MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

A niche design complaint: at some point maybe in the 00s, Adidas stopped making the official Marathon jackets in the classic colors of blue and yellow and started just changing them every year to whatever trendy color is in that season's Adidas color palette line. A brand-screwing before it was cool. Ironic that the baseball team's own brand-screwing picks up that torch. 

Any sort of "what is the big deal about Boston's marathon anyway" takes should be a bannable offence, IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

Any sort of "what is the big deal about Boston's marathon anyway" takes should be a bannable offence, IMO.

Gonna send in the paperwork on that one we'll let you know in 4-5 weeks. 

• LOL 1

48 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Whether or not Boston can "claim" marathons is kind of beside the point. Sure Boston has the Boston Marathon and it's a big deal.

Doesn't mean the city's baseball team, just as engrained in the identity of the city if not more so, should ditch their traditional colours to homage the marathon. 

Exactly. Obviously the marathon is an iconic element of Boston. But it's an odd thing for a Major League Baseball team to base a uniform on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

Exactly. Obviously the marathon is an iconic element of Boston. But it's an odd thing for a Major League Baseball team to base a uniform on.

The most iconic and meaningful CC uniform is based on another sport. Why not have it look like the Celtics? The Boston Celtics are way more recognizable and familiar than the Boston Marathon. Or perhaps Cheers? I loved that show.

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Seattle's should have been a brown suit.

intro-1660487340.jpg

And as a nod to both this iconic Seattle radio host and the defunct Pilots, tossed salads and scrambled eggs on the cap:

seattlepilotshatfront_720x.png?v=1655514

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

To be clear, the question here should not be if the Boston Marathon is something you think about when you think about Boston. It should be whether or not the people of Boston consider the Boston Marathon to be important to them. And with the amount of history combined with the bombing in 2013, it's a core part of the modern identity of the city. 

If we're taking "City Connect" literally, as in something that connects the fans to the city, then the marathon is one of the top options for a team to pick as inspiration. If you want to question the program or design, that's fine. But it is unequivocally a great source of inspiration given the premise. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, IceCap said:

Whether or not Boston can "claim" marathons is kind of beside the point. Sure Boston has the Boston Marathon and it's a big deal.

Doesn't mean the city's baseball team, just as engrained in the identity of the city if not more so, should ditch their traditional colours to homage the marathon. 

The Red Sox helped the city heal after the bombings with the Boston strong and winning a World Series.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

The Red Sox helped the city heal after the bombings with the Boston strong and winning a World Series.

Ok.

I mean I hear a lot of reasons as to why the Boston Marathon is important. Which I don't think was ever in doubt.

But like... that doesn't mean the Red Sox need to use their colour scheme.

• Like 3

It's fine for batting practice on Patriots Day. I don't want to see it in a game on a Friday night in August. I'm not as much of a hardliner on alternates in baseball as I am in the other sports, where I find no use whatsoever for them, but the Red Sox don't need more than a home and away, and they certainly don't need a year-round tribute to the Boston Marathon.

• Like 10

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's fine for batting practice on Patriots Day. I don't want to see it in a game on a Friday night in August. I'm not as much of a hardliner on alternates in baseball as I am in the other sports, where I find no use whatsoever for them, but the Red Sox don't need more than a home and away, and they certainly don't need a year-round tribute to the Boston Marathon.

I agree with this. 

This debate isn't as much about the marathon as it is about the City Connect program in general. 

The Boston City Connect uniform probably adheres to the spirit of the program better than any others in the set. I can absolutely see the value of wearing that uniform for games played on the day of the race. It's a nice bow on top of the city's celebration of the event.

But that's it. I don't want to see it all season long. Make it a one-day thing. 

• Like 3

Anyhow the best thing I can say about City Connect unis is that some of them have a few good ideas that if tweaked could make for a decent identity, but that's it. Even the unis with those promising elements fail to pull it all together.  All in all it's a collection of bad alternates 

• Like 5

I wouldn't have a problem with the marathon CC uniforms if they only wore them around the time of the marathon. I also think they're pointless considering they already created a Boston Strong uniform that I feel has much more meaningful and came naturally instead of just trying to make more merch. The Athletic actually has a pretty good article explaining the meaning behind the uniforms. https://theathletic.com/923811/2019/04/15/the-story-behind-the-rare-boston-jerseys-the-red-sox-wear-on-patriots-day/ . 

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

I don't know, with 162 games a year I really don't mind the Red Sox breaking out some alternates. I like the regular whites, I like the red jerseys, I like the City Connects. I like the greys, but I'm not a huge fan of the navy blue jerseys. I'd wear red as an alternate home and away and bring in some kind of throwback as a weekend day game alternate. The 70s pullovers with the red hats would be perfect for that. 

15 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I don't know, with 162 games a year I really don't mind the Red Sox breaking out some alternates. I like the regular whites, I like the red jerseys, I like the City Connects. I like the greys, but I'm not a huge fan of the navy blue jerseys. I'd wear red as an alternate home and away and bring in some kind of throwback as a weekend day game alternate. The 70s pullovers with the red hats would be perfect for that. 

I'm lucky enough to have visited Fenway once. I'm glad they wore their home uniform that day, because it's their best look. Anything else would have detracted from the experience. It's why I'm anti-alt (which is different from supporting one alt or another for what they try to represent).

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

23 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I can't stand the red jerseys. I can't think of any true red jerseys in the majors that I do like or would like. (Phils in maroon would be fine.) Something about navy details on a red base is unpleasant to me.

YOUNG: Looking back at the Red Sox' Good-est Friday ever | Local Sports |  thesunchronicle.com

Such a great set, everything jumps out as it should. Shouldn't have messed with it.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I agree that the Red Sox probably adhered to the spirit of the City Connect program as well as anyone, as the Marathon is undeniably important to Boston & the team’s fans. I also agree that it simply doesn’t feel like a Red Sox uniform, and I’d only want them to wear it on Patriots’ Day at most. Anytime other than that, it feels incredibly jarring.

I haven’t liked the idea of the City Connect program since its inception, as it’s always felt like a cheap copy of the NBA program that was already getting stale, with the constant new designs for every team watering down brands in a major way.

That being said, a lot of interesting design ideas have come from it, honestly overall more good than bad, some of which would be improvements over the teams’ actual sets.

Here’s my ranking of the City Connects through Year 3 that no one asked for:

AMAZING

• Angels
  • White Sox

GREAT

• Rockies
  • Astros
  • Diamondbacks
  • Mariners (white pants would bump this up to “Amazing”)

GOOD

• Nationals
  • Red Sox
  • Braves
  • Rangers
  • Pirates

MEH

• Brewers
  • Cubs
  • Giants
  • Marlins 
  • Royals

BAD

• Dodgers 
  • Padres

• Like 1

The Twins have what looks to be an ad on their jersey tonight, on the left chest. It says “m rad.”

My favorite jersey in Twins history just got a little bit worse. I really hope the ads aren’t present on the jerseys available to purchase. 

EDIT: Nevermind, It’s actually a tribute to former scouting director Mike Radcliffe, who passed away in February. Weird that it took them this long to do something to honor him.