2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

I wouldn't miss the Texans if they did a HornetsPelicans with the Oilers, but I'd miss the logo. The Texans are the Wild of the NFL - A fantastic logo saves the awful name. The uniforms are nothing to get excited about, but they're not terrible either, which counts for something now. I'd even go as far to say that they wear a handsome look and it's kind of immune to combination :censored:ery. They look good more often than they don't and if they were given to the league office to redesign I can only imagine what Titans-like BS we'd get - I'm picturing a Texas flag that covers both shoulders and stars down the pants leg. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

Count me as one who would miss the Texans. I wasn't around for the Oilers (not even the Tennessee Oilers) so I have no attachment to them aside from "nice throwback" and the current Texans look is one of my favorites in the league. Textbook definition of a modern classic IMO. The logo is great, the uniforms are great, the colors are basic but work well, etc. I'm so disappointed that they're changing things up next year, they should look exactly like they do now (with the exception of bringing back red socks when they wear navy pants) for eternity.

• Like 5

ExJworW.png

34 minutes ago, Sport said:

I wouldn't miss the Texans if they did a HornetsPelicans with the Oilers, but I'd miss the logo. The Texans are the Wild of the NFL - A fantastic logo saves the awful name. The uniforms are nothing to get excited about, but they're not terrible either, which counts for something now. I'd even go on to say that they wear a handsome look and is kind of immune to combination :censored:ery. They look good more often than they don't and if they were given to the league office to redesign I can only imagine what Titans-like BS we'd get - I'm picturing a Texas flag that covers both shoulders and stars down the pants leg. 

Houston Texans is a great name for a football team. Only slightly behind Dallas Texans

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Not to kickstart an "intellectual dishonesty"/Browns & Ravens debate, but a hypothetical: If the impossible came to pass and the city of Houston/Texans ownership got a hold of the Oilers IP, would anyone miss the Texans or their identity if the NFL/Texans did an NBA-Bobcats/Hornets switch, in which the Oilers history ends in 1996, and restarts in 2002 (or even go farther and just say the Texas were a separate team that ceased to exist)? I'm not arguing the practicality of the situation (as I don't think it's practical or that it would ever happen). But if it did, would anyone miss the Houston Texans beyond "Their logo was pretty clever"? Forgettable color scheme, forgettable uniforms, only four double-digit-win seasons, never made it past the divisional round of the playoffs. I guess it's been so long now that there's a generation of football fans who grew up only knowing the Texans, so maybe? I guess it would depend on how long this hypothetical would take to play out. But while the Texans identity is OK, it's just that: OK. The Oilers brand was/is much stronger and more recognizable.

Anyway, this post made me think. Mods, if this is appropriate elsewhere, please move it.

I don't think the Texans uniforms are forgettable. The custom font is one of the better ones that came out of the early 2000's, the jersey stripes are simple and modern and the combinations work really well, including the "Battle Red" stuff.

Houston should remember the example of the team that left, sometimes you do get it right the first time. It's been pointed out every time the rumored uniform change is brought up but just wait until these uniforms are gone.

Were the Oilers IP be transferred, I think there'd be at least a fauxback. The Charlotte Bobcats never quite created a visual identity that lasted or stuck which isn't true for the Texans. I do think there's some appreciation for the Texans IP.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sport said:

They look good more often than they don't and if they were given to the league office to redesign I can only imagine what Titans-like BS we'd get - I'm picturing a Texas flag that covers both shoulders and stars down the pants leg. 

I've warned everyone already: "horn devices"

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 hours ago, Cujo said:

Q: Do we know if the Dolphins changes shades of aqua between 93 and 94?

I believe they went from screenprinting to tackle twill in 1994, so that would explain the difference.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

12 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I don't think the Texans uniforms are forgettable. The custom font is one of the better ones that came out of the early 2000's, the jersey stripes are simple and modern and the combinations work really well, including the "Battle Red" stuff.

Houston should remember the example of the team that left, sometimes you do get it right the first time. It's been pointed out every time the rumored uniform change is brought up but just wait until these uniforms are gone.

Were the Oilers IP be transferred, I think there'd be at least a fauxback. The Charlotte Bobcats never quite created a visual identity that lasted or stuck which isn't true for the Texans. I do think there's some appreciation for the Texans IP.

The Texans' uniforms have existed for a long time, but have they really stuck? To me at least, they're just a visual representation of mediocrity. People look at them and think of David Carr getting sacked a million times, the Rosencopter, and blowing that 24-0 lead to the Chiefs, not any positive memories. The only thing that ever stood out were their red socks on the road and they got rid of those after 2008. Everything about their brand has always felt like a placeholder because they can't have the Oilers back, from the generic color scheme and name to the recolored USC template.

Comparing these uniforms to the Luv Ya Blues is crazy, they're not even in the same stratosphere. There's a reason why UH, Rice and the Rockets have all paid tribute to the Oilers but nobody will ever do the same for the Texans.

I think the Bobcats' inaugural uniforms and even their second uniform set had more character than anything the Texans have ever worn. They should have been the Apollos instead.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

15 hours ago, Sport said:

I wouldn't miss the Texans if they did a HornetsPelicans with the Oilers, but I'd miss the logo. The Texans are the Wild of the NFL - A fantastic logo saves the awful name. The uniforms are nothing to get excited about, but they're not terrible either, which counts for something now. I'd even go as far to say that they wear a handsome look and it's kind of immune to combination :censored:ery. They look good more often than they don't and if they were given to the league office to redesign I can only imagine what Titans-like BS we'd get - I'm picturing a Texas flag that covers both shoulders and stars down the pants leg. 

I think the Oilers colors are much better than the Texans. The logo is much better for the Texans. The names are a wash. Both are strong names IMO. The uniform template is better for the Texans, but look worse because of the colors

Honestly, even though I love the powder and red, it wouldn't look right on the Texans. The navy jerseys are bland and forgettable. The whites and reds pop and are pretty much perfect for them. If they swapped the red and navy jerseys (or just ditched the navy jerseys entirely), they'd have a perfect set to keep forever. So, of course, they will ruin it next year or whenever they're changing.

PS: You forgot the Kraken and the Golden Knights. It's actually crazy there are 3 NHL teams with great logos with horrendous names.

• Like 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

I'd be careful if I were the Texans. Last time they got involved with horn devices, Deshaun Watson ended up on the Browns.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

There's a reason why UH, Rice and the Rockets have all paid tribute to the Oilers but nobody will ever do the same for the Texans.

That reason is the Oilers are gone and the Texans aren't. Flip the order - Texans are the original team that left, Oilers replaced them - and those teams would be paying tribute to the Texans.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

18 minutes ago, PrimalCookie said:

That reason is the Oilers are gone and the Texans aren't. Flip the order - Texans are the original team that left, Oilers replaced them - and those teams would be paying tribute to the Texans.

Eh, they might think the Oilers identity blows the Texans identity out of the water, and remember that the Texans won nothing so who really cares about them.

• Like 2