2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

6 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Canes have released the patch celebrating the 25th anniversary of their move to NC:

spacer.png

The Canes have an extremely solid graphic design team, this is pretty exceptional as an anniversary patch. It's simple, but contains creative design elements. The use of NC's state outline for the negative space between the 2 and 5 is so good, too, and incorporating the warning flags as the ends of the banner just ties this whole thing together so well.

Here's hoping they bring these puppies back for a throwback jersey or Reverse Retro next season to tie into the anniversary like what San Jose did;

spacer.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I don't like the gradients and the drop shadows they've put all over the logo. Design wise, it's really nice though, especially the way they implemented the warning flags.

Yeah the gradients remind me a bit of the Sens scrapped 25th anniversary logo. I'm sure the flat version of the logo will look better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 7:17 PM, Ridleylash said:

The Canes have an extremely solid graphic design team, this is pretty exceptional as an anniversary patch. It's simple, but contains creative design elements. The use of NC's state outline for the negative space between the 2 and 5 is so good, too, and incorporating the warning flags as the ends of the banner just ties this whole thing together so well.

Here's hoping they bring these puppies back for a throwback jersey or Reverse Retro next season to tie into the anniversary like what San Jose did;

spacer.png

Am I crazy if I say that I’d love to see these with a Gray or Black base, or a  the original 3rd jersey, but flip the black and gray there?

• Like 1

My ideas for RR's for next year: 

ANA: Jade version of the classics or a White variation of the black script alternates. 

ARZ: I guess we could see the 08-14 alternate changed up maybe? Not much left to do. 

BOS: The claim is that they're using a Bear. Maybe a modern take on the 24-25 jersey in black? 

BUF: Has to be Red Goathead. 

CAL: All for the pedestals coming back in some variation 

CAR: Grey version of the 08-17 alternates please, but with the updated flag. 

CHI: The 34-35 jersey in white maybe? 
COL: Love the idea of doing the unused Nords set for a RR, but I'd use the template and then do the "Colorado" script on it. 

CBJ: It's either doing a variant on the black stripe alts or using the unused jerseys from the inaugural set as inspiration. Maybe a white version of the Cannon? 

DAL: Break out the inaugurals in your current colours. Done. 

DET: Any of the Cougar jerseys in Red. Take your pick. 

EDM: White McFarlane's are going to look great. 

FLA: Go zany..... and do a Yellow rendition of your last RR's based off the yellow starter fashion jersey. Doing a red rendition is a cop-out. 

LAK: 98-99 without purple maybe? Probably a white version of this? 

MIN: You did North Stars last time. Give us a Red version of the Gaborik era set this time. 

MON: Red or Blue version of the 36-38 jersey makes sense. 

NAS: Navy version of the mustard alts? 

NJD: Black version of the Cup era set. 

NYI: Teal/Orange Fishsticks. 

NYR: Red versions of the controversial Ferguson era set. 

OTT: White version of the 00-07 alts or home jersey. 

PHI: Orange version of the 08-10 set? 

PIT: Baby blue version of the current Home/Road. 

STL: Trumpet in modern day would look nice, but so would the 92-94 set if they wanted to go the more subtle route. 

SJS: Inaugurals in black or the 01-07 alternate in white would be fun. 

SEA: Metropolitans inspired, right? 

TBL: I assume we'll see a Black version of the BOLTS jersey. 

TOR: The 22-25 St. Pats in Green. 

VAN: 85-89 in Blue, Green & White sounds fun. 

VGK: Some people are saying to go Wranglers inspired. I say just take the current RR and do a white version. 

WAS: Maybe the classic in blue or in the black, blue & gold? 

WPG: The WHA classic 72-73 set in today's colours. 

• Like 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

If we're going to be posting ideas, I've got some of my own;

PACIFIC

• ANA: Their 30th is coming up soon, so I'd expect them to ramp up the Mighty-related imagery. Maybe a jade version of their dark jersey or a purple version of the wordmark third?
  • CGY: The pedestal seems like it's a fair shot, especially if it's in black. I'd say a white Blasty, but I wonder if they're going to be bringing the 2004 red jersey back as their alternate and I don't think they'd want their new RR and alternate to be the same design with swapped logos and colors.
  • EDM: I'd be VERY surprised if the Oilers don't do a white version of their 2000's alternate; but I suppose they could do a blue version of their orange WHA alternates from the Reebok era, as well.
  • LAK: It's basically a given that LA is going to do a white version of their first Reverse Retro, I feel. It sold obscenely well and people would absolutely buy that kind of design in white.
  • SEA: This is pretty obvious; I'd be stunned if the Kraken don't make their first RR design a Metropolitans throwback. The only other option really is a Breakers design, but the Kraken like pushing the Mets right now so I think it's obvious that'll be their first Reverse Retro.
  • SJS: San Jose's another team limited by a rather small jersey pool. They've done the late 90's-mid 2000's look as their first attempt, and if they're doing a white version of their original that'd be a throwback, not a Reverse Retro...so maybe they might do something Seals-related? After all, they are connected franchises in a weird, convoluted fashion, and the Sharks have been the team that recognizes the Seals' existence the most.
  • VAN: I don't even know with Vancouver; they've got so many varied colors and jerseys that picking one is kind of just blind firing and hoping you're right. I suppose it's possible we get a WHL Canucks jersey in blue and green?

