2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

9 hours ago, IceCap said:

My guess is that the pedestal striping just wasn't popular, and the black alternate was (it was the height of BFBS) so they ran with that and made a white version. 

Then they decided to go back to a red primary look but they wanted to keep the striping. The chevron stripes meant that white or gold as the main secondary colour would be "too much," so they opted for black. 

And once you've committed to large black stripes on red you might as well go with a flaming black C and numbers? 

That's the progression of ideas that makes sense to me anyway. 

I think your progression of ideas makes sense to me too. I think going with the black chevrons means going with the black flaming C and black numbers because I think going with white for those would look "off". Remember, they even went with black NOB originally too.

I seem to recall hearing, keep in mind I was 7 at the time, that the introduction of the red primary was a result of the NHL switching to darks at home and the Flames wanting a red home jersey. I would also wager that while they were okay with Blasty on the road, they didn't want it to be the primary home look. I can't speak to the popularity of the Blasty alternate and the lack of popularity of the pedestals at the time the switch was made in 2000 (because I was even younger), but I wouldn't be surprised it was the reason for going with the Blasty as the base back then.

What else I think might be interesting is that the Flames switched the Hitmen to a (slightly different) chevron jersey (with a slightly different number and NOB font) for the same 1998-99 season they introduced the Blasty alternate in, which was the second season of Hitmen ownership for the Flames. That switch was also the switch to the current black/bronze/red look for the Hitmen from the original black/pink/grey Bret Hart look, which could be indicative of the Flames branding ideals at the time and the future promotion of the black Blasty to primary.

Now here's a wild thought, what if the Flames were to have gone with the chevron template, spoilered below, they gave the Hitmen? Switch the black to red, the bronze to yellow and then the red to black? I think they could have stuck with the white flaming C/numbers and red equipment with that jersey. I not good enough at editing to attempt to make that jersey with a picture nor do I think that Hitmen jersey has a editable template anywhere, so it's more of a thought exercise.

Spoiler

7642_calgary_hitman_g.jpg

dsc_4853.jpg

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

Other than the silly 90s ribbon stripe this is about the absolute maximum amount of black that the Flames could get away with, and even then it's too much.  Pants and home helmet should be red and the thick black patches at the cuffs on the home should be white.

7NQ6Qmu.png

• Like 6

VmWIn6B.png

17 minutes ago, LMU said:

Other than the silly 90s ribbon stripe this is about the absolute maximum amount of black that the Flames could get away with, and even then it's too much.  Pants and home helmet should be red and the thick black patches at the cuffs on the home should be white.

7NQ6Qmu.png

Take out the pedestal, and reduce the yoke to a stripe below the sleeve numbers (while moving the other stripes down the sleeve) and it's a pretty cool modern update of that set. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, LMU said:

IiEq8Pg.png

• Like 8

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 hour ago, LMU said:

7NQ6Qmu.png

Another shameless plug, but...

On 12/13/2021 at 2:01 PM, DTConcepts said:

Thanks for the kind words! Next up is an era mash for the Flames. As good as the Flames' "new" throwback jerseys look, I don't like the tendency for teams to directly throwback to old designs instead of creating something original. Here's my attempt to balance old and new for Calgary:

4QgyLCS.png

In my perfect world, these would be the Flames' home jerseys.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

In my perfect world, these would be the Flames' home jerseys.

You may get your wish in the form of their Reverse Retro...  Word is the pedestal template is coming back and the only decision they're mulling is whether to go with black or red as a base.

11 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

A black RR design for Dallas, eh? Hm. Could be a redux on the star, or maybe....juuuuuuust maybe.....it's a Mooterus in modern colors? 🤔

I highly doubt it’s Mooterus. It came out as a black jersey making another black jersey but replacing the gold with silver is so slight it really goes against what “reverse retro” stands for.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

I highly doubt it’s Mooterus. It came out as a black jersey making another black jersey but replacing the gold with silver is so slight it really goes against what “reverse retro” stands for.

