College Football 2022

Kevin W.

31 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Ohio State has revealed their CFP Peach Bowl uni. Throwback stripes as expected. New, however, is the template, which I believe Oregon has been using. One immediate downgrade I can see is that the swoosh and B1G logos are not level.  That will bother my OCD a bit.

I will be curious if other playoff teams update to this model as well. I remember a few years back, Nike often used the CFP as their big stage to reveal new templates. I don’t think the image Georgia posted with the current template means anything because it looked like the chrome swoosh and Peach Bowl patch were just sitting on top of the jersey and weren’t sewn on yet (you can see a shadow below them).

The Ducks have essentially had four seasons(!) of exclusive use of this template, having debuted it prior to the 2019 season. A few NFL players tested it in games in 2020, and I know some Ohio State players did the same in practice around the same time. I do think the plan was for Nike to have their elite programs (and the NFL, too) switch over to it for the 2020 or 2021 seasons, but the pandemic and continued supply chain issues almost surely prevented it from coming to fruition. As for the B1G patch not being level with the swoosh, I’m assuming they couldn’t make it level because of the entire logo being sewn directly into the fabric as opposed to a solid patch that’s just sewn around the perimeter. The Ducks (with their current jerseys) have been able to apply rubberized Pac-12  patches directly over the top of the ‘V’ shaped seam on the chest:

spacer.png

Nike also used a slightly different version of this template for Oregon’s “Ohana” jerseys in 2020, with a horizontal seam across the chest instead of the sharp ‘V’ shape. You can see again that the Ducks applied the Pac-12 patch (which was embroidered, not rubberized back then) over the top of the seam:

spacer.png

Nike also used the horizontal seam on the jerseys that DK Metcalf and a few other Seahawks players tested in 2020:

spacer.png

Feel like the horizontal seam would’ve been better for Ohio State as it would’ve allowed them to get the B1G patch closer to level with the swoosh.

One last thing: this template has recently been made available on Nike’s team uniform site, meaning it’ll be a catalog option for smaller colleges and high schools. They even have a version with shoulder stripes (which has the horizontal seam on the chest rather than the ‘V’ shaped seam), so you can get a good idea of what schools like UCLA, LSU, and Ole Miss could look like with this template.

https://niketeam.nike.com/en/en_US/nts/sport/mens/football

• Applause 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

16 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Ohio State has revealed their CFP Peach Bowl uni. Throwback stripes as expected. New, however, is the template, which I believe Oregon has been using. One immediate downgrade I can see is that the swoosh and B1G logos are not level.  That will bother my OCD a bit.

I will be curious if other playoff teams update to this model as well. I remember a few years back, Nike often used the CFP as their big stage to reveal new templates. I don’t think the image Georgia posted with the current template means anything because it looked like the chrome swoosh and Peach Bowl patch were just sitting on top of the jersey and weren’t sewn on yet (you can see a shadow below them).

That Peach Bowl patch is big clunky garbage. Would make sense to move the swoosh under the conference logo for better balance.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

That Peach Bowl patch is big clunky garbage. Would make sense to move the swoosh under the conference logo for better balance.

I don't know why they decided bowl patches need to take up the entire shoulder of a jersey.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't know why they decided bowl patches need to take up the entire shoulder of a jersey.

I feel like it is more about shrinking jersey real estate versus bowl patch sizes. Bowl patches have always been large, which worked fine when pads were massive and sleeves went down towards their elbows. As they get more and more shrink wrapped style, there’s less room to work with.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Georgia is confirmed to wear the new Nike template like Ohio State. At this point, I would assume Michigan and TCU will get updates, as well. Otherwise the jersey design for Georgia is absolutely identical to what they wear now. Unlike Ohio State, Georgia stitched the SEC patch at the same height as the Nike swoosh. @MJWalker45 called it that they would swap the Vince Dooley tribute patch to the other side. I just assumed they would drop it for the postseason.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I have to appreciate the Rose Bowl. They are one of the very few bowls that have their own identity (and logo!) in tact.

Rose Bowl Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

No sponsorship ads; just a rosebud. I like how they've been keeping it simplistic for the jersey patches too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Georgia is confirmed to wear the new Nike template like Ohio State. At this point, I would assume Michigan and TCU will get updates, as well. Otherwise the jersey design for Georgia is absolutely identical to what they wear now. Unlike Ohio State, Georgia stitched the SEC patch at the same height as the Nike swoosh. @MJWalker45 called it that they would swap the Vince Dooley tribute patch to the other side. I just assumed they would drop it for the postseason.

spacer.png

I’ll have to see better pictures, but it almost looks like those numbers have a shiny finish like what Oregon and TCU uses. The sheen is especially evident on the two #20 jerseys. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

I have to appreciate the Rose Bowl. They are one of the very few bowls that have their own identity (and logo!) in tact.

Rose Bowl Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

No sponsorship ads; just a rosebud. I like how they've been keeping it simplistic for the jersey patches too.

I wouldn’t chalk that up to the Rose Bowl having “integrity” or putting itself above sponsorships. I think it’s just that they don’t have a sponsor at the moment. Very surprising to be honest.

The Rose Bowl has been more than happy to have sponsors on the patch in years past.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The only one I know of in recent memory that went sponsorless was the 2021 CFP semi final that was held in Dallas due to covid restrictions in California. The patch said “2021” instead of the presenting sponsor.

spacer.png

To this day, I don’t know why they went sponsorless. Whether it had something to do with the game being in Dallas, or if Capital One was a late partnership with the game, who knows. But the field definitely had Capital One’s graphics. A bit confusing.

spacer.png

• Like 2

So, y'all wanna see something truly unique? Check out the Cure Bowl going on right now between UTSA and Troy State

UTSA's QB is wearing #0...and he's a lefty. Odd all the way around and cool as heck at the same time. 

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I wouldn’t chalk that up to the Rose Bowl having “integrity” or putting itself above sponsorships. I think it’s just that they don’t have a sponsor at the moment. Very surprising to be honest.

The Rose Bowl has been more than happy to have sponsors on the patch in years past.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The only one I know of in recent memory that went sponsorless was the 2021 CFP semi final that was held in Dallas due to covid restrictions in California. The patch said “2021” instead of the presenting sponsor.

spacer.png

To this day, I don’t know why they went sponsorless. Whether it had something to do with the game being in Dallas, or if Capital One was a late partnership with the game, who knows. But the field definitely had Capital One’s graphics. A bit confusing.

spacer.png

The Rose Bowl being played on turf indoors at the corporate warehouse that is Jerry World makes me sick.

• Applause 2

North Carolina Central appears to be wearing new maroon jerseys in the Celebration Bowl. Nothing fancy, the have white numbers, letters and Northwestern sleeve stripes. A major upgrade from the maroon jerseys they've been wearing which had dark gray numbers with a white outline. Didn't have much visibility on the maroon.

Hotter Than July > Thriller