CENTRAL

• ARI: Since they're using the Kachina look full-time and I doubt they just reissue their purple Peyote, I could see them making a spin on the concept and making a fauxback, perhaps based on one of the Roadrunners incarnations or maybe even the Sundogs. Failing that, a white Peyote might do fine.
  • CHI: Chicago's done pretty much all of their designs in recent memory except for their 40's black jersey. Maybe they'll also pull a spin and do like a Cougars fauxback for some variety?
  • COL: Colorado's done the Nordiques, and I don't think they're going to double-dip since part of the reason they went Nordiques was the first round tying into their anniversary season. This round, I think they'll go with Rockies in some form; maybe one in their modern colors or their third jersey colors.
  • DAL: Dallas is another team that has limited options; they could always redux the Star because people found the last attempt disappointing, but maybe they'll spring for something unconventional like doing the Mooterus in green.
  • MIN: Minnesota's interesting; a lot of people want them to do a version of their inaugural uniforms in red, but I've noticed that the Wild are very wary of using red in general as of late; it's practically a tertiary color on the jerseys outside of the logo. I could see them doing a '91 North Stars jersey in some form, perhaps using the modern colors to get the best of both worlds.
  • NSH: Like Florida and Columbus, Nashville doesn't have that many options that they haven't already done. I suppose you could bring those white checkerboards out of mothballs, but I think it'd be way more fun to get a blue Methcat jersey. Nashville needs a blue alt that doesn't suck.
  • STL: The Blues could do an 80's design in yellow, but maybe they dig into the city's past and do a Flyers or Eagles design?
  • WPG: Red 90's. This is pretty easy, and it's one a lot of fans seem to want. Selfishly, I'd love an Atlanta jersey in WPG colors, but I doubt that happens.

METROPOLITAN

• CAR: My guess is since it's their anniversary season, we'll be seeing a lot of focus on the Canes' past; so we could see their Reebok black alt come back in red or white. Alternatively, they could do their original jersey in black.
  • CBJ: Columbus has so little when it comes to jersey history that they've already basically exhausted their options for properly retro designs, so I could see them going for a fauxback based on the Stingers or Barons; that, or maybe something Chill or Checkers-related.
  • NJD: This is pretty easy; make up for the disappointing "JERSEY" alternate and please the people who both want a cool black alternate and want the old look back by taking the 90's-2010's set and just flipping the black and red around. Alternatively, a red and green 90's design or Jersey Devils-styled fauxback could also look pretty nice.
  • NYI: The Fisherman in modern colors is the obvious pick, because the Isles don't exactly have much else, at least when it comes to good alternates to reverse. If Lou's still against it, they could do a Long Island Ducks fauxback as a fun nod to the team that paved the path for them to join the NHL.
  • NYR: Taking that old red Liberty fashion jersey and making it an ice-worn design is a great idea...but they used the Liberty last time, and two takes on the same design might be pretty dull; so I'd actually be down to see them maybe doing an NY/Brooklyn Amerks fauxback of some form. The 2018 WC jersey in red or white would be a pretty good option, too.
  • PHI: Philly doesn't change their jerseys all that much and they've done basically all the designs with their primaries that you can, so reversing one is kinda tough. Maybe they could do a Quakers fauxback, or an orange version of the 50th anniversary jersey.
  • PIT: Their late 70's design in powder blue would be nice and Pittsburgh doesn't exactly have a whole lot else...unless they do a Vegas gold alt, which I severely doubt because that's not a very popular look. Maybe we get to have a white gradient jersey?

