NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

3 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

This point makes no sense. I mean, the Saints have a gold helmet. Does that make it redundant for them to have gold anywhere on their jerseys? What about pants stripes matching the helmet stripes? Why do you need the same striping pattern in two places? It's their logo, it should be prominent. And even if you want to say it being redundant is a valid reason not to use it on the sleeves, numbers are even more redundant. At least you have to travel to a different piece of equipment to find the logo. The numbers already exist multiple other, massive places on the jerseys. They also just aren't a good shape for the space.

I think the argument works somewhat if you're advocating for sleeve stripes. They aren't redundant and look good most of the time. But numbers on the sleeve add no team branding, look bad, and are even more redundant than the logo.

spacer.png

• Like 10

On 6/22/2022 at 4:56 PM, Lights Out said:

The throwbacks still suck no matter how many times the Patriots drag them out of mothballs.

LOL, I see this opinion is deeply unpopular. 🤣

I'm still standing by it. Pat Patriot is an illustration, not a logo, and it's too detailed, too vertical, and not horizontal enough to look good on a helmet. It's inferior not only to the Flying Elvis, but also to the rejected 1978 prototypes and the 1960 tri-quarter hat logo. The uniforms in general look more like Ole Miss, LaTech or FAU than a professional football team, and they're mostly associated with decades of heartbreak and futility on the field. And the specific version of that look they always choose to throw back to isn't even the best one in my opinion (I prefer the 1967-69 version).

I've said it many times, but the 1993 uniforms were the best the Patriots ever looked and they made a big mistake by ever changing them. Even the red numbers on the home jersey would have stopped being as much of an issue once everything switched over to HDTV.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I'm still standing by it. Pat Patriot is an illustration, not a logo, and it's too detailed, too vertical, and not horizontal enough to look good on a helmet.

The Oilers' derrick (and similarly, the Roughnecks XFL logo) is nearly the exact same shape as Pat Patriot (Pat might even be more horizontal), and nearly everyone thought it was fantastic and want it too return, too. In this photo, Pat covers far more of the side of the helmet, which is actually a good thing. 

NFL 100: Best players in Tennessee Titans-Houston Oilers history 

• Like 7

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

26 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Oilers' derrick (and similarly, the Roughnecks XFL logo) is nearly the exact same shape as Pat Patriot (Pat might even be more horizontal), and nearly everyone thought it was fantastic and want it too return, too. In this photo, Pat covers far more of the side of the helmet, which is actually a good thing. 

NFL 100: Best players in Tennessee Titans-Houston Oilers history 

So the Pat Patriots are just Oilers Condensed

• Like 3

The redundancy is that since the Elvis is on the shoulder, there's basically nothing between the two Elvi' from nearly any profile view.  In traditional uniforms, the number would be in between and the logo much smaller on the sleeve.  

Again, I don't think this is a big deal, but it's certainly redundant in this case.  It would be similar to having the logo on the shoulder and sleeve.  Now since merchandising is such a big thing, and no sane fan walks around in a jersey and helmet, it's fine, but definitely redundant.

Trying to make a point that the second 8 in the number 88 is an equivalency is beyond a stretch.

MARITN-CURTIS-160905-215.jpg-%D7%A7%D7%A8%D7%98%D7%99%D7%A1-%D7%91%D

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

If I’m reading all this correctly, you seem to want blank uniforms. Solid colors and no differentiating designs.

Either you’re really grasping at straws or you’re in the midst of an existential crisis.

I was pointing out that it's extremely inconsistent to say having multiple of the same logo on a uniform is redundant. There are multiple of plenty of things on uniforms and nothing else is called redundant.

• Like 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

The redundancy is that since the Elvis is on the shoulder, there's basically nothing between the two Elvi' from nearly any profile view.  In traditional uniforms, the number would be in between and the logo much smaller on the sleeve.  

