2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

18 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Why?  Replace Blue with Red and it's pretty much the exact same mismatched uniform set, stripe for stripe.

No it's not. Never mind the Blues have stripes on their yokes the Flames don't, but the widths are different.

And who even cares if they're similar. Good G-d, man. The Blues' current unis don't even have that striping pattern anymore.

I'm gushing over a uniform from 19 years ago, one that if it weren't for Reebok's horrible vision for hockey, would likely have remained intact until at least the end of 2020, because I think it looks good. 

And if it wasn't for the ill-advised BFBS trend that led to the pedestal uniforms the 80s look would probably have continued uninterrupted. What's your point?

I don't heap praise on it because it's old or call it "timeless." 

I heap praise on the Flames' retro/current look because I like it, dude.

Once a- :censored:ing-gain you can't get out of your own way. You can't comprehend that someone just likes a uniform you dislike.

You are entitled to your opinion.  What irritates me is how you act like anyone who disagrees is engaging in some sort of sacrilege or that there's only one right answer.  There are many legitimate reasons why people can criticize the retros and there are also plenty of legitimate reasons why people can prefer the 2004-07 look.  And I'm far from the only person on these boards who does.

This is some hard core projection, my guy. Since you seem to think the only reason people like the retros is because they're "timeless."

I never said you were wrong for liking the 2004-2007 set. I never said you committed any sort of uniform sin for preferring them. I merely gave my opinion that they weren't as good as the retros, explained why I had that opinion, you decided to go full inquisitor on me.

Pardon the pun but things are not as black and white as that.  There are cases where adding black is completely unnecessary band-wagon jumping (See the Mets) and there are cases where it can improve a teams colour palette.  I'm willing to wager the majority of people on here prefer the Devil's championship winning look to their original red and greens.  I'm not one of those people but I'm not going to call it BFBS, bandwagon jumping because of my personal preference.

A trend's a trend, my dude. Sometimes trend hopping works out. Other times it ends up looking dated.

8 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

If you ask me, the Avs using the Nordiques' identity and the Devils using the Rockies' identity both make about as much sense as this hoodie:

People getting upset over teams referencing their heritage are a weird breed. If QC had a new team and the Avs were still trying to play up the Nordiques thing, ok, I 'd get it. That would be like Arizona trying to wear Jets throwbacks when there's a new Winnipeg Jets team.

But given that the league seems dedicated to not returning to QC despite all available evidence suggesting they should, then why not? Let the Avs embrace that part of their history if they want.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

And if it wasn't for the ill-advised BFBS trend that led to the pedestal uniforms the 80s look would probably have continued uninterrupted. What's your point?

I'd argue that at least a change was probably inevitable for the Flames, given the state of the Canadian economy in the 90's; there's a reason pretty much all the Canadian teams except the two oldest ones and the infantile one who just established their brand either got new brands entirely in that decade or were going to get one before moving, and that's the good ol' fashioned dough flow. It's easier to get a bunch of money flowing in if you rebrand so you can get a bunch of new merch going, and black was already pretty trendy by the early 90's...

Now, saying that, I think the big question there would be if we'd have even seen something as weird as the pedestal if that rebrand had come in, say, 1991 when experimentation was mostly limited to colors like with SJ, as opposed to being in the mid-90's during the height of the NHL's "throw literally everything at the wall and see what sticks" aesthetic phase that birthed such things as Wild Wing or the Pooh Bear; would we have instead seen something more subdued, like a simple modification of their original look to incorporate some black into it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

This is some hard core projection, my guy. Since you seem to think the only reason people like the retros is because they're "timeless."

I never said you were wrong for liking the 2004-2007 set.

Whatever you say chap. 

On 1/29/2022 at 11:49 AM, IceCap said:

We live in the real world where the Flames' uniform history has taken a few interesting turns before returning to a gorgeous, back to basics look.

Christ, you even pass off your opinion as a dyed-in-the-wool fact in the same post...

A trend's a trend, my dude. Sometimes trend hopping works out. Other times it ends up looking dated.

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Now, saying that, I think the big question there would be if we'd have even seen something as weird as the pedestal if that rebrand had come in, say, 1991 when experimentation was mostly limited to colors like with SJ, as opposed to being in the mid-90's during the height of the NHL's "throw literally everything at the wall and see what sticks" aesthetic phase that birthed such things as Wild Wing or the Pooh Bear; would we have instead seen something more subdued, like a simple modification of their original look to incorporate some black into it?

