NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

10 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

I cant quite get behind this jersey because the yellow trimmings are so thin that they get devoured by the white. I don’t think they’ve ever topped themselves in terms of yellow presentation when it comes to their current look.

• Like 9

That's okay, because going purple and white with yellow accents keeps them from looking like the football Lakers. 

I agree that the LSU road jerseys never made sense for them.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Plus, they look less like the Packers by limiting gold to an accent color.

Despite being a matchup between two teams with classic uniforms, Super Bowl XLV was proof that too much yellow is a thing.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Why did it become so hard to get NFL players to wear their socks properly? They seemed to demonstrate relative proficiency in wearing shirts, pants, and shoes, but somehow socks became an avenue for personal expression. I don't get it. 

They can’t seem to figure out shirts either 

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

Count me as considering the Vikings uniforms to be the best they’ve ever had, by a wide margin. Would I prefer they had a matching purple facemask, & that they match the white pants stripe to the stripe of the white jersey? Sure.

But if I was forced to choose between dealing with those minor nitpicks & taking the risk of a complete redesign, I’d take their current look as-is for the rest of time.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1

7 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

usatsi_3667378.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
9-B35-DD2-C-6-C86-4-C33-9138-7-F34-EDF97

One is a classic, while the other is “inconsistent.”

The Houston Oilers have done immeasurable damage to how we assess striping schemes.

The Vikings are the classic in this example, right?

In all seriousness, the Vikings look shown here is at least as cohesive as that iteration of the Bears, if not more. Setting up some loose parameters, you have four elements: helmet, jersey (sleeves), pants, and socks. The Vikings have three distinct stripe patterns/treatments: helmets and socks have no stripes, and the sleeves and pants have distinct patterns. The Bears have four different stripe patterns/treatments: Nothing on the helmets, "away" stripes on the jerseys, Braisher-esque stripes on the pants, and "home" stripes on the socks. So that's four non-matching elements for the Bears, and three for the Vikings.

Admittedly the above is a very loose/reductionist view of football uniform design. But just from looking at these two uniforms side by side, the Vikings feel more consistent given the color balance of the various striping and stripe-adjacent elements.

Also, I hear what you're saying about the Oilers. Though I think they are a singular, or at least rare, exception. I have always hated the argument that the below stripe patterns are "the same":

spacer.png

The helmet, sleeves, and pants all exhibit different striping patterns on top of three different background colors. (Essentially: helmet: Braisher, sleeve: Auburn-style Northwestern, and pants...is there a term for that style?) If you lifted those stripes off of that uniform, you'd have (from top to bottom) 1) three stripes that touch, 2) three stripes with a gap in between each, and 3) a pair of paired and mirrored stripes. I understand the argument the other way (that by putting orange on the outside, they're actually the same stripes, white bordered by blue bordered by orange repeated three times), but physical application of the elements to the uniform (either in actuality or at least in perception) makes it so that the color of the uniform article to which the stripes are applied doesn't count as a stripe in and of itself. In other words, there's no orange stripe on the helmet, there are no blue stripes on the jersey (it's just the jersey itself showing through between the orange and white stripes), and there is no white stripe on the pants; it's just the pants.

However, the Oilers don't appear to have disparate striping elements in the same way (even though arguably the same principle applies) because they better conform to other striping consistencies, like matching the helmet and pants stripes and the jersey and sock stripes. The 1986 Oilers actually accomplished this best between both their home and away uniforms (individual stripe thickness notwithstanding). The away uniforms simply feature essentially the same stripes on all four elements (because everything was white anyway) and the home uniform features consistent striping between the helmets and pants and the jerseys and socks. The away, in particular, satisfies both camps.

spacer.png

As ever, all of this is highly subjective. Others may not perceive stripes in the same physical-application way that I do, so the colors of the uniform may read as additional stripes. As such, I don't necessarily present the above as an argument, except that the Vikings look presented is more consistent than the Bears', (and to a degree, agreeing that calling that particular Bear's look "classic" just because it's old is something this board is generally prone to doing, or at least conferring more favorable opinions to old looks just because of their age). Most of this post is simply an explanation of how I understand stripes on football uniforms. (And I don't think I've every actually written that down before.)

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

The Houston Oilers have done immeasurable damage to how we assess striping schemes.

Hot take: Da Bears should match the pants to the sleeve

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

I'm actually in the camp that the Vikings should go with the Pants style on the sleeve. Seeing the white pants with the purple jersey, I really does make a lot of sense and it would hold with a theme that the yellow on the uniform only ever touches purple. You can see from this image how the yellow stripe on the jersey gets a little lost.

Also side note: I really want to see this with a white facemask.

• Like 4

Remember that pants in football have used much different material compared to jerseys and socks over the last century. 

That fabric change has usually meant a different aesthetic, even for teams wearing white over white.

The Bears have not worn white over white since Game 1 of 2009 or as I like to call it, the "Aaron Rodgers Supervillain Origin-Story" Game.

4 hours ago, jn8 said:

Hot take: Da Bears should match the pants to the sleeve

Not that hot but for teams with traditional uniforms and striping you can get away with jersey and sleeve stripes mismatching if you have another element to tie them to. For instance you can have helmet/pants stripes match and a different sleeve pattern or you could have sleeves/socks stripes match and have a nice cohesive look. Bears with blue pants and when they've worn white pants in the 2k's have worn white socks with white jerseys so it ties out with the socks causing less of a clash with the pants. 9ers could do this as well with road socks but they abandoned stripes long ago.

On 8/28/2022 at 8:13 PM, Bathysphere said:

I cant quite get behind this jersey because the yellow trimmings are so thin that they get devoured by the white. I don’t think they’ve ever topped themselves in terms of yellow presentation when it comes to their current look.

Hard to beat this.

Vikings hope to control Randy Moss ahead of monster year - Sports  Illustrated Vault | SI.com

• Like 7
  • Love 3

13 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Hard to beat this.

Vikings hope to control Randy Moss ahead of monster year - Sports  Illustrated Vault | SI.com

I would love for the Vikes to go back to this set full-time, but my only problem would be that the home jersey would not match, If the purple jersey had white/gold/white (or gold/white/gold) UCLA stripes, it would be a top-5, maybe top-3 NFL set.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

All I have to say about the Vikings uniforms: don't touch a damn thing. They're the best modern uniforms in the league, and I hope they stick around for a long time

*cough* Fix the numbers... *cough*

• Like 7

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."