2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

13 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

P4N9QNI.png

ps3bccZ.png

(Oddly enough, I created these nearly a year ago to the day.)

This is close to what I think the flames should look like. I like the retro but think just a subtle use of black, even less than you have used here. I think they should have the current (retro) jersey with just the thinest of black outlines separating the yellow and white. I had a concept once upon a time but alas it is lost on an old hard drive....

13 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

P4N9QNI.png

ps3bccZ.png

(Oddly enough, I created these nearly a year ago to the day.)

This isn't an improvement over what they're currently wearing. I don't mind the red & yellow bleeding together a bit, since it creates a warm fire effect. No one seems to have an issue with the Kansas City Chiefs not having black in their uniforms, so Calgary shouldn't be a problem either.

It's funny that we're already seeing BFBS making a comeback. The Mets throwing back to the black jerseys after going back to the old look, the Sabres bringing back the goat head after finally returning to royal blue, and the Flames most likely bringing back the pre-edge red & black in some form.

• Like 8

I just don't see a problem with any of these colors touching... I get that you really can't make out the yellow trim on the name and numbers, but i still don't see an issue. Calgary has a top 10 NHL look with their new primaries. This idea that bright colors shouldn't touch is overdone IMO. 

Calgary Flames Jerseys & Team Shop | CoolHockey.com

• Like 11

In fact, I would go one step further and say that teams should follow the Calgary route and eliminate more black or navy that is only in the color scheme for trim purposes. Sort of like the Chargers eliminating navy from their primaries. I love the powder, yellow, white scheme for them. 

For example, the 49ers don't need black. The eagles don't need black. The dolphins don't need navy. All NFL examples, but you get the point.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, BigBird34 said:

This is close to what I think the flames should look like. I like the retro but think just a subtle use of black, even less than you have used here. I think they should have the current (retro) jersey with just the thinest of black outlines separating the yellow and white. I had a concept once upon a time but alas it is lost on an old hard drive....

ntaLeNU.png

Slightly tweaked logo...

1H07kgy.png

• Like 1

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

2 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

In fact, I would go one step further and say that teams should follow the Calgary route and eliminate more black or navy that is only in the color scheme for trim purposes. Sort of like the Chargers eliminating navy from their primaries. I love the powder, yellow, white scheme for them. 

For example, the 49ers don't need black. The eagles don't need black. The dolphins don't need navy. All NFL examples, but you get the point.

There's no BFBS team anymore in the NHL, especially now that the Avs have dropped the black gear and away name and numbers

The one team that could mayyyybe drop navy is St Louis but I think their current uniform set is a modern classic and should be left alone. The Oilers also look better in navy and should leave royal and orange to the Islanders who balance those colours much more tastefully but then again I know that's an extremely unpopular opinion around these parts lol

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Not only is this the best Flames jersey but it's also one of the best looking uniforms in the history of the league.  Not a single concept that attempts to merge black trim with the retro template is an improvement over this.

U19tPjq.jpg

Switch the shoulder patch out for the shoulder patch from the 2013-16 alternates and you have perfection.

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

There's no BFBS team anymore in the NHL, especially now that the Avs have dropped the black gear and away name and numbers

I would say that the Ducks barely qualify as BFBS considering that they ditched one of the best looks in the history of the league to satisfy Brian Burke's West Point fetish.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

19 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Switch the shoulder patch out for the shoulder patch from the 2013-16 alternates and you have perfection.

I would say that the Ducks barely qualify as BFBS considering that they ditched one of the best looks in the history of the league to satisfy Brian Burke's West Point fetish.

Right, not gonna lie, I kinda forgot the Ducks lol. But I thought BFBS only applied when a team unnecessarily added black to their scheme (KINDA LIKE THE FLAMES DID :^)), not when a team completely rebrands and even changes their name?

And what's taking them so long to go back to their original jerseys? Shouldn't they have gotten the hint by now?

• Like 2

Just now, AFirestormToPurify said:

But I thought BFBS only applied when a team unnecessarily added black to their scheme

That's why I said they barely qualify as BFBS. For them, it was a wholesale change but it was still entirely unnecessary.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Not only is this the best Flames jersey but it's also one of the best looking uniforms in the history of the league.  Not a single concept that attempts to merge black trim with the retro template is an improvement over this.

U19tPjq.jpg

This is a concept I made with their western alts and a matching white.

It's like an updated version of their 2000s Cup run jerseys.

Uc9tFzn.png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

God we're really doing the Flames argument with the parade of SHAMELESS PLUGs again?

Funny how it's always for the same teams. The Sabres used to get a lot of those before, until they finally hit a home run with their primary look.

The Flames retros should remain authentically retro. They should be kept as they are. Keep black for a seperate jersey (or jerseys).

• Like 1

My favorite is the pre-edge set. Once the red one came out that was it. One of the best jerseys.

Out of the Flames’ current unis I like the road the best. Overall the set looks great with a darker red, but the homes still just make me think of “red Bruins”. 

I think they could really pull off a set that has black in a lower position in the hierarchy, but not just throwing it onto the current uniform. Allow for my shameless plug to illustrate what I mean. 

spacer.png

Justin Nahhas made this concept as part of a huge series and I really liked the color dynamic. Makes for a fiery look just fine and would be a slick alternate. Sorry for poor quality. I had it saved on my phone. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

and the Flames most likely bringing back the pre-edge red & black in some form

Um, pardon? Someone mentioned they thought the Flames looked better with black, and that spurred this conversation.

I'm not seeing anything that suggests the Flames are bringing the pre-Edge look back.

50 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Um, pardon? Someone mentioned they thought the Flames looked better with black, and that spurred this conversation.

I'm not seeing anything that suggests the Flames are bringing the pre-Edge look back.

I do remember Popowich stating the org wanted to keep black and the black C in the brand for stuff like retail merch and alternates even with the move to the retros as the main look, so I could absolutely buy a red 2004 throwback happening if the Buffalo jersey is part of a wider trend of jerseys.

Obviously, that's nothing concrete, though. And after all, they can't exactly do the 80's design anymore for throwbacks, can they? 😛