2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

7 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Ownership prefers the orange, IIRC. And from what I've seen, most fans are fine with either color scheme being used as long as the original logo is back in the primary position.

Not that I’m a dedicated Ducks fan, but I kind of fall into this group. Eggplant/jade is unique, orange/black feels like a fit for California team. I actually really like how the logo is on the orange alts. 

uniforms need to be fixed either way though. 

For whatever it's worth I have a Ducks fan friend who hates the jade-and-eggplant jerseys; he considers it an ugly color scheme that was only used to cash in on the trends of the time. I don't think I'd go that far myself, but I've definitely come around on preferring them in black-and-orange.

Emphasis on black as the primary though, I think promoting the orange alt to primary would just make them look like the Flyers. But take the original Mighty Ducks logo & uniforms, recolor them with the new scheme and I think they'd have a winner.

EDIT: Also I thought the anniversary jersey just flat-out sucked. They should've learned the first time that black does not mix well with jade & eggplant, but they didn't.

• Like 2

The jade and eggplant is super 90s. And while you can make an argument that it fits...well...they've spent more time in orange and black. 

And they won a Cup in orange and black. 

And orange and black makes it easy to market themselves as Orange County's team, which is valuable if the Kings have LA proper on lockdown. 

I think it's also worth noting that the jade and eggplant was associated with the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, while the Anaheim Ducks have been a black and orange team. The original duck hockey mask logo has been used across both, but the colours do seem to fit neatly into two eras. 

And the Mighty Ducks era is over. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 2:40 PM, VikWings said:

While I'm all for this, this will be the second time they've done this now lol.

You mean to tell me that the Ducks franchise has -- on two occasions -- acknowledged the sentiments of the fanbase and upgraded their jerseys to match? How corny, lol.

Obvious /s

Feels a bit weird to have arrived at this place in my heart, but to me, the Absolute Essence of Duck is both "black with orange and gold", AND the brilliantly silly original mask logo.  I too am glad the current color scheme and the old logo work well together. Seems inevitable that they become that.

Chris Ramirez nailed it in his Icethetics concept on June 22, 2020. Except maybe stick the Webbed D logo on the shoulder.

https://www.icethetics.com/concepts/anaheim-now-and-then

• Like 2

I still prefer eggplant and jade, and - being a faraway fan - kind of regret that I never got to go to a game in that era... or either time they brought those colours back. Depending on what they do for the 30th, maybe I'll take the plunge and actually make a trip there.

Also neither of their primary black and orange looks have been particularly good. The above concept is a step in the right direction, but almost anything would be an improvement.

Anyway, if we're "expecting more orange" maybe the third gets swapped with the home, with an eventual matching white jersey down the line. Or they're getting an orange Reverse Retro. Or a jersey ad which happens to be orange.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

On 4/30/2022 at 10:15 AM, mcj882000 said:

They should've learned the first time that black does not mix well with jade & eggplant, but they didn't.

Except that jersey didn't include any jade. Jade trim would've greatly improved the look.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

10 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Except that jersey didn't include any jade. Jade trim would've greatly improved the look.

What?! There was a lot of jade on that jersey.

0721-ana18a-jersey.png?format=1000w

But for me Ducks should stay with orange scheme. Just bring back Disney logo and make a new uniforms.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

4r2eer.png

3 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

What?! There was a lot of jade on that jersey.

0721-ana18a-jersey.png?format=1000w

But for me Ducks should stay with orange scheme. Just bring back Disney logo and make a new uniforms.

They were talking about the eggplant and black script Anaheim jersey…check out the photo in the “first time” link. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

They were talking about the eggplant and black script Anaheim jersey…check out the photo in the “first time” link. 

My bad I missed a link.

Btw eggplant on 25th jersey was barely viisble on ice.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

For me, I understand that the Ducks have established a lot of recent equity with orange/black/gold, and understand they won a cup in it too, but it’s eggplant and jade all the way in my book. And furthermore, it’s duck mask or nothing at all. 

A large reason for that, admittedly is nostalgia - the Mighty Ducks were my favorite team as a kid, being of the generation they successfully targeted with Disney  - but another big reason for it is that I just don’t think they’ve ever looked good in orange/black/gold. The very first rebrand set especially was an atrocity. The weird fat numbers and extreme-y logos/fonts always made them look like skating energy drinks (in the worst way), and it just never looked any good for them. Bringing the duck mask back again was awesome, and I’ll gladly take it in any color scheme, but if I had my choice, orange/black/gold would be gone yesterday.

