NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

I don’t know if I can say that I love it, exactly, but I’m Ok with the Eagles’ new word mark. Mostly because the old one was such a cluttered mess. This one is not the most original mark but if they build something new off it, uniform wise, at least its fairly simple and simplification is something their current uniform desperately needs. 

• Like 14

40 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I don’t know if I can say that I love it, exactly, but I’m Ok with the Eagles’ new word mark. Mostly because the old one was such a cluttered mess. This one is not the most original mark but if they build something new off it, uniform wise, at least its fairly simple and simplification is something their current uniform desperately needs. 

I dunno. I wouldn’t want a new uniform to have a number font based on this new wordmark, with italics, square corners, and random cut outs like the Es have. I’d much rather something more simple vs an italicized version of the Falcons, which is where I could see it going. 

or, we’re thinking about it too much and it’s not foreshadowing anything and is simply so that they have a rectangular mark that looks better in most digital applications. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Eagles new wordmark is definitely inline with the current trend of simple 1 color wordmarks and on its own, it looks fine. When it’s paired up with the logo, it looks a bit plain, like it needs an outline or a drop shadow or something. It’s definitely out of place in their branding, where the previous one fit right in with the logo and uniform number styling.

Since they did insist on updating, I think the new one just needs a bit more, like a drop shadow and/or an arc on the bottom. Something to tie it to the rest of the brand a little bit better.

If it is some foreshadowing of simplified/updated uniforms/branding, I’ll volunteer to lead the Midnight Green/Silver/White train.

• Like 5

It looks like the Panthers will have an alternate helmet this year:

"Since teams are allowed to wear an alternate helmet this year, it's a possibility we will see one here. As we mentioned in April, it remains a possibility, so stay tuned."

https://www.panthers.com/news/ask-the-old-guy-summer-break-edition

FYI: He's a pretty sarcastic writer, so his repeating this phrase twice makes me think he's implying it's happening.

As much as I hate alternate helmets, I'd love to see a blue helmet. I'd love to see a blue helmet become their one and only helmet, but it wouldn't be the worst as an alternate. A black helmet would look awful, their black dominant logo would practically be invisible. Add that to the brand dilution that alternate helmets cause and it's a perfect storm of trash.

• Like 3

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

I’m kinda hoping for a black Panthers helmet with a Seahawks-like stripe down the middle filled with mini Panthers logos. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 14
  • Hurl 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

FWIW the Florida Tuskers of the short lived UFL had helmets in the same shade of blue as the Carolina Panthers, and they looked pretty darn in action.

Florida Tuskers QB #8 Brooks Bollinger | Florida Tuskers QB … | Flickr

Florida Tuskers helmet photo - Andy Lopušnak Photography photos at pbase.com

Florida Tuskers | Football helmets, Football team, Sports team logos

For a while now I've been hoping the Panthers would get new uniforms where they drop silver and promote their blue to primary color status.

• Like 11

Hotter Than July > Thriller

17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I’m kinda hoping for a black Panthers helmet with a Seahawks-like stripe down the middle filled with mini Panthers logos. 

Silver panther logos that are a different shade of silver than the rest of the uniform 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Panthers will unveil a “Carolina Pride” blue helmet with a silver Carolina states outline filled with black and white checkers and a helmet stripe with hurricane flag design

I can't decide whether to respond to you with "source?" or just give a laughing emoji.....

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Here are the 5 known alt helmet shells that have been announced.
wNaMpL1.jpg
RUuQK8c.jpg
7g7ksCm.jpg
pzeC3Fd.jpg
Z02Qguk.jpg

15 teams were reported to have alt shells in 2022. Here is my guess on the other 10 taking into account that the shell seems to have to be paired with an alternate uniform and not the standard home or away jersey. As well as taking into account some of the teams who have had their names come up.

RzfLhsR.jpg

The Bengals long talked about white helmets won't be an option unless they also have an alternate white jersey. Not sure if the League would let them bring back the previous color rush jersey. If not I am guessing inverted shell...
wvyvBhU.jpg

Red for Bills that will likely get paired with throwbacks in 2023.
FS52qlc.jpg
nrOJCdT.jpg
JKXQa51.jpg
DVCrOLZ.jpg
y3OVwtG.jpg
G1ETt33.jpg
vGCf7yQ.jpg
FeC1Y5W.jpg

This would mean 6 black, 3 red, 2 white, 2 light blue, 1 navy, and 1 orange.

• Like 3
  • Hurl 1

What does a black helmet do for the Jets or Eagles exactly? The green helmet gets lost anyway with such poor contrast. Might as well leave an additional speck of your ACTUAL team color.

