2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I'd laugh if they bring back royal jersey as a third but the rest will stay:

Oilers_Alternate_Authentic_Jersey_Multic

From all insider accounts, the navy jersey is sticking around as the alternate, so it's definitely not that. And since the RR is similarly accounted by insiders to be gear jersey-based, the only way they'd be able to bring this royal blue jersey into the fold would be as a primary design.

Yawn

This is what they should be wearing, minus the orange cuffs. Keep the orange as an alternate and scrap the stealth jersey. Their current white jersey is one of the best they've ever worn

spacer.png

I don't care what anyone says, the royal blue jerseys are extremely dated and Gretzky left the team 40 years ago, it's time to move on. Leave dark royal blue and orange to the Islanders, they look much better than Edmonton in those colours

If it was up to me, they would be wearing navy and copper. If there's ONE team in the league that needs a drab and dark colour scheme, it's the team called the Oilers ffs.

Oh well, gotta sell some jerseys to suckers trying to relive their glory years, eh?

• Dislike 7

5 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yawn

This is what they should be wearing, minus the orange cuffs. Keep the orange as an alternate and scrap the stealth jersey. Their current white jersey is one of the best they've ever worn

spacer.png

I don't care what anyone says, the royal blue jerseys are extremely dated and Gretzky left the team 40 years ago, it's time to move on. Leave dark royal blue and orange to the Islanders, they look much better than Edmonton in those colours

If it was up to me, they would be wearing navy and copper. If there's ONE team in the league that needs a drab and dark colour scheme, it's the team called the Oilers ffs.

Oh well, gotta sell some jerseys to suckers trying to relive their glory years, eh?

Between the royal blue and the stealth becoming primary home, i'd choose the Royal blue anytime. But yeah, these would've been perfect.

Here's what it'd look like compared to the navy blue. Classic look that would never have to change. *Sigh* maybe in 5-6 years they'll understand

Oilers "New" Retro Jersey – VS – What I Wish They Did : r/EdmontonOilers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Leave dark royal blue and orange to the Islanders, they look much better than Edmonton in those colours.

This. I get that they have different uniform designs, but man their colors, classic striping and the fact that both teams have circle logos. It's just too close together for my liking. I've always preferred the Oilers in navy.

I almost feel like whenever they play each other, one of the teams seems to wear an alternate. Maybe others feel the same way or it's just a coincidence. 

• Love 1

The problem is the Oilers and Islanders' royal looks are both tied to incredibly iconic teams and franchise legends; for both franchises, the navy stuff is mostly tied to failure, and extended periods of it as well. In terms of marketing, you're probably better off linking your guys to Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey instead of that time in your franchise history that you nearly :censored:ed off to Houston or Kansas City or that one Cup Finals run that died as soon as your goalie got injured.

Besides, if we can have multiple red/black/white teams in the NHL, I think we can afford two royal blue/orange/white teams as well, especially since the striping designs are completely different and one team uses a shoulder yoke while the other doesn't.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Between the royal blue and the stealth becoming primary home, i'd choose the Royal blue anytime. But yeah, these would've been perfect.

Here's what it'd look like compared to the navy blue. Classic look that would never have to change. *Sigh* maybe in 5-6 years they'll understand

Oilers "New" Retro Jersey – VS – What I Wish They Did : r/EdmontonOilers

I would prefer without the orange cuffs or maybe with white name and numbers, cause there's just way too much orange on that jersey, but even as is, this is still much better than royal blue

32 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The problem is the Oilers and Islanders' royal looks are both tied to incredibly iconic teams and franchise legends; for both franchises, the navy stuff is mostly tied to failure, and extended periods of it as well. In terms of marketing, you're probably better off linking your guys to Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey instead of that time in your franchise history that you nearly :censored:ed off to Houston or Kansas City or that one Cup Finals run that died as soon as your goalie got injured.

Besides, if we can have multiple red/black/white teams in the NHL, I think we can afford two royal blue/orange/white teams as well, especially since the striping designs are completely different and one team uses a shoulder yoke while the other doesn't.

Red and black is super generic across all sports, and we complain all the time that those teams look too similar to each other so I have no idea what you're talking about

It's pretty simple really, the Islanders don't look dated but the Oilers do. Time to move on, or at the very least, fix a couple small things that would make it look less dated

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I would prefer without the orange cuffs or maybe with white name and numbers, cause there's just way too much orange on that jersey, but even as is, this is still much better than royal blue

Red and black is super generic across all sports, and we complain all the time that those teams look too similar to each other so I have no idea what you're talking about

It's pretty simple really, the Islanders don't look dated but the Oilers do. Time to move on, or at the very least, fix a couple small things that would make it look less dated

pAun3z9.png

I don't necessarily see the Oilers Dynasty uniforms as dated but I don't think they should bring them back as is. You can ignore my changes to the logo as I insert yet another one of my shameless plugs. But IMHO, the Oilers should find a medium between Dynasty and Navy Blue & get rid of the yokes and orange sleeves. 

