2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

it doesn't help that their logo has only a small sliver of orange in the drop shadow. When designing graphics for them it is always a tough balance. They are a black/ orange team but sometimes adding orange to a design doesn't look right for them. They need to pick either the orange or the gold, and I'd say go with the orange. Go ahead an be the west coast Flyers....

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:39 AM, wildwing64 said:

cSsKNdl.png

The Ducks have been pushing orange as their secondary colour for years and yet the NHL style guides continue to be weirdly insistent on beige-gold for them.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:04 PM, MEANS said:

it doesn't help that their logo has only a small sliver of orange in the drop shadow. When designing graphics for them it is always a tough balance. They are a black/ orange team but sometimes adding orange to a design doesn't look right for them. They need to pick either the orange or the gold, and I'd say go with the orange. Go ahead an be the west coast Flyers....

I think MEANS is entirely right and it's something I've noticed about the 2014(ish)-Pres. Ducks.

In jerseys, branding and the whole entire identity package, orange is the clear secondary colour. But in instances where it is just the logo on its own, such as this playoffs logo, it is hard to go with orange (especially since I would assume the gold would still be higher in the style guide colour hierarchy and I doubt they asked the teams what colours they wanted).

Here's the Ducks one in orange. I don't think it looks that out of place, but is that just because we are so used to the Ducks using so much orange?

IHXI1fT.png

IbjBaeE.png

13 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think MEANS is entirely right and it's something I've noticed about the 2014(ish)-Pres. Ducks.

In jerseys, branding and the whole entire identity package, orange is the clear secondary colour. But in instances where it is just the logo on its own, such as this playoffs logo, it is hard to go with orange (especially since I would assume the gold would still be higher in the style guide colour hierarchy and I doubt they asked the teams what colours they wanted).

Here's the Ducks one in orange. I don't think it looks that out of place, but is that just because we are so used to the Ducks using so much orange?

IHXI1fT.png

I think the main reason is that the Flyers also use orange for their logo, while the black and gold is more uniquely Anaheim; Vegas uses a dark grey base, not black, and the only instance of logos matching are those teams that have identical jersey color schemes so there wasn't much choice.

One might argue it's a bit close to Arizona, but the shades are distinct enough at a distance that it's unlikely to be confused anyways.

I feel like if the Ducks are going to stick to their current look then the beige/sand color looks better against black. Orange is only used in a small amount on the primary logo and it kind of messes with the color balance a little bit in my opinion. Of course the best solution is to just embrace the Mighty Ducks look full time again and use jade and eggplant, but that is just wishful thinking at this point.

These graphics also support my views that Nashville should go back to using navy as their primary color. Their logo pops wonderfully on a navy background. It's really a shame they don't have a proper navy jersey in their current rotation.

Overall, I like the current branding for the most part. At first, while I like both typefaces, I didn't like them paired together. However, after seeing all the team graphics, it changed my opinion and it works. The only thing I don't care for is the photo-realistic Cup. A more stylized version would look better.

On 3/8/2022 at 12:39 PM, wildwing64 said:

cSsKNdl.png

The Ducks have been pushing orange as their secondary colour for years and yet the NHL style guides continue to be weirdly insistent on beige-gold for them.

Could be because the lighter beige color is easier to read. That or they wanted to be different from the Flyers.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Edmonton radio hosts sound pretty sure the Oilers are going back to royal blue jerseys at home next season, with navy blues sticking around as alternates (starts around 2:25) ...

I hope it also means matching road with royal blue stripes and not navy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Edmonton radio hosts sound pretty sure the Oilers are going back to royal blue jerseys at home next season, with navy blues sticking around as alternates (starts around 2:25) ...

BOOOOOOOOOO! Stop trotting out the dynasty jerseys. The orange/navy looks better. Wayne Gretzky isn't walking through that door.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 4

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Oilers going back to royal blue full-time + the Gear coming back as a RR would be perfect. Only thing I could quibble on is keeping the two-tone jerseys their thirds and not making their third the orange WHA jersey, but I imagine thirds have a specific shelf life before they can be changed and the Oilers only just added the two-tone alts a few seasons ago, so it's understandable.

The dynasty look is their best overall look, even as much as I have nostalgic fondness for the navy+copper era. It makes sense to go back to that, especially since they have the blue already done in Adidas format.

36 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

BOOOOOOOOOO! Stop trotting out the dynasty jerseys. The orange/navy looks better. Wayne Gretzky isn't walking through that door.

This isn't the Unpopular Opinions thread, Kev. 😜

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I tend to agree. I associate the orange and navy with Connor McDavid and the orange and royal with Wayne Gretzky.

Royal and orange I think it's fine for the Florida Gators. For the Oilers, I kinda prefer the darker blue, even though I'm convinced it's the unpopular opinion.

• Love 1

On 3/7/2022 at 10:08 AM, Ridleylash said:

The NHL has fully released it's updated Stanley Cup Playoff branding. The new fonts are named Victoria SC Serif and Windsor Sans, in reference to the lettering on the Cup's oldest piece and the façade of the Windsor Hotel, the location where the NHL was founded.

Here's each team's new playoffs logo; I especially like the use of team colors to differentiate each logo instead of just doing one single universal logo.

spacer.png

So much red, blue and black 🙄

I love the teal and orange together.

I love the kraken branding, but playoffs??? 😆

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

So much red, blue and black 🙄

I love the teal and orange together.

I love the kraken branding, but playoffs??? 😆

I think this is a case where using some of the team's secondary colors would liven it up a bit.

Orange for Philadelphia, yellow for Pittsburgh, purple or green for Arizona, the lighter blue for Seattle, etc.

I guess it's only really noticeable when all 32 are presented together like this though.

Looking at this page: https://news.sportslogos.net/2018/02/02/a-look-back-at-super-bowl-field-designs/football/ some of the best looking endzones IMO are the ones where teams use their secondary colors (yellow Steelers and Rams, gold 49ers, gray Eagles, orange Dolphins, etc)

spacer.png

Since it's all but been officially confirmed the Reverse Retros are coming back, here's my wishlist:

ANA: 07-14 in eggplant/jade

ARI: 07-15 in kachina

BOS: 96-07 in brown/yellow
BUF: EDGE Buffaslug in Goathead colours

CGY: Pedestal in black with 13-16 script logo and flags on shoulders

CAR: Whalers in Hurricanes colours

CHI: The 96-09 black alt in white

COL: 01-07 script alt but in Nordiques colours and spelling "NORDIQUES"

CBJ: Columbus Chill jerseys but in Blue Jackers colours

DAL: Straight 1991 Minnesota North Stars throwbacks

DET: 2016 Stadium series jerseys but with silver instead of red

EDM: 1996-97 white jerseys in navy/royal/copper/orange