Jump to content

2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes


Recommended Posts

Just now, AFirestormToPurify said:

On paper maybe. On the jersey it was not an issue at all imo. I liked the "bug eye" better. It made the buffalo look furious and demented lol. New one looks neutered

 

Just you. Black has never made sense for a team called the Flames. Maybe if they change their name to the Calgary Charred Remains, then sure, black is fine

spacer.png

 

lmao

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh. I'm tired of teams just doing direct throwbacks, even as alternates.

 

Move the brand forward. Give us something new. Don't just be lazy and slap an old design on an Adidas template.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

On paper maybe. On the jersey it was not an issue at all imo. I liked the "bug eye" better. It made the buffalo look furious and demented lol. New one looks neutered

 

Just you. Black has never made sense for a team called the Flames. Maybe if they change their name to the Calgary Charred Remains, then sure, black is fine

spacer.png

So you like the older Buffalo because it looks like it’s suffering from dementia? I think you are looking for a different word

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

On paper maybe. On the jersey it was not an issue at all imo. I liked the "bug eye" better. It made the buffalo look furious and demented lol. New one looks neutered

 It's also less complex and therefore easier to reproduce, so from a branding perspective it is an improvement.

 

Quote

Just you. Black has never made sense for a team called the Flames. Maybe if they change their name to the Calgary Charred Remains, then sure, black is fine

spacer.png

Black fire does actually exist, though getting it naturally would be difficult;

spacer.png

 

Besides, I would think using colors to effectively say your fire-based hockey team burns so hot they leave ashes and charcoal in their wake would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, dont care said:

So you like the older Buffalo because it looks like it’s suffering from dementia? I think you are looking for a different word

lmao. Doesn't it meant the same thing as mad or deranged or insane? Cause if so, yeah, that's totally what I meant. That buffalo is giving you the stink eye and you pee your pants. As far as corny 90s angry animal logos go, it's always been one of my favorites

 

24 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

 It's also less complex and therefore easier to reproduce, so from a branding perspective it is an improvement.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Every logo needs to be an emoji now but I still think it looked better before and I really hate that trend. Call me a boomer, I don't care. Things were better when artists didn't have to worry about their logo not looking too detailed and weird when shrunk to the size of an ant

25 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

 Black fire does actually exist, though getting it naturally would be difficult;

Oof now you're reaching ahah

25 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Besides, I would think using colors to effectively say your fire-based hockey team burns so hot they leave ashes and charcoal in their wake would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

Not when it's their logo that is black and looking like a burnt out, extinguished flame ;^)

Now maybe if they added jumbotron graphics that made the opposing team's logo look black and burnt (burned?) when they score a goal or win a game, now that could fire up the twitter crowd lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 4:45 PM, hormone said:

I may be on the minority, but I hate the fact that Buffalo uses more images of buffaloes than sabres.


(Pedantic guy who worked at a zoo over last summer) Ackchyually, they use more images of sabres than buffaloes because they don't use any images of buffaloes. Their imagery is bison, not buffalo.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Just you. Black has never made sense for a team called the Flames. Maybe if they change their name to the Calgary Charred Remains, then sure, black is fine

spacer.png

 

They're a hockey team with a fire-based namesake.  The jersey doesn't need to be a literal depiction of fire.

The Flames best look was from 2003 to 2007.  What they have now has serious contrast issues, especially on the home reds.

  • Like 4
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

(Pedantic guy who worked at a zoo over last summer) Ackchyually, they use more images of sabres than buffaloes because they don't use any images of buffaloes. Their imagery is bison, not buffalo.

(pushes up glasses) Ackshually, "buffalo" is also a colloquial term for bison, so they do use buffalo imagery. 😜

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

 

The Flames best look was from 2003 to 2007.  What they have now has serious contrast issues, especially on the home reds.

THANK YOU.

