MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

1 hour ago, MNtwins3 said:

First game at home in the blue alternate, and the Twins have already deviated from solely wearing the M hat with that jersey

I love that they’re wearing the white-panel batting helmet with it. Looks beautiful.

• Like 4

Padres to wear PCL throwbacks in a few days.

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-padres-to-wear-pacific-coast-league-uniforms-on-april-17

This would appear to confirm that the 4+1 rule does not apply to one off alternates or throwbacks. The Padres have white and tan pins, brown, camo, plus their City Connect.

If this is true, I think this means a club like Atlanta, for example, could wear their true 1974 throwbacks in addition to their regular rotation. My understanding is they just wouldn’t get the full offering of merchandise from suppliers as if it were a permanent uniform and all that comes along with that (Authentic Collection on field and replica jerseys, tees, hoodies, and caps from Nike and New Era, Stance, etc). This tells me the Braves City Connect was essentially a way to milk the throwback money train full time by making it an official uniform.

13 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

First game at home in the blue alternate, and the Twins have already deviated from solely wearing the M hat with that jersey

Also worth noting: Five games at home so far and only two featuring the team's primary white home jersey.

They wore the cream Twin Cities set twice and now the blue alt. It's got me thinking whether the players doesn't favor the primary jersey. 

13 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

I feel like it's gonna be demoted being sold as an on-field alt hat without being worn like the orange Marlins, orange Astros and such and that they'll add a white paneled hat within a couple years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Padres to wear PCL throwbacks in a few days.

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-padres-to-wear-pacific-coast-league-uniforms-on-april-17

This would appear to confirm that the 4+1 rule does not apply to one off alternates or throwbacks. The Padres have white and tan pins, brown, camo, plus their City Connect.

If this is true, I think this means a club like Atlanta, for example, could wear their true 1974 throwbacks in addition to their regular rotation. My understanding is they just wouldn’t get the full offering of merchandise from suppliers as if it were a permanent uniform and all that comes along with that (Authentic Collection on field and replica jerseys, tees, hoodies, and caps from Nike and New Era, Stance, etc). This tells me the Braves City Connect was essentially a way to milk the throwback money train full time by making it an official uniform.

The Royals are going to wear Kansas City Monarchs throwbacks on September 16 too so one off throwbacks are definitely exempt.

bSLCtu2.png

14 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The Royals are going to wear Kansas City Monarchs throwbacks on September 16 too so one off throwbacks are definitely exempt.

I think it was kind of theorized here that the 4+1 rule is for "permanent" jerseys because Nike would have to create more of those per player to be worn by the players plus the different types and amounts of resulting merchandise that are created for main set, including the Authentic Collection.

Throwbacks don't have the same amount of merchandise created, including Authentic Collection, plus Nike probably only has to make one or two jerseys per player once because the team will only be able to wear it once or twice.

Yeah, the Braves City Connect was probably an attempt to split the difference with not being able to use the retros full time anymore (if that timeline matches up).

IbjBaeE.png

I thin the 4+1 is more of a "strong recommendation" rather than a rule.  If a MLB team wants to wear a uniform, and it's not the league itself prohibiting it, then they're going to get and wear that uniform.  I don't get how Nike gets to dictate a solution to a problem that they created.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, adsarebad said:

This is knocking it out of the park??

A jersey that is 90% similar to the Rangers.

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

And look at the sleeve patch, it's just a dark blue blob! 

Remember the old one with the twins!?

Do you know how many teams have had that striping pattern since the 70s?🙄

• Like 7

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

If by 90% you mean 10% being the striping and everything else being what a white jersey is with completely different wordmark AND numbers.

• Like 8

I think you may need a math lesson.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I really wish Minne and Paul would have still been the sleeve patch, but that “dark blue blob” is very obviously Minnesota. 

• Like 8

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, adsarebad said:

spacer.png

-

spacer.png

If he thinks those two look too similar, I hope he never finds out about the REST of the MLB.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • LOL 12