2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

10 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Yeah, because I've basically never seen a Weagle-front jersey concept I've actually thought was made better from the Weagle's place as primary; it's got way too much negative space to work as a primary logo when combined with how tall and wide the logo is. The Weagle works as a compliment, it looks fine on merchandise, but as a primary logo used for media graphics and all of that, it's kind of lacking.

There's a good reason the Caps limit the Weagle's usage to where it actually works; as a shoulder patch, as a media graphic and on merchandise.

Also, it'd defeat the point of Reverse Retro to just make a Frankenjersey of elements from all over their history, anyways; there's stretching the definition and then there's just not actually bothering with it and just making an alternate because you didn't feel like trying.

To be honest, the Caps are one of the teams that could get away with a Frankenjersey. They could put the Weagle on the red 1974-75 jersey EVEN if it looks similar to the Columbus CBJ jersey.

That would look better than some of the Reverse Retros from 2021, e.g., Minnesota, NYR, Philly, and Dallas.

I don't understand the appeal of the Screagle at all. It's horribly lopisided to the bottom left.  I can't tell if the eagle has one or two wings, not in an interestingly abstract or intentional way, but because they just merge into an uninteresting blob in the upper right. The head and talon are rendered to imply three dimensionality, but the wing/body blob is flat. I want to say the perspective of the stars is wrong, but I can't because I'm not sure what the perspective of the eagle is supposed to be. There doesn't seem to be any significance or thought put into the overall silhouette of the logo, it's just what was left over when they put all the parts together. It feels like a napkin draft of a logo.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

I know that it is a concept and not the official jersey, but that is fugly.

Is it really that challenging to put the Weagle on the front of the jersey?

They may still yet do a Weagle on a RR jersey in the future, but it would have to be in the blue/black/alt scheme. 

If you're looking for a weagle jersey in red/white/blue, then it's just a normal alternate. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I don't understand the appeal of the Screagle at all. It's horribly lopisided to the bottom left.  I can't tell if the eagle has one or two wings, not in an interestingly abstract or intentional way, but because they just merge into an uninteresting blob in the upper right. The head and talon are rendered to imply three dimensionality, but the wing/body blob is flat. I want to say the perspective of the stars is wrong, but I can't because I'm not sure what the perspective of the eagle is supposed to be. There doesn't seem to be any significance or thought put into the overall silhouette of the logo, it's just what was left over when they put all the parts together. It feels like a napkin draft of a logo.

Most of my good feelings towards the Screagle, I'm realizing, are connected to the jerseys it appeared on rather than the logo itself.  My Caps hot take has always been that they looked their absolute best between '95 and '00 when the blue Screagle jersey was the main dark jersey.  Over time, the Capitol building logo has really, really grown on me, to the point where I now think it's easily the better logo.  The problem is that the only jerseys it ever appeared on as the main logo during the blue-bronze-black era was the one combination (black and bronze) that was the drabbest, most boring jersey of the lot (and the one jersey that happened to most closely resemble their biggest rivals).  Stick the Capitol building on these jerseys, remove the incredibly dumb (but also hopelessly 90's) CAPITALS from the stripe and you've got a really good set, even by today's standards.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

Love when teams say they are "proud" or "excited" about a jersey sponsor partner.

They treat it like a blockbuster trade, free agent signing or new uniform unveiling. It's nothing to be proud or excited about. If selling ad space on your jersey is the only reason your team can turn a profit, there's a problem. 

I wish there was more backlash from casual fans, but most of them don't even care. 

• Like 11

The Screagle, as a logo, sucks. I agree that it's got weird dimensions, an odd shape, and weird proportions, but what makes me like it is the color scheme. The blue/gold/black was unique, and looked surprisingly good. I wish the Caps had stuck with that color scheme.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Completely agree, that "federal" slate  and bronze is a great, unique color scheme. Bring that back, leave the logo in the past.

And in fact, if you simply flip  the landmark imagery on the Weagle that removes a fair bit of the negative space that annoys Ridley. 

kip8GQt.png

Eagle, Capitol, W covered on the chest. Maybe a DC flag with hockey sticks for stripes on the shoulders and the Caps' imagery from all eras is covered, minus cheesy text.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Yawn 1

50 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Completely agree, that "federal" slate  and bronze is a great, unique color scheme. Bring that back, leave the logo in the past.

And in fact, if you simply flip  the landmark imagery on the Weagle that removes a fair bit of the negative space that annoys Ridley. 

kip8GQt.png

Eagle, Capitol, W covered on the chest. Maybe a DC flag with hockey sticks for stripes on the shoulders and the Caps' imagery from all eras is covered, minus cheesy text.

That color scheme, that logo, plus the Capitol building logo and you’re set identity-wise for the foreseeable future. 

I’ve said it before, but it’s ironic that of all of the RWB teams in the Big 4, D.C. teams should probably have the biggest claim to use that color scheme of any of them, and yet the Caps’ usage of blue black and bronze is probably the best any team who’s pivoted away from RWB has looked, and moving back to that color scheme would seriously distinguish them from the rest of the pack and reintroduce some seriously sharp threads into the NHL. 

Of course, with all the sustained success of the Ovi-Backstrom era in RWB, there’s no chance the Caps change color schemes for the foreseeable future. But one can dream. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

I like the gold Vegas jersey, but it really should just stay as an alternate. If they have decided to make the switch hopefully that doesn't mean the end of the grey set.

Also, if they do make gold the primary look, I wonder if the black pants get scrapped. Both the gold & white jerseys are completely devoid of any black, aside from the logo. The grey pants would probably look pretty solid with the white jersey.

I'm honestly down for the Golden Knights to wear golden jerseys full time. If there's any sports team that can ostensibly pull that off, it's the expansion team from Vegas. I just hope they nix the chrome helmets.

Also, at least the sponsor patch isn't as ugly and out of place as the Penguins.

16 hours ago, alecgoff said:

New sponsor patch for the Golden Knights next year, while also hinting at a potential switch to Gold as the primary home jersey.

Honestly I don't know what bugs me more, the ad itself or the fact that they, apparently, think people won't hate it as much if they call it something pretentious like a "jersey entitlement partnership." 🙄

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

16 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Golden Knights' gold jersey would look way better if there was no white on it. There's really no need to have any of the color on the jersey at all. It looks so out of place. 

They don't look bad, but they don't need that white color. In all reality, they need to swap it with black so it fully mimics the grey home jersey. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Golden Knights' gold jersey would look way better if there was no white on it. There's really no need to have any of the color on the jersey at all. It looks so out of place. 

Well they literally just swapped the gold & white portions of their away jersey.