2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

4 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Because the Bulls never changed their uniforms. 

They have, although not in a meaningful way since MJ's rookie year.
tumblr_prjpzv4KWS1wulfg9o2_r1_1280.png
tumblr_pruv14JFni1wulfg9o1_1280.png
(I actually think they should switch back to the latter, but that's not for this particular thread.)

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Not really. Our jerseys haven't changed drastically in decades and they never will either. They only modernized it a few times with subtle tweaks so that it doesn't look too dated. Same goes with every other O6 team. Not comparable to the Oilers at all, who've only known success for a few years in a specific decade and have changed their colours 3 times now only to go back to their "classic" and very dated uniform associated with a very specific superstar after a few years.

None of these things apply to the Canadiens

Edit: also, we definitely don't have a McJesus that we can build a new identity around lol

You will come Thursday, so why stay living in the past, right? ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

They have, although not in a meaningful way since MJ's rookie year.
tumblr_prjpzv4KWS1wulfg9o2_r1_1280.png
tumblr_pruv14JFni1wulfg9o1_1280.png
(I actually think they should switch back to the latter, but that's not for this particular thread.)

You're right, I guess I should have specified that they have not changed their jerseys since Jordan last played on the team*

4 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

You will come Thursday, so why stay living in the past, right? ;)

Oof, probably not. #tankforBedard lol

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

There's no contradiction, the Habs have never changed anything drastically but they've tweaked it several times along the way

The Oilers keep changing their colours instead of just sticking with something and fixing it gradually when it starts looking dated

If the Habs went back to a perfect replica of their glory days 1970s jerseys I'd be complaining for the same reasons

The Sabres comparison doesn't work at all because they brought back a new and improved version of the jerseys they wore in the 70s and 80s, there's a few key differences (mostly the much more vibrant shade of blue, texture on the logo and white stripes on the blue jersey etc)

So basically you're proving my point here. This is exactly what the Oilers should have done instead of trying to cosplay as Gretzky's team. Anyway, I'm done arguing about the Oilers, their jerseys suck and no one here is gonna change my mind lol

The Oilers are not going back to a perfect replica of the 1980's jerseys, because with the current adidas template, that isn't possible.

It's going to have a different yoke shape, a different collar, different hem striping due to the cut of the jersey and other details.

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

So apparently this confirms that the Golden Knights are going with gold full time and dropping the grey jersey. Yet another disappointing jersey announcement this week lol

spacer.png

Although I'm not sure how reliable this is. It doesn't say anything about a possible RR jersey 👀

This we agree on. The Vegas greys are absolutely  beautiful.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ujju2 said:

This we agree on. The Vegas greys are absolutely  beautiful.

Seconded. And not just because they are nice to look at, there really isn't another team in pro sports that wears gray, or at least the shade that Vegas does. The gold uniforms really lack the full aesthetic to be primaries. If they had more black, maybe, but I think they are too flashy to be worn as a full-time home.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

15 hours ago, McCall said:

When did they use "salmon"?

In 1996 when they updated their jerseys and switched to navy.  I don't know if it's officially called salmon, but they added a red outline around the logo.  It was also used on the numbers and outlined the copper stripe.

Devils's 40th logo.

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M4One said:

In 1996 when they updated their jerseys and switched to navy.  I don't know if it's officially called salmon, but they added a red outline around the logo.  It was also used on the numbers and outlined the copper stripe.

According to TruColor, that was pantone 186, which is the shade of red most commonly used in the NHL (save for the darker reds like Minnesota, Arizona, etc.).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Anyway, I'm done arguing about the Oilers, their jerseys suck and no one here is gonna change my mind lol

I’m curious about why exactly you don’t like the Oilers Gretzky uniforms… I know you have said they are dated, but I’m curious about why else you don’t like them? 

I don’t care either way, I just wanted to discuss it haha

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

The Sabres comparison doesn't work at all because they brought back a new and improved version of the jerseys they wore in the 70s and 80s, there's a few key differences (mostly the much more vibrant shade of blue, texture on the logo and white stripes on the blue jersey etc)

So basically you're proving my point here. This is exactly what the Oilers should have done instead of trying to cosplay as Gretzky's team. 

