2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

10 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Not for the small amount of people who love them and will drop hundreds of dollars on jerseys.   As long as it makes money they'll still keep doing it.

Right but I'm speaking from a perspective of what the NBA should do from someone who is actually interested in sports aesthetics. Not what they will do from the perspective of how they can best milk every last cent out of their fanbase..

• Yawn 1

38 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

Apparently the Hornets haven't used CLT because it's trademarked? I personally don't believe it for a second, if there's any need to license it then how on Earth did literally every other CLT sports team (including but not limited to: an MLS team, a minor league baseball team, a minor league hockey team, a lower-tier D1 university, and even a USL League One team) manage to acquire the license? This is the first time I've ever heard of it, plus, how can one even own an airport code trademark? I don't believe it meets the criteria for trademark but I haven't done any specific research yet.

Update: I found the trademark.

FhOvq8UUUAASo5X?format=jpg&name=medium

A company by the name of Aviate Brand owns the license for clothing. Still don't think this should stop the Hornets at all (especially for using it as their official abbreviation, which doesn't show up on clothing) but clearly it hasn't stopped the other teams anyway. I don't think this should be allowed to be trademarked anyway but it's there so clearly there are some legal obstacles.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Right but I'm speaking from a perspective of what the NBA should do from someone who is actually interested in sports aesthetics. Not what they will do from the perspective of how they can best milk every last cent out of their fanbase..

At the end of the day the NBA is a business and businesses all want to make as much money as possible and make their customers happy. Are they going to sacrifice profits just because some uniform nerds like us might get mad on the internet? 

I can't speak for all fanbases, but the reception to the Cavs set has been overwhelmingly positive. Usually the fanbases really like the city uniforms because they represent something to their home. Honestly I also think some are way better than a team's main uniform sets. 

This also isn't just something the NBA does. It's present in almost all sports and all levels of competition, aside from the NFL. The NHL hasn't gone full "city" but Reverse Retro has plenty of elements that break from a teams official branding. 

I'm not going to lose any sleep because team wears a different uniform for a dozen games a season. 

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the number slightly off center to the right?

Nah, same here. I think it's because the jersey is slightly twisted, leaning as it hangs. 
The "3" is skewed a tad bit. 
spacer.png

The GSW uni's in general just baffle me. I like Dallas Mavs City's the best.

• Like 3

º º º º

gYFfCIp.pngPtJSay1.png

31 minutes ago, GottaDeal said:

Bucks CMO:

Anyone have any theories why this is the case?

Huh? I’d love to hear the reasoning on this—just make sure you wear cream against a dark jersey, just as you would with yellow, orange, light blue, etc.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GottaDeal said:

Bucks CMO:

Anyone have any theories why this is the case?

I have a couple of ideas:

-Color replication may be more than effort than what it's worth, although considering how many colors Nike has that are similar, I think this is unlikely. 

-The other possibility I can think of is that the cream blends into the wood court too much, resulting in visibility issues. I think this is more likely, and I can see where they are coming from with this. It does sort of blend in, especially at the right angle and lighting (TV):

Bucks introduce new 'Cream City' uniform

It's unfortunate, but I think the situation is similar to what Serie A did with green uniforms. Since there are digital ads now, the cream color blending with the court so much would disrupt that. I think that's why he tiptoed around the issue. It sucks, but it's what this is all heading towards.

• Like 12

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

6 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

At the end of the day the NBA is a business and businesses all want to make as much money as possible and make their customers happy. Are they going to sacrifice profits just because some uniform nerds like us might get mad on the internet? 

I can't speak for all fanbases, but the reception to the Cavs set has been overwhelmingly positive. Usually the fanbases really like the city uniforms because they represent something to their home. Honestly I also think some are way better than a team's main uniform sets. 

This also isn't just something the NBA does. It's present in almost all sports and all levels of competition, aside from the NFL. The NHL hasn't gone full "city" but Reverse Retro has plenty of elements that break from a teams official branding. 

I'm not going to lose any sleep because team wears a different uniform for a dozen games a season. 

Okay. 

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

I'm surprised nobody pointed out that the Timberwolves City jersey will have a different pattern on the front for every player. Also, check out the laughable explanation for the colors on the front...

FhNiHWeXoAIOchd?format=jpg&name=large

FhNiJaBXEAEtSl7?format=jpg&name=large

FhNl2KwXwAASHYS?format=jpg&name=large

I thought it was based off a mural?

The entire Timberwolves rollout is a disaster.

• No one knows what building they're supposed to be inspired by.
  • The color inspirations are absolutely laughable. Who has been pining for the wolf eye and tongue colors?
  • The Nike-speak "We refuse to color inside the lines", "We don't follow the textbook". Are we a basketball team or a rebellious 8 year old?
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1

37 minutes ago, 5ss22 said:

Louder this time, since I posted this earlier in the thread.:

Chestmark: The ‘Minnesota’ wordmark and jersey numbers utilize a typeface created by a Minneapolis-based type designer, who was inspired by an iconic building in the city’s skyline. (source: Timberwolves)

While the news release didn't say so directly, people in Minnesota are familiar with Minneapolis' singular "iconic" structure that features type on the side, similar to the type used on this jersey. It's the Foshay Tower.  You can tell by the "S."

spacer.pngspacer.png

That's not to say the rollout of this wasn't a disaster. It's just not true that nobody knows which building they're referring to. 

• Like 4

Ok here are my ratings for everyone out of 10 

Atlanta - 7

Boston - 8

Brooklyn - 9 

Charlotte - 8

Chicago - 7

Cleveland -9

Dallas - 7

Denver - 6

Detroit - 6

Golden State - 9

Houston - 7

Indiana - 6

Los Angeles C - 6

Los Angeles L - 6

Memphis - 8

Miami - 9

Milwaukee - 9

Minnesota - 10

New Orleans - 8

New York - 7

Oklahoma - 6

Orlando - 6

Philadelphia - 8

Phoenix - 9

Portland - 8

Sacramento - 8

San Antonio - 10

Toronto - 7

Utah - 7

Washington - 10

• Huh? 1

1 hour ago, 5ss22 said:

• The color inspirations are absolutely laughable. Who has been pining for the wolf eye and tongue colors?
  • The Nike-speak "We refuse to color inside the lines", "We don't follow the textbook". Are we a basketball team or a rebellious 8 year old?

Refuses to color inside the lines, yet the design is contained within a box on the front of the jersey. Don't think they really conveyed what they were trying to say there.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)