2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

The Kings just need to do a white version of the current RR look then make both of them the primary look going forward.

Plus with the Clippers off to Inglewood and the arena getting a MSG-level renovation with that sweet sweet Crypto money they can go ahead and throw purple and gold all over the place.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

VmWIn6B.png

On 2/5/2022 at 8:28 AM, nash61 said:

Not my concept, but this is really the only way to make the Fisherman work as a RR

j6in9ng5rsz51.png

Another shameless plug, but I'm partial to having a teal base rather than an orange one.

On 7/2/2021 at 7:06 PM, DTConcepts said:

pres4.png

If you're gonna throw back to the fisherman, go all-in on the 90s vibe. Pure teal.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

38 minutes ago, LMU said:

The Kings just need to do a white version of the current RR look then make both of them the primary look going forward.

Plus with the Clippers off to Inglewood and the arena getting a MSG-level renovation with that sweet sweet Crypto money they can go ahead and throw purple and gold all over the place.

With them coming out of a rebuild, this'd make a whole lot of sense. We know that the Kings' first Reverse Retro was a huge seller, which likely told the team that this is where the money is; and it's a good way to cap off your transition into a new era to have new jerseys and a new look.

I'd be surprised if they're not following up on that this time and stealth-testing a rebrand to that kind of look.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

With them coming out of a rebuild, this'd make a whole lot of sense. We know that the Kings' first Reverse Retro was a huge seller, which likely told the team that this is where the money is; and it's a good way to cap off your transition into a new era to have new jerseys and a new look.

I'd be surprised if they're not following up on that this time and stealth-testing a rebrand to that kind of look.

This year’s a complete mess branding-wise between the current look and the Gretzky-era. They’ve been really shoving the chromed out updated retro alternate look down our throats so who knows what the current plan is?

VmWIn6B.png

40 minutes ago, LMU said:

I'd think they'd make the logo purple if they went with a white version of their current RR. Not sure if a primarily white logo on white jersey would be a great choice.  They may go with a gold jersey with the white logo...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

47 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The black & silver is associated with the franchise's only Stanley Cups, and the greatest player in the history of the sport. It won't be going anywhere.

I'm sure purple & gold will be part of the alternate rotation, much like the Devils' green & red, or the Canucks skate throwback though. This allows them to have their cake and eat it too.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 7:09 AM, RyanMcD29 said:

It's Lou that hates it. Ledecky's been out here selling a ton of Fisherman merch at the team store the past couple of years.

Either way gonna be a fun one if they indeed go with it

So here’s a dreadful thought. What if Lou signs off on the RR using the fisherman template, but throwing back to the stop-gap set with the traditional Islanders crest? 

• Hurl 2

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

13 minutes ago, Frylock said:

So here’s a dreadful thought. What if Lou signs off on the RR using the fisherman template, but throwing back to the stop-gap set with the traditional Islanders crest? 

I have a feeling the owners and Adidas might outvote him on that, given their fondness for producing merchandise and social media graphics using the Fisherman logo. From what we know, they'd already produced Fisherman concepts last time that the team didn't go with, but after the lukewarm reception of their final product, Ledecky and co. are probably thinking they need to be more out there with the design to sell more jerseys; and what Islanders design is more out there than the Fisherman?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Frylock said:

Even if it's just the wave jersey instead of the full fisherman, it'll still be a top 5 RR.

• Like 1

The classic Islanders logo never belonged on the wave jersey.  The lack of teal really made it look tacked on...  The knee-jerk switch in 1997 was just a band-aid solution to quell fan dissatisfaction until the dynasty striping was restored.  Give us the real Fisherman jersey.  Both the Teal and Orange versions look great.

• Like 5

hhuYC6W.png

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • WOAH 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

15 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The black & silver is associated with the franchise's only Stanley Cups, and the greatest player in the history of the sport. It won't be going anywhere.

I'm sure purple & gold will be part of the alternate rotation, much like the Devils' green & red, or the Canucks skate throwback though. This allows them to have their cake and eat it too.

I'm a fan of the purple/gold for the kings because a) purple fits the "royalty" theme and b) its unique to the NHL. That being said, I'm fine with the silver and black, but its the rest of the uniform that needs an overhaul. The crest is awful and I hate the phantom yoke stripe. If they want to keep silver and black and go with a purple alt, fine. But at least fix the primaries. This set is extremely dated. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Isn’t royal blue and orange tied to Edmonton’s only Stanley Cups and the greatest player in the history of the sport…yet they changed that up…?

