2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

On 7/14/2022 at 3:09 PM, habsfan1 said:

I'm reading the comments on the team's social media posts. A lot of fans love the dynasty look. But there's more than a few who also like the orange and the updated darker colors.

It's not close to unanimous. When the nostalgia phase runs out, maybe that's why they keep changing to something new. People want to buy new stuff. I guess no more sea of orange, assuming they make the playoffs next year.

Bottom line is some teams love to keep their identities or looks that goes to the team's successful period. The Habs, Leafs, Blackhawks, Bruins(a few tweeks), Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Flyers, Senators, Flames, Penguins, Oilers, Coyotes, Red Wings are all teams that went back and for the most part will stay with their identity.  That's a lot of teams that have gone back or never waivered from their original look. As far as buying new stuff, I'd rather teams keep their identities than the cash grab that Nike or Adidas does.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 2:07 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

No weirder than teams still pushing for "whiteouts" in this colour-at-home era. Like why the hell would I want to feel like I'm encouraging the other team? lol

That’s why I’ve advocated for changing the rules to allow teams to designate any uniform they want as the home set for the duration of the playoffs. Knowing ahead of time shouldn’t cause any logistics issues, and teams like the Jets & Coyotes can match the fans. 

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 1:07 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

No weirder than teams still pushing for "whiteouts" in this colour-at-home era. Like why the hell would I want to feel like I'm encouraging the other team? lol

Because it's a time-honored tradition for certain teams' fanbases that links their history together? That's like asking why Florida fans throw rats on the ice for winning playoff games.

People don't look at a Jets home playoff crowd and quip "look at all those road team fans!" for a reason lol

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

That’s why I’ve advocated for changing the rules to allow teams to designate any uniform they want as the home set for the duration of the playoffs. Knowing ahead of time shouldn’t cause any logistics issues, and teams like the Jets & Coyotes can match the fans. 

Hmm, not sure this is a good idea. This could result in a scenario where you would have the Oilers or Canes wearing their stealth jerseys for seven games in a row lol. I really don't want the NHL to become the NFL or worse, the NBA when it comes to relaxed uniform rules. Teams have to be protected from their own stupidity

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

People don't look at a Jets home playoff crowd and quip "look at all those road team fans!" for a reason lol

I do. I think it's dumb to encourage fans to wear white when the home team is wearing navy blue, especially since it's not even the same franchise that originated the whiteout. Not every single tradition is good or makes sense. The plastic rats are cool but they had to tell people to stop throwing real octopuses on the ice in Detroit. And don't get me started about the catfish thing in Nashville!

24 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I do. I think it's dumb to encourage fans to wear white when the home team is wearing navy blue, especially since it's not even the same franchise that originated the whiteout. Not every single tradition is good or makes sense. The plastic rats are cool but they had to tell people to stop throwing real octopuses on the ice in Detroit. And don't get me started about the catfish thing in Nashville!

I don't generally have a lot of faith in the intelligence of the human race these days, but I would at least trust the fans — and the players — to understand that the home fans aren't rooting for the visitors just because they're all in white. Literally nobody is confused by this. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

21 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't generally have a lot of faith in the intelligence of the human race these days, but I would at least trust the fans — and the players — to understand that the home fans aren't rooting for the visitors just because they're all in white. Literally nobody is confused by this. 

Literally not what I'm saying at all

I know no one is confused. I just think it makes no sense to wear white to encourage the navy team while the visiting team is white. It made plenty of sense back when teams wore white at home but the effect is just not the same anymore. What I'm saying is really not that hard to figure out, you don't need to misquote me

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joekono said:

Bottom line is some teams love to keep their identities or looks that goes to the team's successful period.

The Habs, Leafs, Blackhawks, Bruins(a few tweeks), Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Flyers, Senators, Flames, Penguins, Oilers, Coyotes, Red Wings are all teams that went back and for the most part will stay with their identity.

The 2 teams in bold have never had much major success under their original uniforms. The Sens only Cup appearence I believe was in the red jersey with the 1st 3D Centurion and the large wavy black stripe on the front. I don't remember the Yotes doing anything significant, no matter the uniform.