So the 90's uniforms minus the navy and copper. 

• Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

How do the oilers look dated? Those same arm stripes are used by half the league, shoulder yokes have been used in hockey throughout their it’s history and not tied to any specific time to look “dated.” It’s not the colors because you already stated the islanders don’t look dated in the same colors.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

pAun3z9.png

I don't necessarily see the Oilers Dynasty uniforms as dated but I don't think they should bring them back as is. You can ignore my changes to the logo as I insert yet another one of my shameless plugs. But IMHO, the Oilers should find a medium between Dynasty and Navy Blue & get rid of the yokes and orange sleeves. 

So the 90's uniforms minus the navy and copper. 

I would like to see something like this with the shoulder yoke... so I guess just with the cuffs changed haha.

• Like 1

Frankly, for a younger generation of fans the royal blue jerseys don't bring memories of the Gretzky years - they bring to mind the constant failure of the 2010 to 2016 Oilers.

Even if I wasn't huge on the orange primary look, at least it was kind of acknowledging that and building a new look for a new era. Navy + orange could have been a very sharp McDavid-era identity if they stuck to it (and made a navy version of the classic sweater the primary)

• Applause 1

9 hours ago, dont care said:

How do the oilers look dated? Those same arm stripes are used by half the league, shoulder yokes have been used in hockey throughout their it’s history and not tied to any specific time to look “dated.” It’s not the colors because you already stated the islanders don’t look dated in the same colors.

The aspect of the Oilers jersey that is most tied to a time period design wise is the logo with it's very 1970s font, and I see no calls to change that. And for good reason, that logo is wonderful.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Point1 said:

Frankly, for a younger generation of fans the royal blue jerseys don't bring memories of the Gretzky years - they bring to mind the constant failure of the 2010 to 2016 Oilers.

Even if I wasn't huge on the orange primary look, at least it was kind of acknowledging that and building a new look for a new era. Navy + orange could have been a very sharp McDavid-era identity if they stuck to it (and made a navy version of the classic sweater the primary)

The problems are two-fold. 

The first is that in this era of mass media it's easier for younger fans to see and experience older teams than its ever been before. Media is so all-encompassing that the idea that younger fans just don't know about teams that played before they were born isn't true anymore. 

The second is that they seem to always return to the Gretzky look anyway. They went to navy, copper, and salmon of all things in the late 90s and rode that until the Edge changeover when they butchered that identity. Then they just decided to go to the classic Gretzky look and everyone was happy.

Then they decided they needed a unique look for McDavid's era. So the royal became navy again and orange became the primary. How effective was that? Well we're on the verge of the Gretzky look (or something based off of it) again. 

Maybe it's because the era in orange was just as disappointing as what came before. Maybe orange just didn't land with the fanbase (it is close to arch rival Calgary's red and gold). Whatever reason they're returning to the classic look. Again. 

So if the Oilers are going to constantly try and change their brand only to return to the look they wore when they won five Cups then maybe... just maybe... that's what they should just be wearing? 

bUt No OnE rEmEmBeRs GrEtZkY 

Come on now. Yes they do. The Gretzky Oilers were arguably the greatest hockey team ever assembled. So good they lost the best player ever and still won another Cup. 

When you have that history it's not the worse thing ever to just rep that look all the time.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

The first is that in this era of mass media it's easier for younger fans to see and experience older teams than its ever been before. Media is so all-encompassing that the idea that younger fans just don't know about teams that played before they were born isn't true anymore. 

I think that very fact (i.e., younger fans don't know their team's history) has been proven on this very part of the interweb.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

The problems are two-fold. 

The second is that they seem to always return to the Gretzky look anyway. They went to navy, copper, and salmon of all things in the late 90s and rode that until the Edge changeover when they butchered that identity. Then they just decided to go to the classic Gretzky look and everyone was happy.

Then they decided they needed a unique look for McDavid's era. So the royal became navy again and orange became the primary. How effective was that? Well we're on the verge of the Gretzky look (or something based off of it) again. 

Maybe it's because the era in orange was just as disappointing as what came before. Maybe orange just didn't land with the fanbase (it is close to arch rival Calgary's red and gold). Whatever reason they're returning to the classic look. Again. 

So if the Oilers are going to constantly try and change their brand only to return to the look they wore when they won five Cups then maybe... just maybe... that's what they should just be wearing? 

bUt No OnE rEmEmBeRs GrEtZkY 

Come on now. Yes they do. The Gretzky Oilers were arguably the greatest hockey team ever assembled. So good they lost the best player ever and still won another Cup. 

When you have that history it's not the worse thing ever to just rep that look all the time.

I'm not saying younger fans don't remember Gretzky or aren't aware of those older teams. I'm saying when I (as a 26 year old, and I imagine this is the case for younger fans as well) see those jerseys on a modern template, the subconscious association I make is with Hall/Eberle/Nugent-Hopkins/Schultz/Yakupov and not with the Gretzky era.