2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

31 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

A 200 foot hockey rink would be dwarfed by the massive size of Daytona. The stands at Daytona are like 1/2-3/4 mile long. 

I know, and of course I don't think they'd use the seating at the far ends.  Use the area around the start/finish line and place some temporary stands on pit road and you can probably seat around 35-40k.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 9:19 PM, DTConcepts said:

The NHL has no need to keep recycling teams and venues. There are plenty of potential matchups I can think of off the top of my head.

- Isles vs. Rangers at MetLife

- Avalanche vs. Wild at Invesco Empower or Coors Field

- Caps vs. Canes at FedEx Field

- Devils vs. Rangers at Rutgers

Hell, if they can give Dallas and Nashville a Winter Classic they can give Tampa and Florida a game too.

I have a feeling the Devils wouldn't be too pleased about not being included in an outdoor game being played in East Rutherford. Also with MetLife being home to 2 NFL teams, I don't think it would be feasible for them to host a New Years Day game there.

Some likely future ones I can come up with:

• Columbus vs. Detroit/Pittsburgh/Tampa at Ohio Stadium 
  • Seattle vs. Vancouver at either Lumen Field or T-Mobile Park (maybe in a few years once the Kraken are more competitive)
  • Buffalo vs. Boston at the new Bills stadium 

And some out-of-the-box ideas:

• Washington vs. Philadelphia at Camden Yards 
  • Minnesota vs. Chicago at Lambeau Field
  • Vegas vs. Colorado at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo, UT
  • Pittsburgh vs. Washington at Mountaineer Field in West Virginia
  • Carolina vs. Rangers/Bruins at Rentschler Field in Hartford (not sure how former Whalers fans would feel about this though)

The Bruins-Penguins could both do jerseys from early 90s. Bruins black meth bear and Penguins white robo-penguin. These jerseys actually overlapped for a couple seasons. 

I also want to see Swayman and Ullmark go full Moog/Lemelin with their gear and masks. 

7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I have a feeling the Devils wouldn't be too pleased about not being included in an outdoor game being played in East Rutherford. Also with MetLife being home to 2 NFL teams, I don't think it would be feasible for them to host a New Years Day game there.

Some likely future ones I can come up with:

• Columbus vs. Detroit/Pittsburgh/Tampa at Ohio Stadium 
  • Seattle vs. Vancouver at either Lumen Field or T-Mobile Park (maybe in a few years once the Kraken are more competitive)
  • Buffalo vs. Boston at the new Bills stadium 

• Carolina vs. Rangers/Bruins at Rentschler Field in Hartford (not sure how former Whalers fans would feel about this though)

Chicago vs Minnesota at Lambeau… you are crazy and I like it. Kinda a Calgary vs Winnipeg in Regina vibe

• Like 1

zyyMk1d.png

12 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

As much as this BYU grad would love to see NHL in Provo, there are at least two problems with this:

1. They don’t sell beer at LaVell Edwards Stadium. Or pretty much anywhere else in Provo (and yet BYU football players somehow are able to find it and consume it in front of either a cop or the media).

2.  More importantly, there aren’t very many hockey fans in Provo. I know, as I was one of the few. In fact, for being a winter sports haven and a former Winter Olympics city, Salt Lake City is a surprisingly mediocre hockey market. That’s not to say there aren’t hockey fans there doing the Lord’s work spreading the gospel of Howe, Orr, and Gretzky, it’s just that there aren’t enough of them to even make a smaller venue like Rice Eccles Stadium work. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

5 hours ago, Mingjai said:

1. They don’t sell beer at LaVell Edwards Stadium. Or pretty much anywhere else in Provo (and yet BYU football players somehow are able to find it and consume it in front of either a cop or the media).

This is like wondering how gun crimes are able to occur in 2 of the strictest gun law cities in the the nation (New York and Chicago). They buy them outside the city and bring them in and/or buy them from their buddy who already has it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mingjai said:

As much as this BYU grad would love to see NHL in Provo, there are at least two problems with this:

2.  More importantly, there aren’t very many hockey fans in Provo. I know, as I was one of the few. In fact, for being a winter sports haven and a former Winter Olympics city, Salt Lake City is a surprisingly mediocre hockey market. That’s not to say there aren’t hockey fans there doing the Lord’s work spreading the gospel of Howe, Orr, and Gretzky, it’s just that there aren’t enough of them to even make a smaller venue like Rice Eccles Stadium work. 