Impossible to say for certain but if the Flames had rebranded in '91, I think it would have looked a lot like the North Stars rebrand from '88. Mostly the same but with black gear and a few black stripes or outlines

Basically the pedestal jerseys but without the pedestal and the weird contrasting/incomplete sleeve stripes. Could have looked alright I guess. Not as good as the original jerseys, though

9 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Christ, you even pass off your opinion as a dyed-in-the-wool fact in the same post...

It's called an opinion, Morgan. You have regularly shown you are incapable of dealing with opinions that aren't you own because every time they crop up you have to pontificate about challenge them on every point.

I've been doing this with you long enough. I'm tired of something I used to like- talking about NHL uniforms here- turning into a G-ddamn back and forth with you because you can't just let something be.

You've made this place a chore, and I'm not letting you do that anymore. I'm done with you. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

13 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

If you ask me, the Avs using the Nordiques' identity and the Devils using the Rockies' identity both make about as much sense as this hoodie:

Men's Carolina Hurricanes Fanatics Branded Heather Gray Special Edition  Victory Arch Pullover Hoodie

That is so crazy, I might actually want one of those 😄

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd argue that at least a change was probably inevitable for the Flames, given the state of the Canadian economy in the 90's; there's a reason pretty much all the Canadian teams except the two oldest ones and the infantile one who just established their brand either got new brands entirely in that decade or were going to get one before moving, and that's the good ol' fashioned dough flow. It's easier to get a bunch of money flowing in if you rebrand so you can get a bunch of new merch going, and black was already pretty trendy by the early 90's...

"The economy" doesn't pass muster with me as an explanation because there were plenty of American teams changing too. 

And not just in hockey. The Big Four was rife with 90s trend jumping. Black for black's sake, darkening existing schemes, adopting some version of teal and/or purple...these were happening across North American sports. 

So it couldn't just be the Canadian dollar. I dare say it was just...teams hopping on trends. Everything the Canucks, Flames, Oilers, and potentially Nordiques did/would have done falls in line with trends that were taking over south of the border too. 

I'm sure the primary motivation was "money" but I'm just saying that would have been the motivation regardless of the economic situation. 

The thing is...it doesn't matter. What the Flames could have done differently in either 1995 or 2008 is irrelevant. 

I was merely pointing out that the argument "the 2003 sweaters would still be in use today if not for the Reebok Edge changes" is not a good argument. Not only can it be countered with "had they not changed their retro look in 1995 they might have worn that this whole time anyway," but both those arguments are counter-factual. The Flames did embrace BFBS in 1995. They did butcher their 2003 look in 2008 when Edge was the hockey sweater OF TOMORROW! 

So if we're going to discuss the pros and cons of certain uniforms we should realize that 1) they're all subjective opinion and 2) "but they could have done X if not for Y!" arguments aren't valid. 

I teach history and there's a reason we don't covert Harry Turtledove in the curriculum. 

• Like 4

I am not going through all the posts about the Flames. I will just say, I do not mind that the Flames have black in their color scheme.  Maybe I would have added some black trim to their current/classic red uniform, but really what they have now is great.

What bothered me about the 00's reds was just simply using black for the flaming 'C' and the numbers. I feel they should have been white, especially the flaming 'C'.  (Then again, I had always preferred that the Los Angeles Chargers have a white bolt instead of yellow ... that  is different discussion 😁)

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

19 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I am not going through all the posts about the Flames. I will just say, I do not mind that the Flames have black in their color scheme.  Maybe I would have added some black trim to their current/classic red uniform, but really what they have now is great.

What bothered me about the 00's reds was just simply using black for the flaming 'C' and the numbers. I feel they should have been white, especially the flaming 'C'.  (Then again, I had always preferred that the Los Angeles Chargers have a white bolt instead of yellow ... that  is different discussion 😁)

What's funny is that the pedestal uniforms actually had a more appropriate colour balance. They had black, yes, but it the fourth most prominent colour after red, gold, and white. 

My guess is that the pedestal striping just wasn't popular, and the black alternate was (it was the height of BFBS) so they ran with that and made a white version. 

Then they decided to go back to a red primary look but they wanted to keep the striping. The chevron stripes meant that white or gold as the main secondary colour would be "too much," so they opted for black. 

