NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

Good lord, am I old. I remember when the Lions were using that logo.  Anyway, I really like the helmet, but I have to think that anyone younger than I am or anyone outside of this community has no idea what the logo is supposed to be. Still a great looking helmet that is going to be wasted on a :censored: uniform. If this is a preview of the upcoming rebrand, this helmet would be a fine choice as the new primary.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

Just now, HOOVER said:

Also, this feels like what the Saints did last year:  replaced their perfectly acceptable normal helmet worn with their alt uniform with something worse.

I don’t think anyone liked the silver helmet with the gray jersey, which is opposite of the Saints’ pre-2022 quasi-throwback look. 

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I mentioned a page or so back that its been mentioned here in Detroit that this helmet was designed with next year’s rebrand in mind. 

Let the wreckless speculation begin.  

Can't win on the field so all they do is rebrand.

Which franchise rebrands more at this point, the Lions or Jaguars? Detroit should have more respect for itself.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I don’t think anyone liked the silver helmet with the gray jersey, which is opposite of the Saints’ pre-2022 quasi-throwback look. 

I didn’t think it was horrible, at least the striping matched the uniform.

My point is, I don’t feel this is an upgrade.

The helmet shell/finish is surprisingly sharp, especially in natural light:

bzbpcoqzwl1tjk5ho7c0.jpg

However, I really question the goal of rushing this alternate helmet out now (vs waiting for next year) and pairing it with such an ugly uniform... If they had to unveil the helmet this year,  it would have made far more sense to unveil the helmet shell for 1954 throwbacks (which would have made sense considering that the team is celebrating their 90th anniversary this season) and then add a decal to the helmet next year should they choose to.

9378917714_d9e70f5147_c.jpg

...because this is perhaps the ugliest uniform  combination in football:

elk4gqnrqrhqmzdt7bkq.jpg

• Like 11

Someone’s gotta say it. This helmet makes me want an all Honolulu Blue look - head to toe. And yes to a Blue/White/Blue road look

I get the nostalgia behind it but IMO, the helmet might look better with the anorexic Food Lion by itself, without the racing stripes.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3
  • Facepalm 1
NYCdog.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Former Michigan Football Star Aidan Hutchinson Models New Detroit Lions  Helmet - Sports Illustrated Michigan Wolverines News, Analysis and More

If they paired this with blue pants, it would be a decent uniform. With all grey, it's just not as good a look as that helmet deserves. 

...I thought this too, but then I remembered that the blue pants have silver stripes and those wouldn't match the dark grey jersey either, lol

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Can't win on the field so all they do is rebrand.

Which franchise rebrands more at this point, the Lions or Jaguars? Detroit should have more respect for itself.

Simmer down, it’s an alternate helmet using a vintage logo.  Last I checked, all the cool kids were doing it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

Simmer down, it’s an alternate helmet using a vintage logo.  Last I checked, all the cool kids were doing it. 

I was speaking to the post I quoted that said Detroit is rebranding (once again) next season.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

44 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Just doesn’t feel like the Detroit Lions.

Maybe it’ll grow on me, but I don’t like it.

Also, we would never have needed a Blue helmet if we didn’t have a Grey jersey.  This is the slippery slope many have warned about.

They need to stop messing around with black and grey alts and alt helmets and just make a set based on the Barry Sanders era unis. And leave the current lion alone.  Yes I'm biased, but I think it's one of the best in the NFL. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

sig.png

It's a nice enough helmet. I just don't get it. Like @GFB said, with new unifirms coming next year, it seems dumb to rush it out this year. I also absolutely hate the gray uniforms, and this helmet doesn't look particularly great with them.

I'm glad I'll be seeing the Lions play on the road this year, so I hopefully won't have to see the gray uniforms.

• Like 4

I don't mind the helmet itself in a vacuum. I'm just continually disappointed in the Lions. The Bears and Packers have demonstrated a noble restraint in the face of radical redesigns in the NFL, and even the Vikings recognized chasing modernity doesn't fit them or their division. 

The Lions looked incredible until the 2000s. Now they look like Malibu Stacey with a new hat year after year.

• Like 5