MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

27 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

I would keep the black, it pairs with the teal nicely and the sleeveless jerseys looked great paired with a black undershirt.

th?id=OIP.-NSgWnbM0f2JRn8kzDpwqQHaHa%26p

I wouldn't mind adding orange or pink as an accent colour for logos, but teal and black should be the main colours.

They actually used to have some alternate logos with orange in them. It could definitely work.

Florida Marlins Logo Alternate Logo (1993-2004) - Marlins in teal with black outline and leaping marlin on baseball SportsLogos.Net

Florida Marlins Logo Alternate Logo (2003-2011) - Orange sunburst outside primary logo SportsLogos.Net

• Like 4

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Related to the jersey ads, I found it interesting that teams are using 3rd parties to locate and negotiate with advertisers.  I had just assumed that teams would have people in house making and fielding calls from potential partners, not hire a large "international digital-focused sports agency" that will use a "data-driven approach" to find an advertiser.

https://www.sportcal.com/sponsorship/mlbs-phillies-enlist-two-circles-to-secure-jersey-sponsor/

• Facepalm 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

After the Dodgers left that bad taste in my mouth AGAIN last season, I vowed to not purchase any of their merchandise until the win the World Series. But dammit I just couldn’t pass up that green Spring Training cap with the gold outline smdh…

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Flipping logos depending on handedness so that the jersey ad is more visible makes this even more shameless. 

Would Pete Rose have had two jerseys, one to wear while batting right handed, and one to wear while batting left handed? It's probably already addressed. I don't care to look for it.

FAKE EDIT - not a shot at Rose, he was the first switch hitter I thought of for the Reds.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

On 2/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, hormone said:

I love the teal and F logo. The problem with the marlins is, they have a sick obsession with black. It morphed into a silver-black from the original set. Then they redesigned and instead of owning orange and all the bright rainbow colors, it morphed into black. This recent redesign took black to such a new level, they give you a hat logo and overused alt that are nearly illegible. With Miami and sunshine and flashy colors, they literally could have embraced teal OR orange OR this new blue and chose to emphasize black each time

Agreed. OG Marlins look was really good, and it’s a shame they decided they didn’t like it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Would Pete Rose have had two jerseys, one to wear while batting right handed, and one to wear while batting left handed? It's probably already addressed. I don't care to look for it.

FAKE EDIT - not a shot at Rose, he was the first switch hitter I thought of for the Reds.

The weird part about the post is they talk about lefties and righties and then show the picture using a bunch of pitchers who will never bat. The dumb part of about the post is that it's happening.

(I speak for a small number of Reds fans/Cincinnati natives when I say: please take as many shots at Pete Rose as possible. That guy is  a butt.)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sport said:

Flipping logos depending on handedness so that the jersey ad is more visible makes this even more shameless. 

Hey, gotta find a way to spend that extra sponsor money! Might as well get some extra patches for good measure! /s

But seriously though, this is freakin ridiculous. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Mr. Redlegs only on one sleeve before? This is just new levels of going out of your way to make a sponsor happy. Although, I'm curious, what happens with a switch-hitter? Sponsor on both sides? 🤣

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Because baseball's design language only really called for one sleeve patch, I always liked the idea of changing that patch for handedness. I liked it for the ball-in-glove, not :censored:ing Kroger.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Because baseball's design language only really called for one sleeve patch, I always liked the idea of changing that patch for handedness. I liked it for the ball-in-glove, not :censored:ing Kroger.

The only time I liked it was for the all star game patch. Aside from that I feel like every player's uniform should be exactly uniform. 

Another reason I don't like it is that to flip the Mr Redlegs logo for the right sleeves they have to move the C to the right side of his chest. It's like how the Ravens logo on the left side of their helmets looks silly because you can't flip an asymmetrical letter like B or C. This is also one of those logos that can't be mirrored without some alteration that looks dumb. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

That's a valid argument -- the insignia should always be closer to the heart (cue the Rush). But you could argue that doing one sleeve is always going to be ununiform one way or the other, whether it's not being on the same sleeve for everyone or not readily visible at bat for everyone. It's never been a change I've absolutely been dead-set on, which I reserve for things like getting rid of the Cubs' road script.

I wonder if the Phillies sleeve numbers will move to the other side for some players.  That would be more nonuniform than moving a patch, since (while completely unnecessary), they're numbers, not decoration.

My guess is that they lose the numbers altogether.  I never cared for them, but they were unique and kinda their thing that they've owned for 31 seasons now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/18/2023 at 4:43 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

I wouldn't mind adding orange or pink as an accent colour for logos, but teal and black should be the main colours.

Stripes of both, whether bright like used in the past of pale like that hotel would work well on the primary in emulation of the iridescent shine of a fish's scales in the sunshine.

7d5fcf7d35428da16eaf4b653df70556.jpg

The Pensacola Blue Wahoos were probably what made this idea pop in my head, so there may be problems with overlap there.  But it would look cool and offer extra colors they could play with in their identity.  The Marlins usually use all the colors in their logo set, right?

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

Too many uniforms, most of them are bad, and they have advertising on them. This is truly the legacy of "why can't [league] be more like the NBAAAAAAAA?" whining.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

So only the home uniform features turquoise? Feels like the Twins previous uniforms mess with gold at home... Also the snake head hat isn't good enough to be the default home option. This was a way better home look for them considering their other sets.

FPcRdm_VkAMODIJ.jpg:large

• Like 4
  • Love 1