NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

A little amazed at the push back against non-throwback alternate helmets in the NFL. Especially since for the first 30 years of the NFL, wearing different helmets was often the norm, not the exception.

To me, it a lot comes down to how a team choses to deploy uniform combinations week to week rather than the number of possible outcomes.

Let's compare the two Ohio teams, the Bengals and Browns. (for illustrative purposes, I am counting the Browns throwbacks as distinct)

Both teams wore three jerseys, three sets of pants, and three socks in 2021. But the Bengals wore 10 distinct combination and the Browns wore 5.

If the Saints opt to only wear their black helmets with the color rush fauxbacks, they will not change the number of uniform combinations compared with last season. If they mix and match with their other uniforms, that's going to change things dramatically.

The Rams are only supposed to have four uniforms at this point bone/bone, blue/blue, blue/yellow, white/yellow. However, the team has made the decision to mix the jerseys and pants in unintended ways.

• Like 7

The Panthers just need to do a smidge of cleaning up, things that really only us would notice.

Drop the shoulder numbers, and move the shoulder stripes a tad higher on the shoulder. Make the silver outlines a consistent width, and then match the pant stripe to said width. Decide if they stripes should close in the armpit or not.

The black helmet is nice, but the decal should match the shoulder panther (or change the shoulder panther to match the helmet). A small blemish, but the black helmet is one that does fit the team identity.

• Like 1

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

7 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Both teams wore three jerseys, three sets of pants, and three socks in 2021. But the Bengals wore 10 distinct combination and the Browns wore 5.

The Browns only wore 2 socks in 2021. Brown mid-calf striped and white striped. 

41 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

It's official. All non-throwback alternate helmets suck.  All of them. And getting to see a small handful of decent throwbacks was 1000% not worth all the complete garbage that's going to come along with it.

Few people on these boards where I admire their personal taste more, especially based on your concepts which are always great, but to play devil's advocate -- where's the fun in only wearing what's been worn before? 

I am excited about what the two helmet system can bring to the table. The only one that just flat out makes no sense and doesn't look good, so far, is the Saints one. 

If the NFL -- and this is a big if -- actually enforces the rules around when these can be worn, it'll be fine. It's only an issue when teams like the Saints make just asinine decisions, like wearing a Seahawks-esque contemporary style with a throwback.

Are teams still going to find a way to screw this up? Yes. Are "all non-throwback helmets" bad? Nah, so far we've gotten some fantastically complementary new pieces to teams uniform sets. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I am excited about what the two helmet system can bring to the table. The only one that just flat out makes no sense and doesn't look good, so far, is the Saints one. 

If the NFL -- and this is a big if -- actually enforces the rules around when these can be worn, it'll be fine. It's only an issue when teams like the Saints make just asinine decisions, like wearing a Seahawks-esque contemporary style with a throwback.

Are teams still going to find a way to screw this up? Yes. Are "all non-throwback helmets" bad? Nah, so far we've gotten some fantastically complementary new pieces to teams uniform sets. 

Well, sure, the idea of idea of an alternate helmet, as a basic concept, doesn't have to suck... I'm just of the opinion that the reality of it is that it will.  Take the NBA... having extra uniforms mixed in, if done carefully, with restraint and a firm eye on tradition, could be interesting. But the reality of it? Absolute nightmare.

Am I wrong, or is the NFL already not enforcing any rules about when you can wear an alt helmet? The Bengals' alt jersey is orange, and they've already stated they wearing an all white uniform.  The Panthers' alt is blue, and they're posting images of their alt helmet worn with the black.

As you say, teams will definitely screw this up. They're doing so already. The question is, will the one or two interesting new combinations be worth all the mess that will... hell, already is, coming with it. 

As for all those cool throwbacks. IMO, only the Patriots and the Buccaneers have throwbacks in the closet that are worth being alternate looks. Every other team that will take advantage of the alternate throwback helmet... Falcons, Eagles, Broncos... would be much better served by dropping the current crap looks and bringing versions of those helmets back permanently.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

The fact that there’s support for this decision and design at all on this website of all places makes it feel like the acclaim is over the top. Im already gonna hate every alternate helmet that comes down the line before I even see it just from the implication for the direction of the league’s aesthetics alone. And they still did even worse than I could’ve imagined. The fact that the helmet is black with only blue details when the blue parts on every other black piece are accented with silver makes it look disjointed and so so soo amateur. Exactly like something a college or high school team would pull. And matte helmets SUCK. Across the board. Period. At every level, no matter what’s going on below the chin. Man, I’m tired.

I hate it too, but I can separate my hate of having alternate helmets from my opinion of the individual designs.  They don't need to exist, and I don't want them to exist, but they do, so they can be evaluated fairly just like everything else.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, dont care said:

How do you make a matte decal? It will always end up looking glossy because it’s rubber and not painted, and even if it was the outer surface will still be the smooth glossy rubber

I used to think the same thing...but decals are vinyl, and matte vinyl is a material that is sold. 

A number of college teams use matte decals (Purdue, Michigan State, the white Virginia helmet). The Panthers are the first NFL team to use a matte decal I think, though the Browns' carbon fiber stripes might have been matte. NASCAR teams like Kurt Busch and Truex used matte vinyl wraps when they drive matte finished cars. 

See how the decal isn't glossy/shiny at all?

Michigan State Spartans Riddell Speed Authentic Helmet - White – Green  Gridiron, Inc.

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

32 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Throwback socks had different stripe proportion.

Jersey, yes. Socks were the same:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I don’t know how you figured this out, but it’s absolutely true. Honestly, just this morning I was laying in bed. I rolled over, woke up my wife and said, “Dog, I just wish I was this kid who posts on this website I visit.” She was really nice about it. She patted my arm and said, “Dog, I understand.”

Today, we are all willforgetmylogin... inside, brother.🫂

9 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

It's beautifulspacer.png

spacer.png

I wouldn't be upset is they dropped the silver and went with this helmet full time. It's gorgeous.

(obligatory complaint about the black socks ruining this. It would look so good with blue)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

I hate it too, but I can separate my hate of having alternate helmets from my opinion of the individual designs.  They don't need to exist, and I don't want them to exist, but they do, so they can be evaluated fairly just like everything else.

Exactly. I explained both why I hate the rule AND why I hate the design.

And before I even need to get into the nitty-gritty with the color composition and proportions and consistency and on, I can just say that teams who forsake their normal helmet in favor of playing FCS dress up don’t look like themselves anymore. Which I think looks bad as a nonstarter. 

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, sure, the idea of idea of an alternate helmet, as a basic concept, doesn't have to suck... I'm just of the opinion that the reality of it is that it will.  Take the NBA... having extra uniforms mixed in, if done carefully, with restraint and a firm eye on tradition, could be interesting. But the reality of it? Absolute nightmare.

I don't even think the NFL should have third jerseys, let alone second helmets. There's no time! What a terrible mess.

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love the design for the Panthers helmet, it’s long overdue. I like the entire design except for the all blue logo decal. It needs the eyes and teeth white on the logo to really help in my opinion. I hope they eventually go with this as their default helmet and make the silver their throwback alt.

I’ve been a big advocate of them phasing out the silver completely for years which which they’ve slowly done with Tepper.

There really is no reason for them to have a 4 tone color scheme, it’s always made things tough on uniform combos.

They really just need the Blue, White, and Black. 

• Like 5

okSZRMT.gifEaHphDp.gif