2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

On 2022-07-06 at 5:52 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

So apparently this confirms that the Golden Knights are going with gold full time and dropping the grey jersey. Yet another disappointing jersey announcement this week lol

spacer.png

Although I'm not sure how reliable this is. It doesn't say anything about a possible RR jersey 👀

Cbs No GIF by HULU 

• Like 1

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

12 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

The Oilers should have brought back a MODERNIZED version of the Gretzky era jerseys without the dated quirks. If we traded for McDavid and brought back stitch for stitch our dated 70s jerseys, I'd be pissed

What I have in mind for the Oilers is something like the Bruins did when they switched over to Reebok. A modern day classic inspired by the past

I think that the Canadiens' current white jerseys are more dated than their '70s counterparts. That ghosted number outline is awful and has been dated since about 2005.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

19 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Nope. There are many, many differences with the current Habs uniform and the one from the 70s. That's what I've been saying all along. The Oilers should have brought back a MODERNIZED version of the Gretzky era jerseys without the dated quirks. If we traded for McDavid and brought back stitch for stitch our dated 70s jerseys, I'd be pissed

What I have in mind for the Oilers is something like the Bruins did when they switched over to Reebok. A modern day classic inspired by the past

The Oilers actually did almost the same thing as Boston did when they brought back the royal blue and orange as an alternate after eleven seasons using navy, copper and red.
spacer.png

spacer.png

Bruins 1967/68 to 1973/74 and 2007/08 to 2016/17 Jerseys.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the Oilers 1981/82 to 1994/95 and 2008/09 alternate/2010/11 to 2016/17 main jersey.

As we can see, the Bruins and the Oilers did most of the same thing - Change up the hem and sleeve stripes, the yoke shape, the number font and outlines (Edmonton also subtly changed their name font) and the collar.

The biggest differences were the logos and striping. Edmonton changed the previous logo they used by changing the red outline stripe to white and changing the colour of the oil drop to orange and the lettering to royal blue, while the Bruins introduced a new shoulder logo, put a black outline around the B for the main logo and made the white outline thicker. This means the Edmonton logos for the two jerseys shown are far closer than the main one for Boston.

With the hem and sleeve striping, Boston changed up the striping size, added slightly more distance between the stripes, made the width of the gold and white stripes equal, and there was now a black section beneath the hem stripes. The Oilers changed only the size of the stripes.
spacer.png
Edmonton WON'T be bringing back their 1981 to 95 jerseys back  "stitch for stitch" as you imply. They will be just changing the colours back to Royal Blue and Orange, using the same template as the 2017 to 2022 home jersey did. And if Edmonton had kept the royal blue and orange they used 2010 to 2017 and just updated to the adidas template, they would have done the same as Boston did.

spacer.png

And correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Oilers wear the exact same shade of dark royal blue as the Leafs, Canucks and Lightning? Or is it now the same shade of  blue as the Islanders (yikes) and Blues?

According to Trucolor (which I take with a pinch of salt), they used the same shade of blue on their blue and orange jersey from 2008 to 2017 as Toronto, Vancouver and Tampa do, but the orange (and green) made a huge difference.

More importantly, the Isles and Oilers have used different shades of blue and orange and while we don't know the exact shade yet, it seems likely that the two teams will use different shades. That, along with the two teams having very different striping and yoke patterns, makes the two teams pretty distinct.

And I have no idea where this "few years not wearing royal blue and orange" comes from. It's absolute bulls**t - Edmonton went over a decade without those colours in their uniform rotation and have spent the past five seasons wearing orange and navy.

I think if the Oilers took a different approach with the "McDavid Era" of navy it would have worked out differently.  Believe someone else posted this recently as well. Not even going with what the Condors used, since it's really just changing the blue to navy, but there were a few ways they could have done it that would have been a smoother transition, close enough to the old but still new. 

Something like this would have been an ideal route for this approach:

spacer.png

You could have white or orange numbers for the homes, slightly updated gloves with just the orange cuff or solid navy, but overall I feel it's a good blend/update of their past looks. Although maybe i'd go back to the curved pants stripes as well, since those were unique to them. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

I'm happy they're going back to these because I never got what they were trying to do with the "Chicago Bears on ice" look they've been wearing the last five years, but they're not perfect. My only gripes with the Oilers' 80's uniforms is the over-indulgence in orange. 

edmonton-alta-october-21-2015-edmonton-o

I think flipping the numbers from orange to white and losing the orange cuffs on the sleeves would strike a much better balance. I know it's not exactly the look that Gretzky wore, but I think it'd be close enough and look better. 