You’re absolutely right on both counts. A Winter Classic in Provo is an idea that sounds awesome in theory but would have a lot of roadblocks. That said, if by some miracle it worked? I’d pay whatever dollar it took to go. I live just minutes from the stadium and would be thrilled.

EDIT: I will say this, I have seen more and more Knights fans pop up along the Wasatch Front in the last few years….not overwhelmingly, but it’s evidence that hockey is starting to interest at least a few more people here.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

16 hours ago, B-mer said:

The Bruins-Penguins could both do jerseys from early 90s. Bruins black meth bear and Penguins white robo-penguin. These jerseys actually overlapped for a couple seasons. 

I also want to see Swayman and Ullmark go full Moog/Lemelin with their gear and masks. 

So Reverse Retro for the Winter Classic? Doesn't the WC try to be more vintage than the 80s/90s? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, dont care said:

This is like wondering how gun crimes are able to occur in 2 of the strictest gun law cities in the the nation (New York and Chicago). They buy them outside the city and bring them in and/or buy them from their buddy who already has it. 

Oh, absolutely. I say it facetiously because visitors always complaint about how stone cold sober Provo is and yet every year a BYU athlete will get busted, not by the university but by the Provo cops and local media. Of course my friends on the football team back in the day used to claim Provo cops would follow them around, and it wouldn’t surprise me if that were true to a degree. The city of Provo’s has a love-hate relationship with the university that is very different than, e.g., an SEC school and it’s town.

8 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

You’re absolutely right on both counts. A Winter Classic in Provo is an idea that sounds awesome in theory but would have a lot of roadblocks. That said, if by some miracle it worked? I’d pay whatever dollar it took to go. I live just minutes from the stadium and would be thrilled.

EDIT: I will say this, I have seen more and more Knights fans pop up along the Wasatch Front in the last few years….not overwhelmingly, but it’s evidence that hockey is starting to interest at least a few more people here.

I get why the Knights put their AHL team in Henderson, but I do think they missed a huge opportunity to spread their brand up the I-15 corridor by not putting the Silver Knights in Salt Lake City. Because of geography and history, Utah has more of an affinity towards Las Vegas than Denver anyway, but putting an AHL team there combined with the buzz the Golden Knights already generated would solidify the growing Utah market for the Knights.

• Like 3

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

I get why the Knights put their AHL team in Henderson, but I do think they missed a huge opportunity to spread their brand up the I-15 corridor by not putting the Silver Knights in Salt Lake City. Because of geography and history, Utah has more of an affinity towards Las Vegas than Denver anyway, but putting an AHL team there combined with the buzz the Golden Knights already generated would solidify the growing Utah market for the Knights.

Seems true across all sports that the value of a minor-league team keeping players close to the parent club is outstripping the value of that same team colonizing fan markets in new places.

i don’t have the numbers or insight to know why. Just seems like the pattern across the board at this point.

• Like 2

Lucas Daitchman @ldconceptssays a black Screamin’ Eagle jersey will be the Caps’ RR jersey. 

These will probably sell out fairly quickly in the area

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2022/04/17/rumor-capitals-to-rock-screaming-eagle-jerseys-in-black-for-next-seasons-reverse-retro-revival/

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 minutes ago, Patchey13 said:

I love that, but it seems a bit too similar to their previous one. I would have preferred a blue capital logo jersey. The Caps do belong in Red/White/Blue but that 90s colour scheme is super underrated imo.

I get why they'd do the Screagle again; their first run with the red Screagle jersey proved super popular, and a lot of people wanted a new Caps jersey in that mid 90's-2000's color scheme; so taking the Screagle design and doing one with the original colors of that era instead of the current colors makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Oh, absolutely. I say it facetiously because visitors always complaint about how stone cold sober Provo is and yet every year a BYU athlete will get busted, not by the university but by the Provo cops and local media. Of course my friends on the football team back in the day used to claim Provo cops would follow them around, and it wouldn’t surprise me if that were true to a degree. The city of Provo’s has a love-hate relationship with the university that is very different than, e.g., an SEC school and it’s town.