And once you've committed to large black stripes on red you might as well go with a flaming black C and numbers? 

That's the progression of ideas that makes sense to me anyway. 

The black C was always weird though. Not only because of the "it looked charred" observations, but it just flew in the face of the franchise's history. They had worn a white C for twenty years prior to abandoning it, and a white A for six years prior to that. 

Like...if the Canadiens rolled out a new red sweater with a blue C we'd all be going "what the :censored:?" It just flies in the face of the team's established visual identity. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

Then they decided to go back to a red primary look but they wanted to keep the striping. The chevron stripes meant that white or gold as the main secondary colour would be "too much," so they opted for black. 

And once you've committed to large black stripes on red you might as well go with a flaming black C and numbers?

The red version of the Blasty era jersey should have just been all red. With yellow/black/white chevron stripes. Like the RR version of Blasty basically, where it was all black instead of black with red below the chevron stripes. All red with a white C and white numbers would have pretty looked good. But then again, they would have still had the problem of being another red jersey and black pants team

3 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Like...if the Canadiens rolled out a new red sweater with a blue C we'd all be going "what the :censored:?" It just flies in the face of the team's established visual identity.

Wouldn't be that weird imo. We've had a white C before and it looked great (inb4 toilet seat jokes)

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

The red version of the Blasty era jersey should have just been all red. With yellow/black/white chevron stripes. Like the RR version of Blasty basically, where it was all black instead of black with red below the chevron stripes. All red with a white C and white numbers would have pretty looked good. But then again, they would have still had the problem of being another red jersey and black pants team

Wouldn't be that weird imo. We've had a white C before and it looked great (inb4 toilet seat jokes)

spacer.png

spacer.png

A winter classic jersey is a lot different than a home jersey. 

• Like 4

I liked the Flames in red and black - not so much the white jerseys of that era, for some reason that I can't put my finger on - but I also like them without black. I used to think the retro look was a bit garish but it's grown on me a lot.

A red and black alt more like their 2004 era jersey would be neat, otherwise I think they're better off sticking with the classic colours for their primary look.

• Like 2

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

40 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Probably but I think they were too focused on the template to realize they could have just coloured the stripes and kept the base all red. 

40 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

A white C for a throwback would work because history. A blue C as a permanent change would be weird. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

What's funny is that the pedestal uniforms actually had a more appropriate colour balance. They had black, yes, but it the fourth most prominent colour after red, gold, and white. 

My guess is that the pedestal striping just wasn't popular, and the black alternate was (it was the height of BFBS) so they ran with that and made a white version. 

That's the progression of ideas that makes sense to me anyway. 

The black C was always weird though. Not only because of the "it looked charred" observations, but it just flew in the face of the franchise's history. They had worn a white C for twenty years prior to abandoning it, and a white A for six years prior to that. 

I was alluding to the 'C' on those pedestal uniforms. To me, it brought out 'C' more than the current/classics, both red and white.  To me, that was the one redeeming aspect of the pedestal uniforms  

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

It's called an opinion, Morgan. You have regularly shown you are incapable of dealing with opinions that aren't you own because every time they crop up you have to pontificate about challenge them on every point.  I've been doing this with you long enough. I'm tired of something I used to like- talking about NHL uniforms here- turning into a G-ddamn back and forth with you because you can't just let something be.

The lack of self awareness on this post is astounding.  Literally everything you are accusing me of is what you did when you started this back-and-forth.

I've been doing this with you long enough. I'm tired of something I used to like- talking about NHL uniforms here- turning into a G-ddamn back and forth with you because you can't just let something be.

The feeling is more than mutual.  This used to be a cool place where people could their have their own opinions about uniforms.  Now it has degenerated into and endless feedback loop where everything follows a retro-is-great narrative and anything modern is (pick one) "Trendy," "BFBS," "Bandwagon Jumping" and so and so forth...  If I was interested in reading that, I'd go to Uniwatch.

You've made this place a chore, and I'm not letting you do that anymore. I'm done with you. 

Ditto.  This is the last time I am ever responding to you.

• LOL 1

The incorporation of black to an existing identity is akin to a contestant on Chopped breaking out truffle oil.  It needs to be done as sparingly as possible but nobody can manage to control themselves and it inevitably ruins everything.

• Like 10

VmWIn6B.png