2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

8 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I personally think it would be really funny if, in the WC match up between the two black-and-gold teams, neither actually wore black-and-gold: 
DjIowkg.png
Hoxjsws.png

That'd actually be awesome, but i feel that the Bruins will wear their 80's black jersey

28 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Boston again? God forbid they go someplace new like Columbus, or Seattle

Columbus doesn't have the kind of pull Boston does from a marketing perspective, and Seattle's only just come into the league; it'd be a bit early to give them an outdoor game when there's teams that have been around for a while longer and haven't had one, like Florida or Tampa.

It also doesn't help Columbus' case that the only venue they could really use for an outdoor game is Ohio Stadium on top of being a pretty small-market team in the grand picture. There's a reason that outdoor games go to the markets with the most pull (ie: the biggest ones); those tend to have the biggest venues and the most opportunity for making money.

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Columbus doesn't have the kind of pull Boston does from a marketing perspective, and Seattle's only just come into the league; it'd be a bit early to give them an outdoor game when there's teams that have been around for a while longer and haven't had one, like Florida or Tampa.

It also doesn't help Columbus' case that the only venue they could really use for an outdoor game is Ohio Stadium on top of being a pretty small-market team in the grand picture. There's a reason that outdoor games go to the markets with the most pull (ie: the biggest ones); those tend to have the biggest venues and the most opportunity for making money.

Pretty sure having an outdoor game in the Horseshoe with 100,000 people  would be financially viable.  If the Carolina Hurricanes can get an outdoor game, there's no reason the Blue Jackets can't get one. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I feel like as time has passed, the Winter Classic has been where most of the blue bloods of the NHL have had outdoor games and the Stadium Series is for the rest.  I dont like it, but it is what it is.  I feel like Columbus falls more into the Stadium Series tier.  Dallas was surprising for the WC, especially since they played Nashville.

As for the chances of Florida or Tampa Bay ever hosting outdoors, I'm not sure we will ever see that.  I listened to a podcast where the host spoke to the SVP and Chief Content Officer for the NHL.  It was said Tampa Bay has been considered, but the weather and dates of when ideal conditions occur are very limited and only falls during possible NFL playoff games (late January-early February was mentioned)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

That'd actually be awesome, but i feel that the Bruins will wear their 80's black jersey

There's no reason they couldn't do both, they could easily go with an 80s or even 70s-style jersey but brown instead of black.

18 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

As for the chances of Florida or Tampa Bay ever hosting outdoors, I'm not sure we will ever see that.  I listened to a podcast where the host spoke to the SVP and Chief Content Officer for the NHL.  It was said Tampa Bay has been considered, but the weather and dates of when ideal conditions occur are very limited and only falls during possible NFL playoff games (late January-early February was mentioned)

c'mon Panthers @ Lightning Stadium Series, the one-night only return to the ThunderDome; I don't even care that it wouldn't even be outdoors! :P

2 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

There's no reason they couldn't do both, they could easily go with an 80s or even 70s-style jersey but brown instead of black.

c'mon Panthers @ Lightning Stadium Series, the one-night only return to the ThunderDome; I don't even care that it wouldn't even be outdoors! :P

I agree that the Thunderdome/Tropicana Field needs to have a Stadium Series before the Trop is demolished.  My statement was strictly based on outdoor games in Florida.

32 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

I still don't get why they chose next year to have Boston host the winter classic (again), when 2024 would have been perfect since it would coincide with the Bruins 100th anniversary. Missed opportunity there. 

Fenway Sports Group owns the Pens, and there's nothing stopping them from doing a Boston WC again in 2024. Most likely they chose to host it in Fenway Park for a reason.

Besides, Boston is one of the league's biggest and most profitable markets; why wouldn't they choose to have Boston host the Winter Classic both here and in 2024? Go where the money is, and the money for events like this isn't really in the small-mid tier markets.

The NHL has no need to keep recycling teams and venues. There are plenty of potential matchups I can think of off the top of my head.

- Isles vs. Rangers at MetLife

- Avalanche vs. Wild at Invesco Empower or Coors Field

- Caps vs. Canes at FedEx Field

- Devils vs. Rangers at Rutgers

Hell, if they can give Dallas and Nashville a Winter Classic they can give Tampa and Florida a game too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

The NHL has no need to keep recycling teams and venues. There are plenty of potential matchups I can think of off the top of my head.

- Isles vs. Rangers at MetLife

- Caps vs. Canes at FedEx Field

- Devils vs. Rangers at Rutgers

Hell, if they can give Dallas and Nashville a Winter Classic they can give Tampa and Florida a game too.

They would rather have it at RFK over fedex field. Atleast at RFK there isn’t a risk of human feces being dumped on the fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

Coors Field already had a Stadium Series game in 2016. 

And it's hard to play a hockey game outside when it's 70 degrees in Tampa or South Florida.  Dallas and Nashville have complete different winter climates than Florida. 

12 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

The ideal time for an outdoor game in Florida would be late January, and even then its a crapshoot.  It could be cold one day, and 70 the next.  The issue with that time on the calendar would be needing to hold the NFL stadiums for potential playoff games.  The only option at that time would be Orlando's Citrus Bowl or Daytona International Speedway.  If they really do want to host a Stadium Series in Florida, Tropicana Field would be the best idea since its the former home of the Lightning.

You couldn't host the Winter Classic in Florida outside of the Daytona Speedway because of college bowl games in almost every outdoor stadium on or around January 1st.

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

The ideal time for an outdoor game in Florida would be late January, and even then its a crapshoot.  It could be cold one day, and 70 the next.  The issue with that time on the calendar would be needing to hold the NFL stadiums for potential playoff games.  The only option at that time would be Orlando's Citrus Bowl or Daytona International Speedway.  If they really do want to host a Stadium Series in Florida, Tropicana Field would be the best idea since its the former home of the Lightning.

You couldn't host the Winter Classic in Florida outside of the Daytona Speedway because of college bowl games in almost every outdoor stadium on or around January 1st.

A 200 foot hockey rink would be dwarfed by the massive size of Daytona. The stands at Daytona are like 1/2-3/4 mile long.