2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

18 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

It does seem like the eventual plan is for the Blue Jackets to have navy pants for both the home and road. If they're doing an experiment by having a few test games, I think it will look nice because their minor league affiliate looks good like that. So will the CBJ.

I’d love to see it tried. I gave it a shot a while ago in EA NHL and at first was kinda meh, but looking at it again today it’s looking better. 

spacer.png

I like the blue pants on the road, but I would hate to see them go that route for the home set. I feel like it's still a unique look for them, and it does a good job of breaking up the blue. Personally, I think the Tri-City look is a downgrade...too much navy, and nothing is accentuated. 

It’s probably worth mentioning that the origin of spectator “color-outs” was likely Calgary’s “C of Red” in 1986… when NHL teams wore white at home.

And the most well-known/marketed color-out across college sports (where it’s really become a phenomenon) is the Beaver Stadium white-out, in which the Nittany Lions wear dark blue jerseys.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

40 minutes ago, Thunderbird35 said:

I like the blue pants on the road, but I would hate to see them go that route for the home set. I feel like it's still a unique look for them, and it does a good job of breaking up the blue. Personally, I think the Tri-City look is a downgrade...too much navy, and nothing is accentuated. 

Maybe they want to seperate themselves from the Rangers comparissons.

I wonder if this opens the door to teams having home and road breezers.

Some teams that could conceivably add road pants, based on their color schemes: 

Panthers (red)

Capitals (red)

Avalanche (burgundy)

Stars (green)

Predators (yellow)

Sharks (teal)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, B-mer said:

I’d love to see it tried. I gave it a shot a while ago in EA NHL and at first was kinda meh, but looking at it again today it’s looking better. 

spacer.png

I think that looks sharp and would look even better with the red cuffs on the pants. 

Found a better picture of the one game (I think it was only one) when they wore the blue pants with the white jersey at the end of 2021. 

1316054215.0.jpg

I love how that looks. 

If I had to put money on what they'll be wearing in ten years, though, my guess would be this will be the full-time home look and they'll have a matching white version for the road. 

1074479402.jpg

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 7/18/2022 at 1:21 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Hmm, not sure this is a good idea. This could result in a scenario where you would have the Oilers or Canes wearing their stealth jerseys for seven games in a row lol. I really don't want the NHL to become the NFL or worse, the NBA when it comes to relaxed uniform rules. Teams have to be protected from their own stupidity

They wouldn't really be relaxed rules. Teams would still only be able to wear 2 uniforms throughout the playoffs (unlike the NBA or MLB). Teams can already designate a third jersey as the home uniform for the playoffs, so you being upset about the stealth looks showing up in the playoffs is a different argument altogether.

If the Jets & Coyotes were to face off in a series it would just look like a pre-2003 matchup with both teams wearing white at home.

11 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Panthers (red)

Capitals (red)

Avalanche (burgundy)

Stars (green)

Predators (yellow)

Sharks (teal)

The Panthers' & Avs' blue pants work on the road because they match the numbers. 

14 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Panthers (red)

Capitals (red)

Avalanche (burgundy)

Stars (green)

Predators (yellow)

Sharks (teal)

I had to google yellow hockey pants and honestly, with the white jersey, I think it could look alright. As a once in a while thing, of course

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't think any team has ever worn teal pants but why not? If bright royal blue and kelly green have been worn before, I'm sure teal wouldn't look that weird. While we're at it, their gloves could use some more teal on the fingers or cuff roll

spacer.png

With all the trends that have come and gone, I think it's about time the more imaginative glove colour patterns make a comeback along with pant stripes. Vegas is the only team with different home and away gloves, I'm not saying every team should do it, but gloves are a very important design element that's often undervalued

The difference a little splash of colour can make is huge. Best example is when Hossa was on the Penguins. They had solid black gloves that year but his gloves had a vegas gold pinky stripe and the following year the whole team now had vegas gold accents on their gloves

spacer.png

Another example. Owen Nolan's gloves look way better than the generic black gloves worn by Turcotte

spacer.png

Sorry for all the pictures lol

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 9:34 AM, Sport said:

If I had to put money on what they'll be wearing in ten years, though, my guess would be this will be the full-time home look and they'll have a matching white version for the road. 

1074479402.jpg

Good gravy, that is still - after all these years - one of my favourite NHL jerseys.

Wish they'd go to that cannon logo full-time too.

