2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

4 hours ago, charger77 said:

Since the Wild have twice used North Star jersey template is there any chance we'll see the Wild use any of these in the future?

oidnhm4hi49p4qbv0x5zf3wsu.gif

This would be a cool RR for Minnesota to do. They could use their dark green as the base, then kelly green as the top stripe, red as the middle, yellow for the bottom, then replace white with cream. That would be *chef's kiss*

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

I get that. They could have made the base aqua or orange or even black if they wanted to mix it with its own era or others but... the way I see it? The RR look is supposed to be the Fisherman mixed with the classic identity. Or in otherwords "what if the Fisherman was more traditionally styled?"

Maybe that's not what people want out of that identity, but I get the intention. 

The Islanders' fisherman RR is the only RR that completely disregarded the striping patterns of the jersey it was based on. No other team in either iteration of the RR program changed the striping of their jersey like the Isles did. Plenty of teams tweaked small elements of old jerseys, sure, but nobody else decided to scrap the source material as hard as the Isles. I don't think it's unreasonable to say the Islanders didn't do a Reverse Retro as much as they did an entirely new jersey that just doesn't feel like the fisherman.

20 minutes ago, M4One said:

I expect the striping pattern to be the same, or at the very least, as close as possible to the original.  The waist stripes look absolutely nothing like the original.  I don't think the sleeve stripes are even similar and the yoke doesn't look right either.  What colours they use or how they are used is not the problem.  These two jerseys do not look alike.

Couldn't have said it better myself. NHLUniforms.com says that "the degree of difficulty in re-creating [the fisherman]" might be why it doesn't look the same, but I call BS. If Adidas can perfectly translate the Lightning's storm uniform to their template, elongated yokes and all, they 100% could've done the same with the fisherman.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, M4One said:

I expect the striping pattern to be the same, or at the very least, as close as possible to the original.  The waist stripes look absolutely nothing like the original.  I don't think the sleeve stripes are even similar and the yoke doesn't look right either.  What colours they use or how they are used is not the problem.  These two jerseys do not look alike.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

I like the Islanders' RR as sort of "what if?" if the Islanders' Fisherman had been designed more in like with, say, the Lady Liberty jerseys then following all the 90s trends they did. 

• Like 3
  • Huh? 1

9 hours ago, M4One said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Is it me, or do the New York teams (Rangers and Islanders), just not care enough to try?  It looks like they just look at it and go, "Eh, that's good enough."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, M4One said:

I expect the striping pattern to be the same, or at the very least, as close as possible to the original.spacer.png

It looks like they took the hem striping from the prototype version of the jersey instead of the final version. It matches almost exactly.

spacer.png

• Like 4

14 hours ago, IceCap said:

I like the Islanders' RR as sort of "what if?" if the Islanders' Fisherman had been designed more in like with, say, the Lady Liberty jerseys then following all the 90s trends they did. 

Kind of fun to imagine the alternate universe where instead of throwing out the fisherman entirely they just dialed it back and cranked the 90's down. Probably would've eventually evolved into something resembling this RR look. 

That's a free concept series idea for anyone who wants it and is less lazy than I. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

Bias alert: I am a Blues fan, so I'm sure that plays into this post. But the Blues look rad in the RRs last night. 

Pavel Buchnevich scores in shootout, Blues beat Capitals 5-4 | FOX 2

I’m generally not the biggest fan of gold/yellow hockey sweaters, but I think this Blues one is excellent. I think it helps that’s there’s a significant amount of blue in the uniform to balance it out, but in any case, they look great to me. It was a really good idea to reference the ‘67 prototype instead of re-hash one of the other throwbacks. 

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Kind of fun to imagine the alternate universe where instead of throwing out the fisherman entirely they just dialed it back and cranked the 90's down. Probably would've eventually evolved into something resembling this RR look. 

That's a free concept series idea for anyone who wants it and is less lazy than I. 

That's what I'm saying. There was actually a discussion here years back about how the Fisherman could have been the Islanders' version of the Lady Liberty sweaters if they just dialed back a few elements. 
This RR seems to be doing that so I dig it as a thought experiment. 

The one thing I'd have liked to have seen would have been the lighthouse logo on the shoulders. But otherwise it's a pretty good looking sweater. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m generally not the biggest fan of gold/yellow hockey sweaters, but I think this Blues one is excellent. I think it helps that’s there’s a significant amount of blue in the uniform to balance it out, but in any case, they look great to me. It was a really good idea to reference the ‘67 prototype instead of re-hash one of the other throwbacks. 

Never realize how much being a Gopher fan has influenced my hockey aesthetics—I’m accustomed to gold jerseys to a degree that in many cases I prefer them. Most of my Gopher jerseys are gold, not maroon or white. My favorite Bruins jerseys are their gold 2010 Winter Classics and the original those were based on. I think of the Preds as a gold team, not a blue team. And I’d like to see the Wild, Sharks, Kings, and Pens do gold-based reverse retros.

I’m sure if my favorite team weren’t gold, I probably wouldn’t feel this way because gold, whether athletic or Vegas, is an in-your-face color (I guess old gold is more low key though).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

The one thing I'd have liked to have seen would have been the lighthouse logo on the shoulders. But otherwise it's a pretty good looking sweater. 

I can't understand calling the Fisherman 2.0 a good sweater when it has design flaws like this:

FfhZ52GWIAAdpyj?format=jpg&name=large

The whole thing feels like a half-baked attempt to balance '90s nostalgia with Lou Lamoriello's deep-rooted disdain for fun. The result is a jersey that just feels boring, cheap, and half-assed.

• Like 6
  • Huh? 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:58 AM, IceCap said:

The problem is that this is the era where the North Stars transitioned into the identity they'd carry into Dallas. Which gets dicey for the Wild. The North Stars aren't some dead team, they still exist. The Dallas Stars are the North Stars. And while everyone seems ok with the Wild referencing classic North Stars looks, it could get messy if they started infringing on the Stars' identity too much. 

The Wild should've been/should be the Northern Lights. Love the prospective updated N logo. Would've used green instead of purple.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Wild should've been/should be the Northern Lights. 

Veto. Minnesota Northern Lights just sounds like it's trying too hard, though the mascot could be named Aurora Bearealis. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, lopernv said:

Does anyone know when the Red Wings are first wearing their RR jerseys?

Per this article

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2022/10/red-wings-nhl-unveil-2022-reverse-retro-jerseys.html

They will debut Nov. 28 against Toronto at Little Caesars Arena. They also are scheduled to be worn Dec. 13 vs. Carolina, Dec. 31 vs. Ottawa, Jan. 10 vs. Winnipeg, Jan. 24 vs. San Jose and Feb. 11 vs. Vancouver.

• Like 1

If the NHL does something like the retro's again, then the Wild should throwback to...the Wild.  The name might seem awful to some, but they have had spectacular jerseys throughout their history.  After going with a North Stars jersey the first time, they definitely should have gone with something from their own history this year.  A red version of their original green jersey with green sleeves would have looked nice.

• Like 4