2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

19 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

IMO this one is a little over the top and I think why the Spurs avoided the Fiesta motif for so long. They nailed it with the 2020 version and should have kept that one around a few years like the Suns and Jazz did.

Agreed, and while I understand where they're coming from, it's odd to have a jersey that pays tribute to one that was most famously worn by... Jordan and Shaq and Shawn Kemp, not any Spurs.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

On 10/27/2022 at 2:28 PM, MackAttack said:

IDK, Atlanta Hawks did it in 2016 with a deep volt color and it wasn't even that bad, plus the Jazz's yellow is pretty close to the Warriors' gold shirts, and that's not bad either.spacer.png

In all fairness, the Hawks never made an all-volt uniform. That would've been even more of an eyesore than the Jazz new highlighter cosplays or the Timberwolves' cheap imitations of the Seahawks' volt color rush uniforms.

A quick side note, I didn't dislike that set for the hawks. Swap the volt out for yellow and limit the triangle pattern the only around the shoulders and it'd be a great set. It works really well for a vibrant, modern city like Atlanta. I don't like it better than the current Hawks' set, but it was a bit better than many gave it credit for.

• Like 6

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

19 hours ago, Conrad. said:

They should've stopped before touching the fonts and kept their regular wordmark and numbers, and this would've been a decent controlled design. Now it looks more whimsical and all over the place than its 90s' counterpart, and that's saying a lot.

EDIT: Or used a more streamlined font of that style for the wordmark. Is that really the same font that's used for the numbers?? 

Edited by truepg

1 hour ago, Froob said:

My god what did the do to the lakers purple jerseys? Nike deserves jail time for this

spacer.png

to 

spacer.png

Well, considering it says "leave a legacy" above the jock tag, that's exactly what they did right here, and what they're doing so far this season. They've left behind their legacy for crap.

• LOL 5

2 hours ago, Froob said:

My god what did the do to the lakers purple jerseys? Nike deserves jail time for this

spacer.png

to 

spacer.png

Black.  Black happened.  Black For Black's Sake (BFBS) as they say in the Uni-sphere.  Mets and Knicks were not the originators, just some of the earliest offenders but not the last.

21 hours ago, projectjohn said:

IMO this one is a little over the top and I think why the Spurs avoided the Fiesta motif for so long. They nailed it with the 2020 version and should have kept that one around a few years like the Suns and Jazz did.

20201104_sas_rt_fiestashoot_77.jpg

I felt the white Fiesta uniform was also quite nice.

1200x0.jpg

But yeah, the new ones seem to be losing the plot. Reminiscent of the descent of the Vice uniforms.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

9 hours ago, Froob said:

spacer.png

to 

spacer.png

I don't know if LeBron gets any blame for adding the black or if it was just a coincidence but it's apart of his Lakers legacy and it's a bad look. Imagine someone going to the Yankees and they pushed for the team to add Khaki or something

• Like 4

3 hours ago, O.C.D said:

I don't know if LeBron gets any blame for adding the black or if it was just a coincidence

It was a coincidence, but even if he did, people would say it wasn't his fault.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, projectjohn said:

The 2000s Lakers jerseys were the best they’ve ever looked and that’s a hill I’m willing to die on.

Except for the wishbone collars. Those never looked good.

• Dislike 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

We just gonna ignore these???

spacer.png

spacer.png

Blame Nike all you want, but the Lakers signed off on these original BFBS threads (back in ‘13 for the original sleeveless version). Who knows whether that idea originated at Adidas or within the Lakers organization, but it doesn’t come to fruition without the Lakers ultimately signing off. I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to say that those very likely influenced the decision to add black into the purple threads when unveiling their new uniform set in 2018. You can bet those Hollywood Nights jerseys and the associated merch did pretty good sales numbers because 1) they’re the Lakers and 2) black sells, so the Lakers probably saw an opportunity to further integrate black into their identity by way of the new purple unis in that 2018 update. If there’s something to blame Nike for (even then the league had to approve it), it’s forcing the Association/Icon/Statement/City designations and getting rid of the white at home/color on road. That pushed the Lakers’ purple unis into alternate status, which likely made the traditional purples seem more dispensable in the Lakers’ eyes. If they wanted more of a traditional purple uni, or at least one without black, they’d get it. It’s clearly something they like, especially seeing as this new one is the 2nd iteration of the purple/black Statement unis.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I don't like that the Lakers purple jersey isn't just a color swap of the yellow jersey, what they switched to this year looks much better but I still wish it looked like the classic Lakers stuff. I think they should just have a black alternate jersey permanently and be done with it, especially considering the Black Mamba association.

The perfect Lakers set: GOLD, Purple, White and Black. Leave the last two for weekend/holiday games and quit screwing around.

• Like 9

bSLCtu2.png

On 10/29/2022 at 1:45 PM, Froob said:

spacer.png

To be fair new one is better than old one:

lakers-basketball-85820.jpg

But still it isn't what it should be and what fans wanted.

Speaking of black don't forget Rewind series (not used in game except old timers on ASW) which was probably the first time when they used black:

kobetrophies.jpg

IMO that ^ was their best black uniform they ever had.

Staying with Lakers, they made last minute(?) change of #5 and #7 font on their Classic jersey. This is how it look on unveiling (still use that font on profile picture):

FZqRqFvVEAAqk3Y?format=jpg&name=large

And this is from game:

rudy-gobert-of-the-minnesota-timberwolve

troy-brown-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-loo

• Like 6

4r2eer.png