NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

20 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

This is Breaking Away erasure!

Breaking Away is right up there with Airborne as greatest ever townie vs outside movies with a big race at the end.

Breaking Away is also the greatest-ever cycling movie (though I've never seen American Flyers).

What a movie!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, henburg said:

I think it would be better for Washington to stick with Commanders at this point, feels like a really big ask to get the public to remember and commit to a new nickname for the 3rd time.

Some people ain't even committed to remembering that nickname now...what's a third time gonna harm 'em? 😄

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Washington F.C.

60uwb9.jpg?a469392

🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

"Pigskins" is the type of name that a single-A baseball team would use for a promotional night. It's unbecoming of an NFL franchise.

THANK YOU.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

41 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

I never had an issue with Washington Football Team, and I actually liked it because it was one the nose (of course they’re a football team) and I think it was a different in terms of North American sports naming conventions and it felt unique and different. The uniforms maybe should’ve had a shift due to three looking the same as the prior name, but I was fine with the numbers on helmets, and the consistency of the look.

I think the uniforms basically looking the same is a good thing IMO. And the helmet numbers added diverging new. 

They obviously can’t go back to the original identity and WFT is the next-best thing.

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

"Pigskins" is the type of name that a single-A baseball team would use for a promotional night. It's unbecoming of an NFL franchise. 

I'm still confused about this take. It's old-timey enough to seem like a name that's been used for a century, combines the team's mascot with the inoffensive portion of their old nickname, and presents a lot more branding opportunities than names like the Packers, Steelers, or Browns.

I don't see how that's comparable to names like Sauerkraut Balls or Flying Chanclas.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm still confused about this take. It's old-timey enough to seem like a name that's been used for a century, combines the team's mascot with the inoffensive portion of their old nickname, and presents a lot more branding opportunities than names like the Packers, Steelers, or Browns.

I don't see how that's comparable to names like Sauerkraut Balls or Flying Chanclas.

I have long held this exact opinion. It could have played out almost exactly like it did in Cleveland with the Guardians. "Shift" the name but it still rings a bell for that franchises history since they sound similar. "Shift" the uniforms to the new name but keep your identity. 

Also I have posted this a few times back when they first came out with the Commanders branding, but I think the throwback below were absolutely fantastic out of Washington. If I were in charge of the rebrand, this would have been my basis for the rebrand - sans the old logos. This set and the name Pigskins would have worked really well IMO

In case you were wondering how fast a football can be thrown by a human  being | For The Win

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 2

20 hours ago, natodesigns said:

Posted this on BigFooty yesterday but thought I'd share it here too. This kit would look unreal with the current colour scheme (Just squint your eyes and pretend its the current Seahawks logo on the shoulder and helmet lol)

spacer.png

This would be a great alternate to replace the Action Green, or as you said, their next full-time uniform. 

If they wanted, they could VERY subtly tie in the feather pattern from the current set with this new one, using a tonal pattern within the middle Navy pant stripe and behind the Seahawk logo & sleeve stripe  on the cap sleeve, just to give it a slight update and not completely abandon that trademark pattern.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, AnPheitseog said:

Burn. Everything

Get rid of name, burgandy and gold. Everything.

Salt the earth baby and make it a new team.

I think this is the best way forward.  There's the lingering R**skins identity that just complicates things as people hold on to the team's rich history, and then you throw "Snyder Legacy" on top...it's just a mess.  A reset is in order.

Here's a thought:  Tennessee relents and lets Houston change franchise colors to Love Ya Blue, which they pair with Red & Black (instead of White).  Washington, DC then assumes a Red/White/Navy Blue identity.  Keeping Commanders, at that point, wouldn't be as bad, though a name change would still be best...but it would rule out anything along the lines of Hogs, Redwings, etc. and create a fresh start.

Yes, that puts multiple Red/White/Blue or Navy teams in the Northeast, but it just makes sense for the team in our nation's capitol to wear the colors of our country's flag.  It also aligns them with the Nationals & Capitols ala Pittsburgh with the Pirates, Penguins, and Steelers.

Criticism that it would be redundant given the New England Patriots identity is valid, but if you're going to reboot, it still makes the most sense.

• Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 2

I'm not sure why anybody would advocate for a uniform that combines the throwback template with the current colors.  IMO, the current colors are pretty bad. That dull navy blue and that ugly slime green?  No thanks.  And the throwback colors are the best thing about the older uniforms. Royal blue and kelly green are gorgeous together.   The colors are the best thing about the throwback.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I completely understand where @Lights Out was coming from with this take. I'm not sure I'd equate "Pigskins" with the silliness of minor league baseball names, but there's still something unsophisticated about it that makes it feel ill-fitting with the NFL. And it's not a whimsical, tongue-in-cheek sort of thing; it just feels campy.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure why anybody would advocate for a uniform that combines the throwback template with the current colors.  IMO, the current colors are pretty bad. That dull navy blue and that ugly slime green?  No thanks.  And the throwback colors are the best thing about the older uniforms. Royal blue and kelly green are gorgeous together.   The colors are the best thing about the throwback.

I made that graphic. In my initial post, I had suggested royal as the primary and navy as an alternate, because I also prefer the throwback colors. However, I think navy has a place moving forward with the team given their Super Bowl runs in that color scheme. A navy alt would be better than a black or green alternate in my eyes. Or worse, a ‘throwback’ to the current set. Just my opinion.

• Like 3

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

9 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

Commanders immediately getting the shorthand nickname ‘Commies’ was kinda funny for a team in DC. Surely someone saw that coming, right? Guessing Snyder didn’t care.

Throw in the red/yellow color scheme and the cheap looking rebrand and yeah, the jokes just write themselves.

• Like 5

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

18 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

I made that graphic. In my initial post, I had suggested royal as the primary and navy as an alternate, because I also prefer the throwback colors. However, I think navy has a place moving forward with the team given their Super Bowl runs in that color scheme. A navy alt would be better than a black or green alternate in my eyes. Or worse, a ‘throwback’ to the current set. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I remembered that you liked the throwback colors, I was just reacting to others coming in to say the new colors worked.  Surprised me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I never had an issue with Washington Football Team, and I actually liked it because it was one the nose (of course they’re a football team) and I think it was a different in terms of North American sports naming conventions and it felt unique and different. The uniforms maybe should’ve had a shift due to three looking the same as the prior name, but I was fine with the numbers on helmets, and the consistency of the look.

A two-toned helmet was also unique. Unique does not equal good.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.