I, too, am bummed that the Golden Knights missed a huge opportunity to expand their regional fanbase by not placing their AHL affiliate in Salt Lake, but I feel another factor that may have kept them out (and may still be keeping the AHL out) is current ECHL Utah Grizzlies ownership.

The Elmore Sports Group,  best known for owning the 3 MiLB teams that shifted around in 2019, owns the Grizzlies and has stated that they are content with staying at the AA level, given their more recent on-ice success and rivalry with Idaho. They also don’t seem willing to hand the reigns over to another ownership group who could move up to the AHL.

When the Grizzlies moved down in 2005, it made sense, as there were plenty of nearby teams in the ECHL and no nearby teams in the AHL (the closest team was San Antonio IIRC). However, since the Great Westward AHL Migration of 2015, the geographic footprints of the leagues have largely flipped, with Idaho and Rapid City being the closest ECHL teams and Henderson and all the California teams being close by in the AHL.

The LA Kings host the yearly Frozen Fury at Vivint Arena, and a local article mentions that Kings president Luc Robitaille (who spends part of his time ) has been “pushing” for an AHL team in Utah. But the real question then is: What AHL team would go to Salt Lake? There’s going to be a full 32 teams starting next season, many with new arenas, plus I don’t see the Kings moving the Ontario Reign anytime soon.

Edited by officeglenn
Formatting

On 4/14/2022 at 9:19 PM, DTConcepts said:

The NHL has no need to keep recycling teams and venues. There are plenty of potential matchups I can think of off the top of my head.

- Isles vs. Rangers at MetLife

- Avalanche vs. Wild at Invesco Empower or Coors Field

- Caps vs. Canes at FedEx Field

- Devils vs. Rangers at Rutgers

Hell, if they can give Dallas and Nashville a Winter Classic they can give Tampa and Florida a game too.

Three out of the four potential matchups have been or will be featured in the Stadium Series games. The Avs/Wild is the lone exception. That would be awesome match-up if it happened in the next 2 seasons.

On 4/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, WSU151 said:

Lucas Daitchman @ldconceptssays a black Screamin’ Eagle jersey will be the Caps’ RR jersey. 

These will probably sell out fairly quickly in the area

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2022/04/17/rumor-capitals-to-rock-screaming-eagle-jerseys-in-black-for-next-seasons-reverse-retro-revival/

I know that it is a concept and not the official jersey, but that is fugly.

Is it really that challenging to put the Weagle on the front of the jersey?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

I know that it is a concept and not the official jersey, but that is ugly.

Are you and I seeing the same jersey? I’d buy that thing in a heartbeat if it didn’t cost $200 and would be sold out within milliseconds of it going live. 

I still think a blue capitol building jersey with the ‘98 color scheme and design would’ve been the best possible option, but I’ll definitely take this as a consolation prize. 

• Like 4

spacer.png

57 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

Is it really that challenging to put the Weagle on the front of the jersey?

Yeah, because I've basically never seen a Weagle-front jersey concept I've actually thought was made better from the Weagle's place as primary; it's got way too much negative space to work as a primary logo when combined with how tall and wide the logo is. The Weagle works as a compliment, it looks fine on merchandise, but as a primary logo used for media graphics and all of that, it's kind of lacking.

There's a good reason the Caps limit the Weagle's usage to where it actually works; as a shoulder patch, as a media graphic and on merchandise. If anything, I think going for the Screagle would make a better primary decision since it has the right weight for a team's primary logo.

Also, it'd defeat the point of Reverse Retro to just make a Frankenjersey of elements from all over their history, anyways; there's stretching the definition and then there's just not actually bothering with it and just making an alternate because you didn't feel like trying.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

Are you and I seeing the same jersey? I’d buy that thing in a heartbeat if it didn’t cost $200 and would be sold out within milliseconds of it going live. 

I still think a blue capitol building jersey with the ‘98 color scheme and design would’ve been the best possible option, but I’ll definitely take this as a consolation prize. 

Yes, I am seeing the same jersey. Just not a fan of the approach to this concept.