Minnesota Twins New Identity

Zooropeanx

1 hour ago, MNtwins3 said:

Nah. Kansas City has different home and road uniforms, along with the Yankees, Mets, Tigers, Guardians, White Sox, Cubs, Giants, Rangers, Reds, and Pirates

True, true.

I'll downgrade my complaint to "minor nitpick". I'm very glad the gold is going away, the TC got cleaned up, there's no clutter, and future unis will have a new style guide to draw from.

Still... different sleeve striping?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baseballfan2021 said:

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

Also, kudos to whoever it was that spotted the serifs on the numbers being inspired by the serifs on the (I presume to be) now-outgoing wordmark. 

I do find it strange that the serifs on the numbers appear to be inspired by a wordmark that is no longer part of the set… it creates a peculiar mismatch. Those serifs aren’t even part of the “T” in the TC anymore.

4 minutes ago, sitboaf said:

True, true.

I'll downgrade my complaint to "minor nitpick". I'm very glad the gold is going away, the TC got cleaned up, there's no clutter, and future unis will have a new style guide to draw from.

Still... different sleeve striping?

We haven’t seen any hints of the sleeve striping on anything other than the white jersey. 

• Like 3

Not a fan of the home jerseys according to what we have so far, I only like the sleeve piping. Red on white script without an outline would work for a red and white only team but considering the amount of navy on the hats and striping it simply doesn't look right. Also not a fan of their custom font, it's looking way too "modern" for such a classic looking uniform.

• Like 2

I'm not disappointed. It's simple and it works ( imo ). But I'm not sure about a traditional team simplifying their identity to a modern look. But, I guess everyone else ( including me ) expected something more. I'm curious how the roads will look. I am hoping for pinstripes. 

• Like 1

4kv29i.jpg

1 hour ago, MinnyHockey said:

I like how it's simplified but would prefer navy numbers on the front and back and or twins in navy with a red name plate.

That doesn't necessarily correlate. The TWINS wordmark is the primary focus of the front of the jersey and the number, secondary. On the back, it's reverse; the number is primary and the player's name, secondary. The red is clearly used, in this case, to "highlight" the primary component of the each side of the jersey, with navy "highlighting" the secondary component. Therefore, the way they have them colored is correct. They're not the first to do this. Not even the first time they have done this. Just look at their fist navy alternate from the 90s. "Twins" on the front and the number on the back were both white (trimmed in red), while the front number and NOB were both red (trimmed in white).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, McCall said:

That doesn't necessarily correlate. The TWINS wordmark is the primary focus of the front of the jersey and the number, secondary. On the back, it's reverse; the number is primary and the player's name, secondary. The red is clearly used, in this case, to "highlight" the primary component of the each side of the jersey, with navy "highlighting" the secondary component. Therefore, the way they have them colored is correct. They're not the first to do this. Not even the first time they have done this. Just look at their fist navy alternate from the 90s. "Twins" on the front and the number on the back were both white (trimmed in red), while the front number and NOB were both red (trimmed in white).

Yep; a modern example of a similar treatment of front number and NOB, with opposite team wordmark and back number:

Buddy Kennedy blasts grand slam for first career home run

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, tBBP said:

Also, kudos to whoever it was that spotted the serifs on the numbers being inspired by the serifs on the (I presume to be) now-outgoing wordmark. 

On 11/9/2022 at 6:28 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

the serifs on the C and 3 match the serifs on the 2009 Twins wordmark

I'd like to thank the Academy...

Final prediction concepts:

YS4ibsD.png

Seems all but guaranteed.

8iUPlB0.png

A la the old Red Sox, I think the Twins will do another color flip on the grays. But this is also possible:

n6750LS.png

eZxq5Yf.png

Red number on the front makes sense knowing the color flips on the back. Okay for the front number to be hard to read, but the back is a very legible white.

ulVOQ99.png

Continue to think this is an alternate, not the City Connect.

[Baby blue uniform here]
No indication what this could be, leaning towards a more retro look with either the original script or the Metrodome wordmark.

Overall a case of I didn't know this is what I wanted. Finally we ditch the worst uniforms in team history. Matches what was said about drawing  from the past while creating a modern, timeless look. And hey, the last time the Twins had a rebrand this drastic they won two rings in four years...

And we'll see you tomorrow morning!

• Like 6

Longshot prediction: No gray at all.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, McCall said:

Their first blue alt jersey was this one they started wearing in 1997 (my favorite):

Minnesota Twins' center fielder Jacque Jones (R) is greeted at the plate by  teammate Marcus Jensen (C) and the Minnesota batboy (L) after hitting a  two-run home run off Chicago White Sox

The Twins blue one came in 1998 to replace the awesome red Twins alternate.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The question for me is not the positives or negatives of grey (or powder blue) road uniforms per se, it's the use of a softball top (a jersey that's a different color from the pants) that I find troubling.

To me, a baseball uniform (or at least your standard home/away) ideally has a radial symmetry with the jersey/pants being one color and the socks/undersleeves having a different color. I think it has something to do with how the jersey and pants in baseball traditionally being the same material with the cap, stirrups, and undersleeves being different.

This is also why I'm not crazy about long pants or randomly colored (typically white) compression sleeves.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zooropeanx said:

Their first blue alt jersey was this one they started wearing in 1997 (my favorite):

Minnesota Twins' center fielder Jacque Jones (R) is greeted at the plate by  teammate Marcus Jensen (C) and the Minnesota batboy (L) after hitting a  two-run home run off Chicago White Sox

Yeah I meant to say "Minnesota" instead of "Twins", which itself was a reverse of this one. As was the primary navy "Minnesota" alternate from the departing set.

15 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I'd like to thank the Academy...

Final prediction concepts:

YS4ibsD.png

Seems all but guaranteed.

8iUPlB0.png

A la the old Red Sox, I think the Twins will do another color flip on the grays. But this is also possible:

n6750LS.png

eZxq5Yf.png

Red number on the front makes sense knowing the color flips on the back. Okay for the front number to be hard to read, but the back is a very legible white.

ulVOQ99.png

Continue to think this is an alternate, not the City Connect.

[Baby blue uniform here]
No indication what this could be, leaning towards a more retro look with either the original script or the Metrodome wordmark.

Overall a case of I didn't know this is what I wanted. Finally we ditch the worst uniforms in team history. Matches what was said about drawing  from the past while creating a modern, timeless look. And hey, the last time the Twins had a rebrand this drastic they won two rings in four years...

And we'll see you tomorrow morning!

I haven't seen any hint that the "MINNESOTA" wordmark will have that perspective effect to it, but rather just a basic arch.

16 hours ago, Zooropeanx said:

Ok-then why have the Twins' uniforms always had outlines on the script/lettering on the front of their jerseys since 1961?

If this is a dig at ownership it makes no sense.

It's more a snipe at how modern uniform designs go simple/minimalist due to being cheaper to manufacture insuring larger profit margins on team branded items for the team and manufacturer.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

16 hours ago, Zooropeanx said:

After the Sunday Red was discontinued after two games they wore the Navy "Minnesota" for Sunday home games as well as in 1998. 1999 or 2000 is when they got the Navy "Twins" set. Now SDS needs to add the Twins 90's or 2000's Alternates to the game. SDS for some reason aren't keen on adding missing alternate throwbacks or even missing away throwback uniforms.