You mean exactly what Calgary and the Rangers did? 😛

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dont care said:

They could just swap the green with the black. It's a different shade green so you still have differentiation between it and the home jerseys. I think another reverse retro jersey is the perfect time to bring it back.

2 minutes ago, Patchey13 said:

They could just swap the green with the black. It's a different shade green so you still have differentiation between it and the home jerseys. I think another reverse retro jersey is the perfect time to bring it back.

Or just change the green and gold to their newer green and silver. Minute changes is what Calgary, Florida and the two New York teams did, who's to say it can't stop Dallas? The Mooterus in their current colors is still technically a Reverse Retro even on a black backing.

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

You mean exactly what Calgary and the Rangers did? 😛

Calgary and the Rangers brought back logos people generally liked though. 

Everyone hated the Mooterus at the time and it hasn't even gotten any retro kitsch charm like the Islanders' fisherman. 

Honestly given the sheer amount of unlikeability the Mooterus got? It's best to pretend it never existed. 

• Like 5

On 2/2/2022 at 6:58 PM, Ridleylash said:

A black RR design for Dallas, eh? Hm. Could be a redux on the star, or maybe....juuuuuuust maybe.....it's a Mooterus in modern colors? 🤔

Hmm…Heavily doubt it’s North Stars inspired considering the Wild have claimed that already, and they already had a black uniform in the 90’s and the edge era, so…I’m thinking it’s gotta be a black version of the star sweaters.

spacer.png

Perhaps an inverted version with green sleeves, sweater bottom, and pants? That could possibly look pretty cool.

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Hmm…Heavily doubt it’s North Stars inspired considering the Wild have claimed that already, and they already had a black uniform in the 90’s and the edge era, so…I’m thinking it’s gotta be a black version of the star sweaters.

spacer.png

Perhaps an inverted version with green sleeves, sweater bottom, and pants? That could possibly look pretty cool.

I mean, the problem is that they already did the star last go around, I think they'll want a new design to make the new one feel more unique, especially if they end up adopting the throwback ones they did for the Zubov retirement night as alternates at some point.

Taking the Mooterus and doing it with modern green and silver seems like the obvious ploy from them, since that's A.) a popular alternate idea among fans, even if mainly because of how ugly it is (though that notably did not stop the Ducks and Coyotes) and B.) one of the few options that'd make sense for them, since they don't exactly have much else to work with, aside from like...maybe making a green version of their original design?

10 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Hmm…Heavily doubt it’s North Stars inspired considering the Wild have claimed that already

I doubt any of these unis will double dip. The appeal of one-and-done alternates from the teams' perspectives is a new design every go-around. See the ongoing cluster🤬 in the NBA. 

So I'm not sure the Wild can, or even want to, claim "dibs." It might actually behoove the league to increase sales by letting Dallas have a go at the North Stars while letting the Wild draw from another point in their history. 

More choices for everyone to keep pumping these things out bi-yearly. 

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Taking the Mooterus and doing it with modern green and silver seems like the obvious ploy from them, since that's A.) a popular alternate idea among fans, even if mainly because of how ugly it is (though that notably did not stop the Ducks and Coyotes) and B.) one of the few options that'd make sense for them, since they don't exactly have much else to work with, aside from like...maybe making a green version of their original design?

I'm not seeing anyone clammering for the Mooterus to return.

Like the Ducks and Coyotes had ugly 90s sweaters they brought back because they became kitschy and popular. Has that same historical reassessment happened with the Mooterus? I haven't seen it. 

It's just bad. 

• Like 1

My wishlist for the Reverse Retro program includes

-Purple "Anaheim" wordmark jerseys from the black/purple alts of the 2000s

-Silver Buffaslug

-Green 90s Whalers

-White McFarlane Oilers

-Silver Burger King

-Navy "Mustard" Preds

-Orange Fishsticks

-Matching White Screaming Eagle 

• Like 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17