2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

Just now, ruttep said:

Just gotta hope that the 49ers figure out what was malfunctioning tonight and get back to their regular season form.

Deebo was out and the playcalling de-emphasized CMC to rely too heavily on Brock's arm. It seems like a simple enough fix, given some degree of introspection.

• Like 2

Shame for GB. They’ve been playing good football and had a real chance. Wouldn’t have been my first choice winner but winning in the first year after Rodgers would’ve been pretty funny. 

IUe6Hvh.png

7 minutes ago, BottomlessPitt said:

That 49ers d-line is a little leaky when it comes to stopping the run. 

This is the 49ers 19th appearance in the NFC Championship game. 7-11 record so far. 

4th of the last 5. I think having this one at home will be a significant help for us.

9 hours ago, BottomlessPitt said:

That 49ers d-line is a little leaky when it comes to stopping the run. 

This is the 49ers 19th appearance in the NFC Championship game. 7-11 record so far. 

And yet they hadn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 51 games. How is that a little leaky?

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

And yet they hadn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 51 games. How is that a little leaky?

Maybe because they're usually leading and forcing opposing offenses to pass more?  I certainly haven't watched a ton of 49ers games, but my hunch is that their run defense hasn't really been tested.

That being said, when you look at the talent on the line and LBs, they should be good when tested.  We'll (likely) see next week.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, BBTV said:

Greg Olsen is so good at this.  I think Brady will also be really good, but Olsen definitely doesn't deserve to be demoted.  If Brady actually follows through with his plan to broadcast next year, then FOX will have an outstanding B-team.  I think Kevin Burkhardt proved himself to be a A-team-caliber PBP guy too.  

I always liked Buck and Aikman, but now after listening to Olsen so much, I can't listen to an Aikman game without noticing how little he actually contributes.

I don't know how you feel about Romo, but I was recently talking to friends about how I think Olsen and Romo are similar in that they both seem so enthusiastic about watching the games in front them. From a layman's perspective, they both seem to know their stuff and provide some real insight, but they both also seem to be genuinely excited about what's happening on the field. Like you, I don't mind Buck and Aikman. But they also have a little more detached/aloof style; I don't know if that's because they've been doing it for so long and everything is just routine to them, or Aikman really isn't able to contribute as much as Olsen, et al.

All that to say I, too, have enjoyed the games that Olsen has been a part of calling.

• Like 1

Buck and Aikman have gotten a lot more fun since they moved to ESPN. It's like they got their money and then decided that they don't care anymore so they just let themselves be more loose. 

1 minute ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I don't know how you feel about Romo, but I was recently talking to friends about how I think Olsen and Romo are similar in that they both seem so enthusiastic about watching the games in front them. From a layman's perspective, they both seem to know their stuff and provide some real insight, but they both also seem to be genuinely excited about what's happening on the field. Like you, I don't mind Buck and Aikman. But they also have a little more detached/aloof style; I don't know if that's because they've been doing it for so long and everything is just routine to them, or Aikman really isn't able to contribute as much as Olsen, et al.

All that to say I, too, have enjoyed the games that Olsen has been a part of calling.

I can't stand Romo.  He's way over the top with his excitement level.  It's like Olsen on Red Bull and a hoarse voice,

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Expect more excited Romo if the Bills win today, he seems to do it all the time with the Bills lol

This is what every fan says about an announcer when the opponent has good players.

Guarantee Bills fans will say Romo's too excited about Patrick Mahomes because football fans are too soft to hear positive things about a player wearing a different shirt.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I used to absolutely love Tony Romo in the booth but over the last few years he's really gotten too cute with his attempts at comedy. Sometimes he still captures that 2017-19 magic but other times it's nauseating. I still think the insight he adds as a knowledgeable player is invaluable and he's absolutely a better color commentator than most, but I'm not as excited to hear him in the booth anymore. 

Greg Olson has all the excitement and insight that Romo has without any downsides. He and Kevin Burkhardt are an amazing duo in the booth, really hope Brady doesn't force them apart.

Joe Buck has completed his redemption arc in my eyes, after decades of being the dryest commentator imaginable, he's turned it around and found a way to be exciting. Crazy what a little enthusiasm for the game does for the viewing experience.

• Like 3

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

9 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

Joe Buck has completed his redemption arc in my eyes, after decades of being the dryest commentator imaginable, he's turned it around and found a way to be exciting. Crazy what a little enthusiasm for the game does for the viewing experience.

Most of Joe Buck's redemption arc comes from journalists' realization that he is a rich kid who went to private school and thinks everyone around him is an idiot. Most members of the sports media in the 2010s/20s are also rich kids who went to private school and think  everyone around them is an idiot.  In an alternate timeline, he's at Defector writing "Draymond Green Is A Big Dope Who Sucks Because He's A Big Dope Who Sucks."

• Like 1
  • Meh 1
  • Huh? 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

56 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

Greg Olson has all the excitement and insight that Romo has without any downsides. He and Kevin Burkhardt are an amazing duo in the booth, really hope Brady doesn't force them apart.

If Brady is expected to take over next season, wouldn't that mean he gets to do next year's Super Bowl in his first try?

I don't know why it will be on FOX again after they just hosted it last year. I would've expected next year to be NBC, but I guess they've been tweaking the network rotation.

Just now, Dynasty said:

I don't know why it will be on FOX again after they just hosted it last year. I would've expected next year to be NBC, but I guess they've been tweaking the network rotation.

NBC traded with CBS in 2022 so that there wouldn’t be a Super Bowl competing with the Winter Olympics.

Plus, the new rotation contract goes in effect this year with CBS starting off the rotation. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

2 hours ago, ruttep said:

Buck and Aikman have gotten a lot more fun since they moved to ESPN. It's like they got their money and then decided that they don't care anymore so they just let themselves be more loose. 

It doesn't hurt that Buck's workload has lessened since he moved to ESPN, as when he was on Fox, he also did baseball.

Did anyone else notice the clock kept running after that catch with ~11 minutes left in the 4th? Even though it seemed like a very obvious out-of-bounds to me? If one team runs out of time on a comeback drive at the game, that's going to be big.

Edit: From the NFL drive summary. Pushed out of bounds, but next play didn't start until 39 seconds later on the game clock.

UF2Sn7N.png