• Like 3
  • Hurl 1

3 hours ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Good gravy, that is still - after all these years - one of my favourite NHL jerseys.

Wish they'd go to that cannon logo full-time too.

I'll never understand why people love that jersey. The very definition of a soulless and generic jersey. An expansion team from the early 2000s playing O6 dress-up because double blue jerseys, roundel logos and vintage white were trendy in the early 2010s

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Especially now that we have yet another navy blue + light blue team in Seattle. They don't wanna look like the Rangers (which they absolutely don't, not even remotely close) but they wouldn't mind sharing their colours with the Jets and Kraken?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

22 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I'll never understand why people love that jersey. The very definition of a soulless and generic jersey.

I'll explain why I love that jersey, but I don't agree that it's soulless or generic. 

An expansion team from the early 2000s playing O6 dress-up because double blue jerseys, roundel logos and vintage white were trendy in the early 2010s

That was a valid criticism when they were released in 2010 and a reason I didn't love them at first, but the longer they wear them and as all of those teams stopped wearing double blue roundel logos, the more it became their look, and they feel right for the franchise.  At this point they've outlasted every single one of the pictured uniforms, brought back twice after two seasons when nobody used alternates, and have become their own little corner of the Blue Jackets brand that I wouldn't mind if they just wrapped the entire brand around. 

Also there's a legitimate justification for that franchise with that namesake using those colors that neither the Panthers or Penguins can claim.

626f40ba3198fe5ffd48c0857b335cca--gettys

Plus I just think the uniform looks good as a piece of jersey design. It may have been a contribution to a trend at the time of it's release, but it's lasted longer than the trend so now it's just a solid look. 

Especially now that we have yet another navy blue + light blue team in Seattle. They don't wanna look like the Rangers (which they absolutely don't, not even remotely close) but they wouldn't mind sharing their colours with the Jets and Kraken?

They don't look anything like the Kraken or the Jets so that's not a concern. Theirs also predate both so even if that was a concern then take it up with the Kraken and Jets. 

• Like 12

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

I'll explain why I love that jersey, but I don't agree that it's soulless or generic. 

That was a valid criticism when they were released in 2010 and a reason I didn't love them at first, but the longer they wear them and as all of those teams stopped wearing double blue roundel logos, the more it became their look, and they feel right for the franchise.  At this point they've outlasted every single one of the pictured uniforms, brought back twice after two seasons when nobody used alternates, and have become their own little corner of the Blue Jackets brand that I wouldn't mind if they just wrapped the entire brand around. 

Also there's a legitimate justification for that franchise with that namesake using those colors that neither the Panthers or Penguins can claim.

626f40ba3198fe5ffd48c0857b335cca--gettys

Plus I just think the uniform looks good as a piece of jersey design. It may have been a contribution to a trend at the time of it's release, but it's lasted longer than the trend so now it's just a solid look. 

They don't look anything like the Kraken or the Jets so that's not a concern. Theirs also predate both so even if that was a concern then take it up with the Kraken and Jets. 

I see your point, but it seems like an easy solution would be to use the logo without the roundel. Why not just have the cannon on the jersey? 

Also, just as big of an issue with that uniform is that it completely ignores the Blue Jackets' use of red. Add some into that look in a subtle way, and you'll have something nice. 

17 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I see your point, but it seems like an easy solution would be to use the logo without the roundel. Why not just have the cannon on the jersey? 

Have you ever seen the cannon without the roundel? It's a well-rendered illustration, but by itself it lacks a certain punch. That and every bad CBJ concept on the internet has used just the cannon and I don't like it. 

spacer.png

17 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Also, just as big of an issue with that uniform is that it completely ignores the Blue Jackets' use of red. Add some into that look in a subtle way, and you'll have something nice. 

See I like that the alternate doesn't use any red. It makes it a true alternate brand, kind of like a clash kit in soccer. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 7/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, habsfan1 said:

Maybe they want to seperate themselves from the Rangers comparissons.

Ridiculous considering they look nothing alike 🙄

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 7/20/2022 at 1:22 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

I had to google yellow hockey pants and honestly, with the white jersey, I think it could look alright. As a once in a while thing, of course

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gophers wore them for their 100th anniversary set and they looked great.

BWR08468.JPG

BWR01918.jpg
BWR04113.jpg

• Love 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

There is way too much happening in that logo at the same time, but those Northwestern stripes are basic as hell. It's unappealing coming and going.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