• Yawn 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Isn’t royal blue and orange tied to Edmonton’s only Stanley Cups and the greatest player in the history of the sport…yet they changed that up…?

First of all, the Oilers still use the same logo & jersey template. They just darkened the blue & made orange the home colour. Can't really compare that with the Kings.

Secondly, I think it's just a matter of time until the oilers go back to the royal blue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

And a lot of people don't like that they did!

The reason I'm hesitant to mess with a championship-winning look is two-fold. 

One, you should look like your best selves. 
Two, it's important to connect younger fans to the glory days. The team playing today dressed as the same team that won the titles in old pictures and video will help fans not around for those championships connect the team they're watching to the teams of the past. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

And they went back after a while in a look that actually suited the navy blue just fine. Now they're trying to do both navy and their original look and succeeding in neither while also trying to be "fresh" by turning the players into radioactive carrots because "oil workers" and "WHA".

What I'm getting at is that maybe Edmonton isn't the best organization to look at for being on the pulse of their fanbase. 😛

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Two, it's important to connect younger fans to the glory days. The team playing today dressed as the same team that won the titles in old pictures and video will help fans not around for those championships connect the team they're watching to the teams of the past. 

I feel like for teams that have changed their look as often as the Kings have and as long as they've been around, that's kind of a tricky proposition; some people will just connect more with the purple and gold than the black and silver because of it being a unique color scheme and champion for that to be the main look, especially when their current look is...pretty stale. It's kind of like the Canucks, except there's not as much consensus on what the "right" look for the team is.

And upholding a look because "we won stuff in it" isn't always a good idea; take the Broncos, for example. All I ever see from Broncos fans when it comes to teams needing an update are requests for new jerseys closer to their originals, even though they've won all three of their Super Bowl titles in their current look. That, to me, signals when a team's jersey has lived past it's expiration date; and I've seen a lot of chatter around purple and gold for LA since the RR came out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I feel like for teams that have changed their look as often as the Kings have and as long as they've been around, that's kind of a tricky proposition

Not really. 

It might be tricky if they had a Cup in the purple and gold, a Cup in the black and purple, and a Cup in the silver and black. Then what do you do? 

But not only are all the Kings' Cups in black and silver, but their most well known non-Cup memories- the Gretzky years- happened in black and silver. 

The Kings of the purple and gold and purple and black days were bottom feeders with not much to show for themselves, aside from wasting Rob Blake's career and an admittedly pretty sweet pad/mask setup by Felix Potvin. 

I REALLY like the RR with the Gretzky-era uniforms in the purple and gold colours. If the Kings went with that as their identity I'd be hard pressed to complain. 

But if you're looking at which Kings identities and colours are associated with the franchise's high points? It's the black and silver and nothing else. 

50 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

And upholding a look because "we won stuff in it" isn't always a good idea; take the Broncos, for example.

The Broncos' uniforms were dated ten years ago. Fan support for the old look in some form is strong. Yet they keep with their identity. 
I have to think three Super Bowl wins in four appearances is why. It may be dated late 90s/early 2000s, but damnit it's their winning look. And they see value in keeping it. 

I can't say that's wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

I feel like for teams that have changed their look as often as the Kings have, that's kind of a tricky proposition due to how long they've been around and how varied their branding has been; some people will just connect more with the purple and gold than the black and silver because of it being a unique color scheme and champion for that to be the main look, especially when their current look is...pretty stale. It's kind of like the Canucks, except there's not as much consensus on what the "right" look for the team is.

And upholding a look because "we won stuff in it" isn't always a good idea; take the Broncos, for example. All I ever see from Broncos fans when it comes to teams needing an update are requests for new jerseys closer to their originals, even though they've won all three of their Super Bowl titles in their current look.

I do agree that you shouldn't always revert to a championship look. I think most people would prefer to see the Ducks go back to their Disney look instead of the championship look. But like @IceCap said, the Kings situation is different. 

Aside from the Miracle on Manchester, they were largely irrelevant in the purple & gold. The acquisition of Gretzky, and the switch to black & silver marked a turning point for the franchise. They added purple back into the scheme, and faded back into mediocrity. They then went back to black & silver, and won the Cups almost immediately after.

I'm not opposed to them tweaking the primary look. I'd like to see just a crown as the crest, and the piping removed, but don't need any wholesale changes. Keep the purple & gold around for alternates/throwback nights.

• Like 2