The Lightning have won Cups in both black and blue. I'm not sure which one's the classic because 2 of their 3 primary logos are associated with championship victory.

When the Oilers brought back royal blue the 1st time, it didn't last. Seems like another cash grab. Not a permanent return to their roots. Who knows how long the 2nd phase will last. If fans cared more for the royals, the outrage would have been much stronger than 50/50. If the Rangers made the navy Lady Liberties the primary home, it wouldn't go over well like it did for the Oilers for a while. I thought the Orange jersey with navy yokes were perfect for the McDavid era.

31 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

If fans cared more for the royals, the outrage would have been much stronger than 50/50.

I mean, from what I gathered from social media, most people hated the orange jerseys and wanted them to go back to blue, and the only real split was between navy and royal. That's kinda why they wore their alternates in the playoffs and mothballed the orange jerseys.

The push of orange full-time wasn't an organic thing, it was OEG wanting their own version of the C of Red and Winnipeg Whiteout and trying to force it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, from what I gathered from social media, most people hated the orange jerseys and wanted them to go back to blue, and the only real split was between navy and royal. That's kinda why they wore their alternates in the playoffs and mothballed the orange jerseys.

The push of orange full-time wasn't an organic thing, it was OEG wanting their own version of the C of Red and Winnipeg Whiteout and trying to force it.

It's true that there's a split between navy and royal. The love for royal isn't as strong as it was for Buffalo, when they finally got it spot on.

It's still weird that Edmonton had both dynasty home and roads and instead of sticking with various alternates, they ditched the royal blue completely in favor of whatever OEG wanted. If the response is still mixed, feels like it's aesthetics vs nostalgia.

It played tricks of me, seeing such an unpopular jersey all over the place during the playoffs.

5 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

It's true that there's a split between navy and royal. The love for royal isn't as strong as it was for Buffalo, when they finally got it spot on.

It's still weird that Edmonton had both dynasty home and roads and instead of sticking with various alternates, they ditched the royal blue completely in favor of whatever OEG wanted. If the response is still mixed, feels like it's aesthetics vs nostalgia.

It played tricks of me, seeing such an unpopular jersey all over the place during the playoffs.

Edmonton also didn’t have 30 years without royal blue to make people nostalgic for it. Edmonton fans just had dynasty uniforms 5 years ago. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s their best look and still what the majority of fans wanted.

• Like 1

The thing that bothered me most about the Oilers orange primary home was the sleeve and hem stripes. They are white blue white and I always thought it should have been blue white blue. The white being more dominate and paired with that shade of orange just threw the entire balance of the jersey off.  It's seems blue top heavy. 

If they wanted to keep the orange jersey and the white-blue-white order on striping, I much prefer the sleeve and hem striping the second picture which was their alt before the orange primary. Take away the shoulder numbers and funky neck line and that is a far better jersey IMO.

I don't even care about the navy vs royal vs orange debate. To me, the current orange primary just isn't as good as many of their previous sweaters for various reasons. 

A Definitive Ranking of EVERY Edmonton Oilers Jersey - The Copper & Blue

Oilers permanently switching to orange home jerseys: 'We're in a new era' |  theScore.com

• Like 3

On 7/18/2022 at 12:21 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

I do. I think it's dumb to encourage fans to wear white when the home team is wearing navy blue, especially since it's not even the same franchise that originated the whiteout. Not every single tradition is good or makes sense.

Winnipeg's is and does

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Long term, I wonder what Columbus will do with their uniforms. I’ve seen quotes or paraphrasing that Davidson doesn’t want them to look like the Rangers, ergo the blue pants. I wonder if they’ll go blue with the home uniforms as well, or re-design entirely in the next few years. 

the Tri-City Americans basically have CBJ unis with blue pants home and road. 

spacer.png

It does seem like the eventual plan is for the Blue Jackets to have navy pants for both the home and road. If they're doing an experiment by having a few test games, I think it will look nice because their minor league affiliate looks good like that. So will the CBJ.