. Eliminate the black.

It could be, I think it could also just be preemptive to adding the Kelly green next year as an alt.

It fits both colors, kinda evokes the retro wordmark but with a modern flair.

spacer.png
QBe5MI7.png

Also obviously works with Black too 

40E5XBy.jpg

And since we heard Kelly was coming back but they might only allow one extra helmet…I’ve wondered if this is what they might be doing. All black with the Kelly green helmet. Even if they can keep a third helmet the Kelly actually works with the black opposed to the midnight.

96kP7Tu.jpg

Just brings the color way more into their branding. They’ve used a more neon version of it the last bunch of years kind of setting the groundwork. 

maybe it leads to more changes though yeah for the home and away. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MJD7 said:

As for the Eagles’ wordmark, I similarly like it on its own, it’s a nice refresh that feels fitting for the team. However, in keeping the old eagle logo & presumably the old number font, I imagine the wordmark will look quite out of place. It feels like a half-measure when I would have preferred them to try a complete refresh.

I think whenever they do the refresh positioning the Kelly green alts will be a big part of it. Lurie fought for that for awhile and will want to take his victory lap.

Have a feeling it’ll be like the chargers a couple years ago but more options with the helmets. Even more if the league let’s them keep and use 3 like they want. Could see them use stuff like the black helmet with the white top and a version of the black pants as a rare combo. Really depends on how lax the league is.

spacer.png

Eagles 2023/2024?

Helmet: MG, KG, Bk

Jersey: MG, Wt, KG, Bk

Pants: Wt, MG, Retro Silver, Bk, Bk2

Socks: Bk, Retro,  All Bk / Bk with retro bands

Shoes: Black/MG,  Wt retro, Black/KG

As I said in one of the above posts, I think the switch greens for the black uniforms.

96kP7Tu.jpg

Kelly Green has stayed super popular within their merchandise for a long time, actually integrating it back in on the field will be big.

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

As I said in one of the above posts, I think the switch greens for the black uniforms.

96kP7Tu.jpg

Kelly Green has stayed super popular within their merchandise for a long time, actually integrating it back in on the field will be big.

I get huge NY Jet vibes from this. 

Eagles can either choose Black or Kelly Green. They can't have both. 

And yeah, the new wordmark sucks. Reminds more of the Patriots changing their wordmark from something so beautiful into something so incredibly generic. 

• Like 1

Almost everything about the Eagles brand is outdated, except for the logo. That still holds up, IMO. But to replace the old wordmark with what I will call "generic modern NFL font" is not good. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Almost everything about the Eagles brand is outdated, except for the logo. That still holds up, IMO. But to replace the old wordmark with what I will call "generic modern NFL font" is not good. 

I'd say now the Phillies & 76ers are the only 2 teams of Philly with good wordmarks.

The Flyers have a very generic modern NHL font too, but hockey you never see wordmarks so no one notices.

2 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

And yeah, the new wordmark sucks. Reminds more of the Patriots changing their wordmark from something so beautiful into something so incredibly generic. 

Will always be some level of overlap. This would be a like once maybe twice a year look, would be fine and different enough if they did something like that.

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It could be, I think it could also just be preemptive to adding the Kelly green next year as an alt.

It fits both colors, kinda evokes the retro wordmark but with a modern pensé.

spacer.png
QBe5MI7.png

Also obviously works with Black too 

40E5XBy.jpg

And since we heard Kelly was coming back but they might only allow one extra helmet…I’ve wondered if this is what they might be doing. All black with the Kelly green helmet. Even if they can keep a third helmet the Kelly actually works with the black opposed to the midnight.

96kP7Tu.jpg

Just brings the color way more into their branding. They’ve used a more neon version of it the last bunch of years kind of setting the groundwork. 

maybe it leads to more changes though yeah for the home and away. 

I’d be ok with it (but just ok, nothing higher) if the E had a more pronounced spike on the upper left, and maybe also the S on upper right. That would at least keep it consistent with previous word marks, even if the rest is pretty generic. 

at the end of the day, NFL word marks aren’t super important. Baseball and basketball matter most. Then a large gap, then football. Hockey word marks barely matter at all since they really only appear on helmets, and even then, it’s usually logos. 

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

53 minutes ago, BBTV said:

at the end of the day, NFL word marks aren’t super important. Baseball and basketball matter most. Then a large gap, then football. Hockey word marks barely matter at all since they really only appear on helmets, and even then, it’s usually logos. 

I wouldn't say large gap. Wordmarks usually end up on helmets (front and rear bumpers) and then they're incredibly important for end zones (especially for the Super Bowl), though 30-40 years ago it really wasn't the case - a number of teams had end zones that had nothing to do with their wordmarks. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

28 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I wouldn't say large gap. Wordmarks usually end up on helmets (front and rear bumpers) and then they're incredibly important for end zones (especially for the Super Bowl), though 30-40 years ago it really wasn't the case - a number of teams had end zones that had nothing to do with their wordmarks. 

I was thinking about this.  I wonder what the arched word mark would look like if they kept the lettering the same, but flattened out the bottom to have it fit better in the end zones  and bumpers.

• Like 2

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

5 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Agreed. Green (whichever shade) and silver are the Eagles to me. It’s based on the Philadelphia mint. It’s part of the city and the team’s history. Also it sets them apart from the Jets. Black should be an accent. The fact that they don’t have silver or charcoal pants with the current set is a mistake in my opinion. 

• Like 4

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

5 minutes ago, Korkie said:

I was thinking about this.  I wonder what the arched word mark would look like if they kept the lettering the same, but flattened out the bottom to have it fit better in the end zones  and bumpers.

There's also the other version of the now former wordmark that went out of vogue a good couple years back...

f728131df4d1838c1beed45f2518b48a.jpg

It'd take some doing, but I believe they could probably fashion a script mark out from this that even if ever so slightly evokes a bird at flight....

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||