ATLANTIC

• BUF: They did the crossed swords alt last time and they're most likely bringing the black Goathead back as their alternate next season, so this time I think we could see them try a blue version of their Winter Classic jersey from 2018.
  • BOS: If it's bear-related like the rumors suggest, I'm assuming that means they're bringing back the Pooh Bear jersey in black or white, since that's the only bear-related design they haven't touched on yet, and it'd be a big seller because it's become one of the holy grail jerseys.
  • DET: Anything's an improvement on the :censored: we got last time, but I know the two big requests among fans have been their 2014 Winter Classic jersey in cream and the Cougars throwback they had for the 75th anniversary in red, so those seem like safe choices.
  • FLA: Florida's another tricky team because they don't change their brand often, but I'd be down for a white version of their JetBlue alternates. 
  • MTL: They did a blue and red swap, of their home, but they could sneakily get away with swapping red and white on their home and get away with both saying it's reverse and making sure it befits a brand as old as their own. If they actually want to do something bold, I'd be down with a Maroons-inspired design.
  • OTT: My biggest hope is a red or white 2003 alt. Failing that, I'd be down for them trying a Nationals-based design.
  • TBL: Tampa's tough because they don't have a lot of options within their organization outside of the Storm jersey in black, but they have some pretty interesting possibilities for fauxbacks. I'd be super interested to see Tampa do a fauxback design based on the Suncoast Suns.
  • TOR: A green Leafs jersey. Why they didn't do this the first time, I have no idea; but a Leafs jersey (like the late 20's design) in St. Pats green would probably sell pretty decently as a Reverse Retro; especially in comparison to their previous attempt.

On 3/5/2022 at 2:21 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

My ideas for RR's for next year: 

TBL: I assume we'll see a Black version of the BOLTS jersey. 

I assume you mean a black version of this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJiHfzWD5S1jN5-WHY5c1

That somewhat happened already from 2014-17

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6siz10Z0QDdUmLmR2Wyf

I am really hoping its something based off of this, probably in black

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQ7InamvlRHFMWJJjcpUs

The league confirmed that next year's Stadium Series game in Raleigh will feature the Canes hosting the Capitals. We saw the leak of Carolina's jersey before they postponed the game, and I'm assuming they'll stick with it.

spacer.png

Washington will probably be wearing white. Hopefully we can finally get the Weagle on the front of a jersey, but maybe they do a reverse of the current navy alternate.

On 3/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

STL: Trumpet in modern day would look nice, but so would the 92-94 set if they wanted to go the more subtle route. 

That 92-94 set is my favorite Blues set mostly due to nostalgia. Its very simple and just splashes red into the color scheme before the craziness of what was to come. 

I've always loved this shot of CuJo:

curtis-joseph-of-the-st-louis-blues-prepares-for-a-shot-during-nhl-picture-id506087916  (436×612) | St louis blues hockey, Hockey goalie, St louis blues

And I will forever picture Hull in this jersey:

St. Louis Blues: 1984 Re-Draft A Nightmare, Worse Than The Original

• Like 3

The NHL has fully released it's updated Stanley Cup Playoff branding. The new fonts are named Victoria SC Serif and Windsor Sans, in reference to the lettering on the Cup's oldest piece and the façade of the Windsor Hotel, the location where the NHL was founded.

Here's each team's new playoffs logo; I especially like the use of team colors to differentiate each logo instead of just doing one single universal logo.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The NHL has fully released it's updated Stanley Cup Playoff branding. The new fonts are named Victoria SC Serif and Windsor Sans, in reference to the lettering on the Cup's oldest piece and the façade of the Windsor Hotel, the location where the NHL was founded.

Here's each team's new playoffs logo; I especially like the use of team colors to differentiate each logo instead of just doing one single universal logo.

spacer.png

Just a few nitpicks

Why is Detroit's trim colour white while Toronto's trim colour is silver?

Why is San Jose's trim colour orange instead of silver?

Philly needed an orange background with black trim and Nashville needed a yellow background with navy trim

Not sure why Arizona's trim colour is sand instead of burgundy

Otherwise I think the whole package looks pretty good. Reworking the logo in team colours makes it look a lot less boring and corporate. I like the idea a lot. I just hope those are the patches that are gonna be worn on the jerseys and not just used for merch and promotional purposes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Just a few nitpicks

Why is Detroit's trim colour white while Toronto's trim colour is silver?

Why is San Jose's trim colour orange instead of silver?

Philly needed an orange background with black trim and Nashville needed a yellow background with navy trim

Not sure why Arizona's trim colour is sand instead of burgundy

Otherwise I think the whole package looks pretty good. Reworking the logo in team colours makes it look a lot less boring and corporate. I like the idea a lot. I just hope those are the patches that are gonna be worn on the jerseys and not just used for merch and promotional purposes

San Jose doesn’t use silver, do they? 

Arizona’s sand (the color of home trim and numbers) contrasts better than most other colors. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

53 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

San Jose doesn’t use silver, do they?

Oops you're right I must have been wishful thinking, I meant black. They barely use orange anyway

54 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Arizona’s sand (the color of home trim and numbers) contrasts better than most other colors. 

Like I said, I'm just nitpicking lol. I still think burgundy would have contrasted just fine

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Some of those logos are awfully hopeful...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

21 hours ago, Echo said:

ECsflta.jpg?1

For some reason I'm reminded of this proverb:  “A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.”

This reminds me of the NBA Playoffs 2007 logo that's on every single team page in the mothership, some listed as "unused".

82s1cbb3pt6gqp3ztsff.gif

• LOL 4

XM4KeeA.png