2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

This whole situation is very bizarre. The Twitter rumors appear to be farfetched based on what's actually been reported so far, but I also find it hard to believe that his health is the reason why he quit either. The Bears surely would have announced that themselves and wished him well. Instead there was a circus of a press conference followed by a resignation letter that wasn't even on the team's letterhead. So either the Bears' PR department is even more inept than their play on the field, or there has to be more to this story.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

6 hours ago, Lights Out said:

So either the Bears' PR department is even more inept than their play on the field

✅

The Bears have, especially in recent years, been Not Great at PR basics. They don’t handle the unexpected well at all. 

As far as the Williams stuff goes, as of now it’s an addition by subtraction.  Eberflus calling the defense could mean he’ll be too occupied to push dumbass strategies on the offense, which is already run by a Rodgers beneficiary, so I dunno.  This whole mess is just another in the long miserable tenure of Bears fandom. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

For all the sturm und drang about the Bears in my lifetime, for the most part they've just been mediocre or had a really bad season in between less bad ones--all things Bears are always just at such a fever pitch that everything seems better or worse than it really is. It's only now that I think the Bears have truly reached the depths of Really Bad Teams, where they cannot do anything right at any level. They're in that Lions-Browns-Raiders tier of pervasive organizational incompetence that even the Lions and Browns are slowly leaving behind.

For most teams, a coordinator abruptly resigning under mysterious circumstances and the quarterback telling the media "I don't like being coached, I think I should just get to hang out and do whatever" would be a really bad season. For the Bears, it was a really bad day. There are 15 more weeks of this.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Chicago deserves the QB jersey meme more than the modern Cleveland Browns.

I think the Bears had it first -- I remember the names of Henry Burris and Craig Krenzel scrolling on the screen whenever they played the Packers and their one or two quarterbacks in the same time. The Browns stole it when they solidified their place among Really Bad Teams, those thieving magpies.

There seems to be some disagreement as to whether the feds raided Alan Williams's house. As another Bears coaching luminary would say, it's not his raid, but he's in that raid.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

30 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think the Bears had it first -- I remember the names of Henry Burris and Craig Krenzel scrolling on the screen whenever they played the Packers and their one or two quarterbacks in the same time. The Browns stole it when they solidified their place among Really Bad Teams, those thieving magpies.

Put some respect on the name of arguably the CFL's GOAT.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Chicago deserves the QB jersey meme more than the modern Cleveland Browns.

Just for reference, in my first 26 years as a Browns fan, the team had six starting QBs.

Bill Nelsen 69-71

Mike Phipps 72-74

Brian Sipe 75-83

Paul McDonald 84

Bernie Kosar 85-93

Vinnie Testaverde 94-95

I'd be willing to bet that there was at least one season between 1999 and today when the Browns started six different QBs in a 16 game season. Maybe more than one.

55 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Bears definitely had it first. These are Bears QBs I remember off the top of my head and I'm not even a Bears fan.

Jack Concannon

Bobby Douglas

Bob Avellini

Mike Phipps (You're welcome)

Vince Evans

Jim McMahon (Still the best Bears QB of the modern era)

Steve Fuller

Mike Tomczak

Steve Walsh

Erik Kramer

EDIT: How did I forget Doug Flutie?

I'm sure there have been a bunch more.

By the way,  the Bears are more than welcome to reclaim the QB jersey meme. Pretty sure the Browns are going to be rolling with the sexual predator guy for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Just for reference, in my first 26 years as a Browns fan, the team had six starting QBs.

Bill Nelsen 69-71

Mike Phipps 72-74

Brian Sipe 75-83

Paul McDonald 84

Bernie Kosar 85-93

Vinnie Testaverde 94-95

I'd be willing to bet that there was at least one season between 1999 and today when the Browns started six different QBs in a 16 game season. Maybe more than one.

The Bears definitely had it first. These are Bears QBs I remember off the top of my head and I'm not even a Bears fan.

Jack Concannon

Bobby Douglas

Bob Avellini

Mike Phipps (You're welcome)

Vince Evans

Jim McMahon (Still the best Bears QB of the modern era)

Steve Fuller

Mike Tomczak

Steve Walsh

Erik Kramer

EDIT: How did I forget Doug Flutie?

I'm sure there have been a bunch more.

By the way,  the Bears are more than welcome to reclaim the QB jersey meme. Pretty sure the Browns are going to be rolling with the sexual predator guy for the foreseeable future.

The first football game I remember watching was SBXX, so my Bears history  starts with Jim McMahon.  Besides your list, off the top of my head I have:

Jim Harbaugh comes to mind, but I only know about that from Tecmo Super Bowl.

Rex Grossman - proof that anyone can trip and fall into a Super Bowl appearance every decade or so.

The guy with the neck beard - can't remember his name.

Jay Cutler - straight up comical that they thought he was their guy, and then double-downed on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

The first football game I remember watching was SBXX, so my Bears history  starts with Jim McMahon.  Besides your list, off the top of my head I have:

Jim Harbaugh comes to mind, but I only know about that from Tecmo Super Bowl.

Rex Grossman - proof that anyone can trip and fall into a Super Bowl appearance every decade or so.

The guy with the neck beard - can't remember his name.

Jay Cutler - straight up comical that they thought he was their guy, and then double-downed on it.

Ye verily, to my everlasting suffering, I have seen the Bears trot out (and I'm probably forgetting some)

ABHORRENTLY AWFUL:

• Cade McNown
  • CFL legend Henry Burris
  • Jonathan Quinn
  • Craig Krenzel
  • Jimmy Clausen
  • Caleb Hanie
  • Todd Collins
  • Chad Hutchinson
  • Kordell Stewart
  • Mike Glennon
  • David Fales

FORGETTABLE:

• Shane Matthews
  • Chris Chandler
  • Brian Hoyer
  • Jason Campbell
  • Matt Barkley
  • Andy Dalton
  • Nick Foles
  • Nathan Peterman
  • Trevor Siemian
  • Brian Griese
  • Chase Daniel
  • Tyler Bray

DECENT I GUESS, AT LEAST BY BEARS LOW STANDARDS:

• Rex Grossman
  • Jay Cutler
  • Kyle Orton
  • Josh McCown
  • Mitch Trubisky
  • Jim Miller
  • Justin Fields (trending down)

GOOD:

•  

HALL OF FAME:

• Tyson Bagent

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Let us all please forget the game linked below, in which 6 players threw passes for the two teams, including 4 by Walter Payton because Mike Ditka had had enough of the QB position.  Randy Wright, Rich Campbell, Gerry Ellis and Bucky Scribner for GB, and Rusty Lisch(!) and Sweetness for the Bears.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198412090chi.htm

It's where I sit.