I will say, some of these work better than expected (Cardinals, maybe Bills), but some are just destroying color balance (Texans, Bears, Titans). That Bears look is especially pitiful without the navy helmet.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, canzman said:

OEBbvXN.jpg

The decal shouldn't mirror/flip; the logo should be the same on both sides of the helmet (the right hand is always snapping) 

New helmet rule paves way for Patriots' 'Pat Patriot' throwbacks to return  | RSN

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So, if I am understanding this correctly, the alternate shells can only be worn with an alternate or throwback...

...which means New Orleans is going to be stuck having to wear it with the throwbacks? 

That is disasterous. That black helmet would look fine with the regular home or road jerseys, honestly, but it clashes way too much with the throwback b/c the helmet sticker doesn't jive with the stripes present on the sleeves, pants, etc. 

They're taking a pretty solid alternate classic and bastardizing the hell out of it. Why didn't they pick a white lid with a black/gold/black stripe? That would have looked amazing. 

The incomepetance of teams sometimes ... really not thinking things through. Also, I am still hopeful Atlanta will dress the red lid with the modern logo and a black facemask to wear with the gradient uniform. That would be allowed, right?

• Like 3

On 6/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, NFLfan10 said:

I will say, some of these work better than expected (Cardinals, maybe Bills), but some are just destroying color balance (Texans, Bears, Titans). That Bears look is especially pitiful without the navy helmet.

I understand what you are saying but not having balance might be what some teams are looking to do as a different/alternate look.

Many of the younger players and as a result the younger fans seem to really like mono looks. Some teams may be embracing that as an alternate look. I would prefer that they have the option to present it on occasion as an alternate look over not having the option and perhaps making it the permanent change.

I love classic timeless traditional looks but then again I'm not young. 🙂 I think these mono looks (ice/white out, black out, etc.) are just the current trendy fad. 10 years from now people will look back and be able to identify this era just from the amount of mono uniform combos seen.

Prior to 1996 there wasn't really any mono looks aside from mono white.

Denver's current set was introduced then and they only wore the all blue that year in the preseason. Mono colored combos really were not seen again until the 2000's There were a few teams with mono color options in the 30's and 50's but it was the exception not the norm. Now there are only 4 teams that don't have a mono colored option (Raiders, Cowboys, 49ers, and Giants). The only reason the 49ers don't is b/c the ditched the all blacks.

Every other team has at least one mono color option
Bears (All navy)
Bengals (All black)
Bills (All Blue and all red)

Broncos (All navy and all orange)

Browns (All brown)

Buccaneers (All pewter)

Cardinals (All black and all red)

Chargers (All royal and all navy)

Chiefs (All red)
Colts (All blue)

Commanders (All burgundy and All black)
Eagles (All black and All midnight [not worn since 2002 but still an option])

Falcons (All black)
Jaguars (All black and all teal)

Jets (All Green and all black)
Lions (All Blue)
Packers (All Green)
Panthers (All Black and all Blue)
Patriots (All Navy)
Rams (All Blue)
Ravens (All Purple and all Black)
Saints (All Black)

Seahawks (All Navy, All Grey and All Lime)
Steelers (All Black)

Texans (All Navy)
Titans (All Navy and all blue)
Vikings (All Purple)

1 hour ago, canzman said:

wNaMpL1.jpg
RUuQK8c.jpg
7g7ksCm.jpg
A3nV7YG.jpg
Z02Qguk.jpg

15 teams were reported to have alt shells in 2022. Here is my guess on the other 10 taking into account that the shell seems to have to be paired with an alternate uniform and not the standard home or away jersey. As well as taking into account some of the teams who have had their names come up.

RzfLhsR.jpg

The Bengals long talked about white helmets won't be an option unless they also have an alternate white jersey. Not sure if the League would let them bring back the previous color rush jersey. If not I am guessing inverted shell...
wvyvBhU.jpg

Red for Bills that will likely get paired with throwbacks in 2023.
FS52qlc.jpg
nrOJCdT.jpg
JKXQa51.jpg
DVCrOLZ.jpg
y3OVwtG.jpg
G1ETt33.jpg
vGCf7yQ.jpg
FeC1Y5W.jpg

This would mean 6 black, 3 red, 2 white, 2 light blue, 1 navy, and 1 orange.

Houston should REALLY go with the original helmet unveiled...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

So, if I am understanding this correctly, the alternate shells can only be worn with an alternate or throwback...

...which means New Orleans is going to be stuck having to wear it with the throwbacks? 

Yes and no. They will have to wear them with those this season. It is possible they have some other alternate planned but given the turn around time the NFL requires is preventing them from having the jersey in 2022. 

It is very possible they may introduce a new alternate that works really well with this helmet in 2023 or 2024. I know what you will probably say... "then why not wait and introduce the entire thing when the uniform is ready?"

Money is the answer... these alternate helmets will sell be they mini, replica or authentic. They are not about to waste 1 or 2 seasons worth of merchandise revenue waiting on the uniforms if in fact they're even planning uniforms.