Minnesota Twins New Identity

Zooropeanx

Overall, this is decent. It isn't bad. It's what I was expecting over the past week based on the rumors. Here all all my initial reactions and thoughts as a lifelong Twins fan and uniform nut.

• The wordmarks are growing on me! I'm liking the new Twins script more than I was last week when it was leaked The Twin Cities one is good, and the Minnesota reminds me of the 1987-2009 Road uniforms in a good way.
  • The updated TC. I didn't like it at first last week, but that's probably the fact that I was so used to the 1961-2022 TC that anything different would look weird.
  • The Primary Uniforms. Seeing it on an actual person, the Home Whites look a lot better than I thought. And The Road Greys are great too. Pinstripes are back (only on the road? Odd but okay.) The road uniform is so close to excellence, just wear the TC cap and its great. I'm usually anti-piping on pinstriped Uniforms, but it looks fine here.

Dislikes:

• The Number Font. It's not awful, but it's not well-suited for numbers IMO. Shoulda just stuck with Block Font.
  • The new M logo. The whole North Stars look it's going for is not it. I'm curious how it would look italicized with an underline like the 1987-2012 M logo?
  • The Navy Blue alternate. It's not bad, but it's a letdown. It's close to being good, but the color distribution to me misses the mark. The work mark needs some red. A red outline like the 1997-2009 road alternate would improve that. And same with what I said about the Road Greys, a modified M cap or TC cap would look better.
  • The Cream uniform is NOT GOOD for a Twins uniform. Just using Cream and Blue without any red kills it for me. Also the TC hat is somehow even worse. Some red would make it great. Maybe even pinstripes too?
  • Minnie and Paul have been killed, and this is a travesty. Rip 1961-1987/2000-2022. Their spirits remain on in the form of pennants, but their sacrifice will be in vein. I hope they rethink that decision and bring them back ASAP.

• Applause 1
  • Sad 1

da0Lbhs.png

Just now, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Are those crossed flags on the cream the supposed evolution of Minnie and Paul?

I think of them as memorial patches...to remind us that Minnie & Paul will live on in the fans' hearts and minds (and on the scoreboard).

• Like 2

bYhYmxh.png

I can get down with all of this, except I dislike the M* cap. Wearing that alternate cap on the road and paired with the alternate jersey probably ensures the TC is worn about 1/3 of the time. They need to emphasize the TC cap more. I even like the Twin Cities alternate. The cap has a bit of a vintage vibe.

• Like 2

It's automatically better than their previous set insofar as it's actually a coherent uniform set — no gold on some uniforms and not on others, no weird color mismatches, script styles, treatments, etc., between uniforms. I also really like the single-color lettering on a navy jersey, given that the "TC" logo isn't outlined (I always thought it was awkward to have single-color treatment on the hat, then outlined on the jersey).

I'm a big fan of the road pinstripes and think the road jersey is pretty solid, but for the most part do think this feels a little unfinished (which just seems like modern jersey trends at this point). I think the color balance on the home jersey is a little off, where red is presented as the dominant color on the home jersey on its own. The whole thing is fine, mostly.

• Like 4

6fQjS3M.png

Turns out, thanks to the article on the mothership, that Minnie and Paul aren't quite dead, just being put in the home. While they won't be featured on any uniform elements, they will remain at the Target Field scoreboard. If this is correct, they are presumably gonna modify the wordmark as the one on the Target Field scoreboard has the old Twins wordmark. They are doing renovations currently this offseason, so that is probably apart of that.

• Like 1

da0Lbhs.png

It's strange that they used the old Twins font for pretty much everything except the updated Twins wordmark. Overall I'd vastly prefer if the wordmarks and numbers had outlines but still fairly solid, especially the road.

Also, completely unrelated to the actual uniforms, but I can't be the only one that this thread is freaking out with, right? Every page is duplicated, for a new one you have to go 2 ahead.

ExJworW.png

Just now, Magic Dynasty said:

It's strange that they used the old Twins font for pretty much everything except the updated Twins wordmark. Overall I'd still vastly prefer if the wordmarks and numbers had outlines but still fairly solid, especially the road.