 

Finally, someone else says it. The Flames' colors bleed into each other too much without black trim. The Flames have never topped how they looked in the 2006-07 season when they got rid of the horse snot alternate.

  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Flames finally look like themselves again after all the years with black. They never needed black and nor did the North Stars.

 

Couldn't disagree more.  Both of those teams are rare examples of black exponentially improving an identity...  The Flames for the obvious contrast problems that come from pairing two bright-colours and the North Stars because the 88-91 set just looked so damn good.

  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

 

Couldn't disagree more.  Both of those teams are rare examples of black exponentially improving an identity...  The Flames for the obvious contrast problems that come from pairing two bright-colours and the North Stars because the 88-91 set just looked so damn good.

 

I agree that the Flames edge jersey with cookie cutter side panels and awful flag patches was a horrendous jersey. Amazing that they lasted longer than the 2nd run of the beloved Oilers dynasty uniforms.

 

However, this alternate that they unveiled a few years back is beautiful, super fitting for Calgary, and imo much superior to the 80s throwbacks. The western style cut of the shoulder yokes was a very creative element. The roundel was a solid alternate logo. They just needed to replace the script with the full black Flaming C, get a matching road white, and call it a night.

 

png

 

The Flames throwbacks should be saved for throwback nights.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

However, this alternate that they unveiled a few years back is beautiful, incredibly fitting for Calgary, and imo much superior to the 80s throwbacks. The western style cut of the shoulder yokes was a very creative element. The roundel was a solid alternate logo. They just needed to replace the script with the black Flaming C, get a matching road white, and call it a night.

 

png

 

FWIW, as I look at this picture right now and think of going to games at the Saddledome, I can't recall seeing many, if any, fans wearing these jerseys. There's people in the current/previous retros, EDGE and '04s, but none really wearing these. Heck, I can picture more people in pedestals than these.

 

The number font is atrocious and that sleeve striping is dumb. What's also dumb is that the socks they wore for these jerseys matched the jersey striping of the EDGE set and the socks they wore for these EDGE set more or less matched the striping here.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

FWIW, as I look at this picture right now and think of going to games at the Saddledome, I can't recall seeing many, if any, fans wearing these jerseys. There's people in the current/previous retros, EDGE and '04s, but none really wearing these. Heck, I can picture more people in pedestals than these.

 

It's a fair point. But the script alternates are still better than the side stripe jerseys. If the flag jerseys were better received than this alternate, that's surprising to me. I thought the alt was far superior to the regulars, at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

 

It's a fair point. But the script alternates are still better than the side stripe jerseys. If the flag jerseys sold more than this alternate, that's surprising to me. I thought the alt was far superior to the regulars, at the time.

But, there's also the fact that the flag jerseys were their primary set and fans are more likely to buy the regular set.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

Is the NHL going to do Reverse Retro uniforms in the 22-23 season?

According to Icethetics' sources as said on the latest podcast, yes. They'll be new designs for every team, and apparently some teams are "bending the definition" of the concept, whatever that means (perhaps more fauxbacks like we saw Vegas doing).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Black doesn't work for the Flames. The pedestal jerseys sucked, the early 2000s jerseys sucked a little less but would have been better with red gear and flaming white C on the red jersey at the absolutely least. The Edge flag jerseys were monstrosities, the cowboy Edge alternate also sucked, they've never looked better than they do now. Both Blasty jerseys were alright as alternates imo because they went in a totally different direction. But still. They got it right the first time

Between the Blackhawks, Devils and Senators and Hurricanes to a lesser extent, there are too many red & black teams already

I will die on this hill lol

  • Applause 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

The Flames' colors bleed into each other too much without black trim.

 

12 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Both of those teams are rare examples of black exponentially improving an identity...  The Flames for the obvious contrast problems that come from pairing two bright-colours

 

P4N9QNI.png

 

ps3bccZ.png

 

(Oddly enough, I created these nearly a year ago to the day.)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.