Again, I don't think this is a big deal, but it's certainly redundant in this case.  It would be similar to having the logo on the shoulder and sleeve.  Now since merchandising is such a big thing, and no sane fan walks around in a jersey and helmet, it's fine, but definitely redundant.

Trying to make a point that the second 8 in the number 88 is an equivalency is beyond a stretch.

MARITN-CURTIS-160905-215.jpg-%D7%A7%D7%A8%D7%98%D7%99%D7%A1-%D7%91%D

But it works for the Cowboys.

Cowboys Color Rush Uniform — UNISWAG

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

On 6/23/2022 at 12:09 AM, Old School Fool said:

Red facemask, white jersey, red pants. It was so good.

232341_original.jpg

Speaking of red facemask, an article on the Patriots website said that they actually thought of bringing back the red facemask this time with the throwbacks but the white one won out in a vote among people in the organization. They also seem to be aware that people want to see the Bledsoe era look again.

The Patriot's best look ever!!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I've said it many times, but the 1993 uniforms were the best the Patriots ever looked and they made a big mistake by ever changing them. Even the red numbers on the home jersey would have stopped being as much of an issue once everything switched over to HDTV.

Count me as another fan of the 93 look. I love the red numbers and mismatched shoulder numbers, and the pants stripe was unique without being ridiculous. Then they stripped it of any character in 94 before getting a bit goofy in 95.

• Like 2

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I'm still standing by it. Pat Patriot is an illustration, not a logo, and it's too detailed, too vertical, and not horizontal enough to look good on a helmet. It's inferior not only to the Flying Elvis, but also to the rejected 1978 prototypes and the 1960 tri-quarter hat logo. The uniforms in general look more like Ole Miss, LaTech or FAU than a professional football team, and they're mostly associated with decades of heartbreak and futility on the field. And the specific version of that look they always choose to throw back to isn't even the best one in my opinion (I prefer the 1967-69 version).

I like the Patriot Pat logo but I agree that it is way too detailed for a helmet. It belongs on stationery like teams had back in the day. I also agree with you that their best look was the 1993 look. I like the more simplified jersey with the non-italicized numbers and no sublimated stripes. I didn't mind what came after the 93 look but it was inferior. 

Still, I'm glad the Patriot Pat uniform is back. It beats the hell out anything they have worn for the last 20 years.

• Like 1

This argument about redundancy is sort of silly, but I guess that’s why we’re here. 

The point is pretty clear: it would be ideal to have a jersey design that neither shoehorns unnecessary TV numbers onto sleeves or shoulder caps and also avoids repeating a team’s helmet logo just to save space. 

The point about needing logos on a jersey to make them recognable on streetwear is valid. I just think there are more attractive workarounds.

This is why uniforms need either distinctive sleeve striping and/or really strong secondary logos, which not enough teams have. I also think the word marks under the collar have some utility in this circumstance.

• Like 3

The funny thing about the Pat Patriot logo is that they used a very detailed version on the helmet and only the helmet. It was actually simplified in other places.

Here's the helmet logo, which I had to find from a Fathead sticker since it's very hard to find and the simplified logo is way more common and assumed to be what's on the helmet.

d3PBugm.png

Tony%20Eason.jpg

Now here are the two versions that are everywhere and what was used in stuff like TV graphics, marketing, etc.

1200px-New_England_Patriots_logo_old.svg

jeic0a9nlfygshzxtkrfx1ipp.png

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

But it works for the Cowboys.

Cowboys Color Rush Uniform — UNISWAG

I never said it "didn't work" in some cases - I like those Patriots jerseys, despite the incredible redundancy.

Also. just because someone else does it, doesn't mean "it works".  The unnecessary star is the least of the issues with that Cowboys uniform.  

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

26 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Also. just because someone else does it, doesn't mean "it works".  The unnecessary star is the least of the issues with that Cowboys uniform.  

“eVeRy TEaM sHoULd WeAR mOnO! SeE, iT wOrKS fOr tHe sEaHawKS!”

• Like 1