Also, completely unrelated to the actual uniforms, but I can't be the only one that this thread is freaking out with, right? Every page is duplicated, for a new one you have to go 2 ahead.

I think that has to do with the thread separation and moving all the posts over, as we were originally in the MLB 2023 Changes thread.

• Like 1

da0Lbhs.png

Minnesota-Twins-New-2023-Cream-ALTERNATE-Twin-Cities-Uniform-Photos-sportslogosnet-1000x1000-graphic.jpg

Looking at those flags . . . Minny and PAul should have been left alone instead of this plain looking shirt. I'm getting a 1919 vibe from the whole design.

Minnesota-Twins-New-Uniforms-2023-all-jerseys-sportslogosnet-feat-905590.jpg

Overall, they made the move to separate themselves from the Guardians and it works. But now that home shirt reminds me more of the movie Major League than they do the Minnesota Twins. Single color numbers are better looking than I'd expect. The custom font helps with that. I like the M star caps as well. The whole set is an improvement. But I feel like there will be too many times that they'll overuse that blue jersey.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 minutes ago, namefornamesake said:

Look at the roundel.

spacer.pngspacer.png

good catch. 

Also they used the same or a similar font to the Mariners alternate jerseys and the North Star logo with the M is kind of Mariners for me as well - but as a Twins fan i see this as an absolute upgrade.

That will be abandoned in 10 years for another round of throwbacks to the 87-00s mashup.  

But I really mostly like it, and i'm usually a hater of pinstripes not on the yankees.  I'm glad they kept if off the homes. They already own us, we don't need to also look like them.  

Expect Minne and Paul on the City Connect jerseys next year.  Just a guess 

Edited by tajmccall
added bit about minnie and paul
  • Like 1

Just returned home from the Mall of America unveiling and wow there were a lot of folks there! It was awesome seeing everyone energized about the Twins, especially considering how the season ended. Were any other CCSLC-ers at the event?!

I love most aspects of the rebrand, though I'm not super fond of the new "M" logo. As soon as they unveiled it, a guy next to me remarked it looks like the old Marlins mark, which many here have pointed out too. Losing Minnie & Paul also sucks, but I do like the new crossed flags logo. Overall, an upgrade imo

• Like 8
sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

I'm a big fan of simplicity, but the single-layer treatment here is making me think a lot about what Nike has done with some NBA designs, notably the Jazz and Cavs. There's a sort-of oversimplification trend in play that seems to take it just a step or two too far.

In fact, these uniforms look fine on the players, but much cheaper when displayed for sale online. By contrast, the cleaner, simpler brand marks make for much more stylish casual apparel.

I'm sure this is part of the strategy.  The unveiling wasn't just about the uniforms, but they also showcased examples of the full apparel line on regular people. There's a top-line revenue growth plan at play here. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

Just returned home from the Mall of America unveiling and wow there were a lot of folks there! It was awesome seeing everyone energized about the Twins, especially considering how the season ended. Were any other CCSLC-ers at the event?!

I love most aspects of the rebrand, though I'm not super fond of the new "M" logo. As soon as they unveiled it, a guy next to me remarked it looks like the old Marlins mark, which many here have pointed out too. Losing Minnie & Paul also sucks, but I do like the new crossed flags logo. Overall, an upgrade imo

I almost went, but I'm in college and had class right before so it would have been a tight turnaround.

• Like 1

da0Lbhs.png

This has been a thoughtful and unencumbered re-think, and for that I am grateful.

Happy: Clean and cohesive. A good balance of retaining historical elements and cleaning up assets.

Sad: Cream is barely distinguishable from white. The darkening of the navy (I didn't think you could GET darker than 289 without just being black. The league doesn't really need another Tigers/Yankees dark navy team). M-Star cap is rather forgettable.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty obvious here that they had multiple iterations and at some point decided on the number font that matches the old wordmark, then went back and forth and picked the new script font, without realizing those two things are now disconnected. Really bizarre oversight to me. 

But, looking past that, I love everything else. 

• Like 4