NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, GFB said:

This is perhaps the ugliest uniform  combination in football:

elk4gqnrqrhqmzdt7bkq.jpg

And yet, surprisingly, not as ugly as the one its replacing.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, NYCdog said:

Someone’s gotta say it. This helmet makes me want an all Honolulu Blue look - head to toe. And yes to a Blue/White/Blue road look

Actually, no one had to say it. Honestly.

• Like 9
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, Shumway said:

Schedule for the new helmets. Hopefully this means only 2 games with poopy gray uniforms.

One plus of this is it hopefully means they will not be wearing gray on thanksgiving and will hopefully be wearing the throwbacks. The last two years they waited until the final home game to wear them and since the Vikings is the final home game we know they aren't wearing it then.

23 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Lions are one of three clubs with full time jersey tributes:

Chicago Bears - GSH - George Stanley Halas, franchise founder, co-founder of the NFL

Kansas City Chiefs - AFL/LH - Lamar Hunt, franchise founder, co-founder of the AFL

Detroit Lions - WCF - William Clay Ford, became sole owner in 1963. 

That has to go. It's been 9 years. 

• Like 3

sig.png

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't mind the helmet itself in a vacuum. I'm just continually disappointed in the Lions. The Bears and Packers have demonstrated a noble restraint in the face of radical redesigns in the NFL, and even the Vikings recognized chasing modernity doesn't fit them or their division. 

The Lions looked incredible until the 2000s. Now they look like Malibu Stacey with a new hat year after year.

Buddy you don't know the half of it lol. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Sad 2

sig.png

47 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Lions are one of three clubs with full time jersey tributes:

Chicago Bears - GSH - George Stanley Halas, franchise founder, co-founder of the NFL

Kansas City Chiefs - AFL/LH - Lamar Hunt, franchise founder, co-founder of the AFL

Detroit Lions - WCF - William Clay Ford, became sole owner in 1963. 

(sing it with me)

One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong.

• Like 8

It's where I sit.

36 minutes ago, bowld said:

Imagine this helmet with white jersey and blue pants, in a 1PM sunny game @ SF. 

😍

The love the helmet!    I hate gray anywhere but baseball roads.    Matte gray does not evoke silver.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't mind the helmet itself in a vacuum. I'm just continually disappointed in the Lions. The Bears and Packers have demonstrated a noble restraint in the face of radical redesigns in the NFL, and even the Vikings recognized chasing modernity doesn't fit them or their division. 

The Lions looked incredible until the 2000s. Now they look like Malibu Stacey with a new hat year after year.

Let's interrogate that for a minute.

Here's the Lions home uniform in 2002. Now let's see what changes were made:

james-stewart.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&

2003 - Black added as additional outlining to the jersey numbers, helmet/pants stripes, and helmet logo. Outermost stripes on the sleeves changed from silver/white to black. Facemask color becomes black. That's not a lot of change. It's one of the smallest BFBS designs we saw in that era.

0-season-FDETL-2003.jpg

2009 - Numbers become custom. Lion logo gets additional detail. Northwestern stripes on the sleeve are simplified by filing blue stripe with white. Helmet and pant stripes switch to Ohio State style. This is the biggest change and it's after 7 seasons with the black tacked on.  They didn't even add more black to the uniform.

Matthew-Stafford-Calvin-Johnson-v-Dallas

2017 - Black details on the helmet/pants become blue. Facemask becomes silver. Northwestern Stripes become mono color. Jersey numbers become grey on grey. This is a simplification and reversal of the BFBS trend. Changed after 8 seasons. 2023 will be the 7th season of this iteration.

Jared_Goff_2022.jpg

I don't think the Lions have been chasing fads, aside from the initial BFBS idea. I'd further add that over the three looks from this century, the one that most closely resembles the 90's era is the one I like the least.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Let's interrogate that for a minute.

Here's the Lions home uniform in 2002. Now let's see what changes were made:

james-stewart.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&

2003 - Black added as additional outlining to the jersey numbers, helmet/pants stripes, and helmet logo. Outermost stripes on the sleeves changed from silver/white to black. Facemask color becomes black. That's not a lot of change. It's one of the smallest BFBS designs we saw in that era.

0-season-FDETL-2003.jpg

2009 - Numbers become custom. Lion logo gets additional detail. Northwestern stripes on the sleeve are simplified by filing blue stripe with white. Helmet and pant stripes switch to Ohio State style. This is the biggest change and it's after 7 seasons with the black tacked on.  They didn't even add more black to the uniform.

Matthew-Stafford-Calvin-Johnson-v-Dallas

2017 - Black details on the helmet/pants become blue. Facemask becomes silver. Northwestern Stripes become mono color. Jersey numbers become grey on grey. This is a simplification and reversal of the BFBS trend. Changed after 8 seasons. 2023 will be the 7th season of this iteration.

Jared_Goff_2022.jpg

I don't think the Lions have been chasing fads, aside from the initial BFBS idea. I'd further add that over the three looks from this century, the one that most closely resembles the 90's era is the one I like the least.

You missed a fad that they chased. The facemask changed from black to chrome.

Contrast this with changes made by most other teams, and it's a lot in terms of number of changes. This gets at the 'year after year' statement, which I agree with.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

12 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You missed a fad that they chased. The facemask changed from black to chrome.

Contrast this with changes made by most other teams, and it's a lot in terms of number of changes. This gets at the 'year after year' statement, which I agree with.

To be fair it’s more silver than shiny chrome, to match the shell. Falcons and Cardinals also introduced silver masks after the Lions. The Rams should have done a metallic mask instead of regular blue. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Exhibit #1000000000 of teams choosing the absolute dumbest games to wear alternate uniforms.

• Wearing all grey uniform vs a predominantly silver team/uniform, but hey! blue helmet!

• Wearing it against a division rival. Classic rivalries need, at least as close to, classic uniforms

FzKP-VFWAAMKB8h?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3