And if we're going to use navy blue as the alternate, I'd much rather use this because everything about it excluded, it really was a cool looking hockey uniform. 

hockey-nhl-finals-edmonton-oilers-sergei

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

23 minutes ago, Sport said:

I'm happy they're going back to these because I never got what they were trying to do with the "Chicago Bears on ice" look they've been wearing the last five years, but they're not perfect. My only gripes with the Oilers' 80's uniforms is the over-indulgence in orange. 

edmonton-alta-october-21-2015-edmonton-o

I think flipping the numbers from orange to white and losing the orange cuffs on the sleeves would strike a much better balance. I know it's not exactly the look that Gretzky wore, but I think it'd be close enough and look better. 

And if we're going to use navy blue as the alternate, I'd much rather use this because everything about it excluded, it really was a cool looking hockey uniform. 

hockey-nhl-finals-edmonton-oilers-sergei

Sergei Samsonov. Now that is a name I have not heard in a long time.

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

11 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I think that the Canadiens' current white jerseys are more dated than their '70s counterparts. That ghosted number outline is awful and has been dated since about 2005.

Objectively wrong opinion. Like wanting your steak well done with ketchup on it and a glass of lukewarm milk on the side lol

Red and blue don't touch anywhere on the jersey, so why should they touch and bleed onto each other on the numbers? The double outline is absolutely needed here. Not debatable, sorry!

• LOL 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1

22 hours ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Re: Golden Knights - makes me kind of sad. Their grey jerseys were one of my all-time favourites of the modern era. The gold ones are nice but.. they work better as a third jersey. Having the greys at home, and gold alternates was so perfect, why change it...

Apparently Bill Foley thought that the grey jerseys being worn by fans in the stands blended into the seats too much, and he wanted something that popped more.

I'm sure at some point the greys will be brought back. Especially in 10-15 years once the nostalgia for the inaugural Cup run ramps up.

1 hour ago, ebod39 said:

Vegas grey jerseys will be the 3rd.  They just flipped designation.

Where did you hear that? Every report I've seen has said that the grey is being dropped altogether, and a new black third jersey is going to be introduced, along with a new RR.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crabcake said:

This. This is how the Oilers should look. You can make the argument for navy and orange looking better objectively (Tbf I do think their away jersey was beautiful) or navy and copper fitting the name better. It doesn’t matter. None of it matters. These jerseys are the Oilers. When I think of the Oilers, I think of these jerseys. If you want to throw in an orange alt or a navy alt or do whatever with the third jersey, be my frickin’ guest. But for the love of all that is good on this earth please just keep these as the primaries from now on. 

Yes. Why I started the “forever done” thread. The Oilers have been encrusted with an inevitability. 

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why is that? He's got connections that most of us would love to have.

I own a 2010-13 Oilers replica home jersey and I was wearing it when I wrote that. The blue on the shirt looked  lighter than the value that is on that site. It's also a different shade to the blue on the crest. The colour matching on that shirt isn't the best - as well as the different shades of blue, the orange for the cuffs + yoke, crest + and reebok logo, collar and the centre and hem stripe are all different shades.

It would be surprising to me if Tampa Bay, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver (well, not the first two) all used the same shade of blue during the aformentioned time period, but that might just be me. If someone could post a pic of all four of those jerseys in the same picture to show the colour similarity, that would be great.

I do use the site a lot to choose colours, just that moment threw doubt into my mind.

8 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Not debatable, sorry!

I don't care enough to get involved with the Canadiens uniform debate (because I think they've got great uniforms and the small details aren't sig ificant enough to me) but dude. You've got to know you can't come on here and say this (quoted) line. It's very much debatable...and kind the point of what we do here. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 5

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

56 minutes ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

I own a 2010-13 Oilers replica home jersey and I was wearing it when I wrote that. The blue on the shirt looked  lighter than the value that is on that site. It's also a different shade to the blue on the crest. The colour matching on that shirt isn't the best - as well as the different shades of blue, the orange for the cuffs + yoke, crest + and reebok logo, collar and the centre and hem stripe are all different shades.

It would be surprising to me if Tampa Bay, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver (well, not the first two) all used the same shade of blue during the aformentioned time period, but that might just be me. If someone could post a pic of all four of those jerseys in the same picture to show the colour similarity, that would be great.

I do use the site a lot to choose colours, just that moment threw doubt into my mind.

But unless your monitor is properly corrected to show colors as they actually are, and unless all of those jerseys are present at the same time in the same lighting, you don't know anything in terms of whether or not they are the same color.

Thanks for the response - I was genuinely curious.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Doesn't Trucolor only show the official colors in respect to Pantone and graphic reproductions? The actual fabric colors will be slightly off from those shades in almost every situation.

• Like 1

jNTsTyQ.png

31 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

Doesn't Trucolor only show the official colors in respect to Pantone and graphic reproductions? The actual fabric colors will be slightly off from those shades in almost every situation.

Yes, manufactures just use the closest color from there available stocks of fabric. That’s why despite the NHL having 6-8 different pantones used for blues, really only 4 are used for uniforms. 

• Like 5