Honestly, I get that the original Mighty Ducks stuff was cartoony and overtly 90’s. Totally get it. But it was also kind of the whole point; it’s exactly those parts of the identity (and the connection to the movies and cartoon) that got me hooked on them as a kid. Nobody looked cooler than them to me back then! I was part of that target audience and I was one of the ones that was sold quick. The Mighty Ducks get dunked on here sometimes over thier Disney-fied identity, but it worked on me. It still works on me after all these years, and I think that ought to count for something.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

48 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Honestly, I get that the original Mighty Ducks stuff was cartoony and overtly 90’s. Totally get it. But it was also kind of the whole point; it’s exactly those parts of the identity (and the connection to the movies and cartoon) that got me hooked on them as a kid.

Same. And I see nothing wrong with that. The Flyers look like a team straight from the 70s and I don't see anyone complaining. Most people want the Oilers to go back to their 80s uniforms. The Coyotes just went back to their 90s jerseys and it's been almost unanimously welcomed by everyone. There's plenty of other examples but the point is, there is nothing wrong with the very 90s looking jade and eggplant Mighty Ducks uniforms. Sure it looks a bit dated but in a good way, like you said, that's the point

• Love 2

I posted this image last time this whole Ducks identity debate came up, but may as well do it again with a white version this time;

spacer.png

spacer.png

At this point, the orange is too tied into the branding of the team to completely remove it, so just swap out the silver stripe on the Mighty Ducks jersey for orange.  Plus the orange adds a pop of brightness to the jersey, ties into the Orange County thing that the owners have a predilection for and perfectly mixes both eras into one solid identity; it's not a bad element to have over the silver since that color was so minimal in the brand anyways.

Black and orange is too Flyers, gold is Vegas' schtick now, so why not just replace black and gold with eggplant and jade while keeping the orange as a tertiary color? Nobody in the NHL (or sports, really) owns that combo.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Hurl 1

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

I posted this image last time this whole Ducks identity debate came up, but may as well do it again with a white version this time;

spacer.png

spacer.png

At this point, the orange is too tied into the branding of the team to completely remover it.  The orange adds a pop of brightness to the jersey, ties into the Orange County thing that the owners have a predilection for and perfectly mixes both eras into one solid identity.

Black and orange is too Flyers, gold is Vegas' schtick now, so why not just replace black and gold with eggplant and jade while keeping the orange as a tertiary color? Nobody in the NHL (or sports, really) owns that combo.

Nobody owns that combo because it looks awful lol

Just make the sticks orange instead of yellow, like on the 25th anniversary jersey if you want orange so bad, but leave that poor jersey alone!

• Like 1

A few things regarding the conversations in here: 

1. PIT-BOS for a WC is lame, but maybe we finally get a new Navy Pens jersey? 

2. Washington embracing the Screagle is fine in my books, even though I'll agree it's not the best logo. As for people clammoring for the Weagle as a font jersey logo, it was initially going to be according to this prototype, which I honestly like better than the current Weagle. 

3. Vegas going gold full-time is dumb. I like the current look. It's a modern-day classic. Change for the sake of change this early into a indentity is dumb. 

4. I actually like the Jade, Eggplant & Orange concept @Ridleylash posted. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The very first rebrand set especially was an atrocity. The weird fat numbers and extreme-y logos/fonts always made them look like skating energy drinks (in the worst way), and it just never looked any good for them.

I always thought that was sort of the idea of that rebrand (that and Brian Burke's Army dress-up), to really cultivate a certain suburban-douchebag aesthetic that goes with energy drinks, skateboarding, things of that nature. The Ducks script with the elongated oval behind it especially felt mid-aughts extreme-sportsy to me.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hot take: The Ducks’ Cup-winning sweaters but with the webbed D instead of the lame wordmark would’ve been excellent. The curve of the jersey stripes matched the curve of the D and they would’ve played very well off each other. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

At this point, the orange is too tied into the branding of the team to completely remove it, so just swap out the silver stripe on the Mighty Ducks jersey for orange.  Plus the orange adds a pop of brightness to the jersey, ties into the Orange County thing that the owners have a predilection for and perfectly mixes both eras into one solid identity; it's not a bad element to have over the silver since that color was so minimal in the brand anyways.

I love this idea. The bolded  part really sold me on it.

I even like the idea of using black instead of eggplant.

Edited by DustDevil61
Black instead of eggplant

50 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Hot take: The Ducks’ Cup-winning sweaters but with the webbed D instead of the lame wordmark would’ve been excellent. The curve of the jersey stripes matched the curve of the D and they would’ve played very well off each other. 

Agreed. It was a nice modern change to the old formula and would have looked great. The ducks have looked worse and worse the more they've leaned into the orange.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1