So you say the Oilers jerseys are dated, but if they did something as simple as adding a couple thin white stripes to their home jersey they would suddenly be fine? 

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Also, the Oilers did add texture to the logo that wasn't around in the '80s/'90s.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Edit: also, we definitely don't have a McJesus that we can build a new identity around lol

And if you did the vast majority of Habs fans would want him playing in the same uniform as the past Habs greats.

And they'd be right.

25 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Well, it's official now, and along with a matching white at least

I'm so glad we could go on this journey through the orange and navy roundabout together. Thank you Oilers.

17 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Not comparable to the Oilers at all, who've only known success for a few years in a specific decade and have changed their colours 3 times now only to go back to their "classic" and very dated uniform associated with a very specific superstar after a few years.

Every diversion from the Gretzky look goes back to the Gretzky look though. The navy/copper/salmon era led to back to the Gretzky look, and the orange and navy identity didn't really last long enough to be an "era" of its own. Right back to the Gretzky look.

You keep disparaging that identity as only being associated with success in one decade (two if we're going to be very technical), but that team was the stuff of NHL legends. The Oilers were as relevant as they'll ever be during those years and that look is what they wore during it.

Like it or not but...maybe that's just what the Oilers are? The team seems to think so since they keep returning to it.

5 hours ago, McCall said:

According to TruColor, that was pantone 186, which is the shade of red most commonly used in the NHL (save for the darker reds like Minnesota, Arizona, etc.).

I had that jersey as a kid. The numbers and logo definitely used red, but it was a lighter salmony colour on the stripes.

• Like 4

I, uh, liked the 2021-22 white jersey better. And if the dark jersey had been navy, that would’ve been their best-ever set. 

The orange cuffs on the classic blue jersey has always annoyed me. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Well, it's official now, and along with a matching white at least

I was hoping. they'd throw us all a curveball and go with orange shoulder yokes on the road (like the reverse retro) but regardless, really happy they look like the Oilers again.

56 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I had that jersey as a kid. The numbers and logo definitely used red, but it was a lighter salmony colour on the stripes.

As a (fellow?) Oilers fan, I can say confidently that it was all the same red. The issue was that in the stripes, the red and copper touched, and that made the red look weird. It was never salmon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I’m curious about why exactly you don’t like the Oilers Gretzky uniforms… I know you have said they are dated, but I’m curious about why else you don’t like them? 

I don’t care either way, I just wanted to discuss it haha

I mostly dislike the colours and logo.  Too WHA for me. I could list everything I think looks bad but nobody cares so I'm not gonna waste my time lol

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

So you say the Oilers jerseys are dated, but if they did something as simple as adding a couple thin white stripes to their home jersey they would suddenly be fine? 

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Also, the Oilers did add texture to the logo that wasn't around in the '80s/'90s.

Yes, that's word-for-word exactly what I said. Come on, don't be arguing in bad faith. You're better than that spartacat

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

And if you did the vast majority of Habs fans would want him playing in the same uniform as the past Habs greats.

And they'd be right.

Nope. There are many, many differences with the current Habs uniform and the one from the 70s. That's what I've been saying all along. The Oilers should have brought back a MODERNIZED version of the Gretzky era jerseys without the dated quirks. If we traded for McDavid and brought back stitch for stitch our dated 70s jerseys, I'd be pissed

What I have in mind for the Oilers is something like the Bruins did when they switched over to Reebok. A modern day classic inspired by the past

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

I also like the idea of them in navy and orange, or them being Canada's orange team.

THIS. Between the Leafs and Canucks (and Jets to a lesser extent) we already have enough teams wearing blue home jerseys

And correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Oilers wear the exact same shade of dark royal blue as the Leafs, Canucks and Lightning? Or is it now the same shade of  blue as the Islanders (yikes) and Blues?

• Dislike 1