MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

13 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

According to the Washington Post:

Red curly W cap with the home script uniforms

Navy blue cap with red brim with the greys and navy blues\ uniforms

Capital W hat with the pullover

Another interesting tidbit from the Post: this will be the last year for the Nationals' current Cashgrab Connect set.

• Like 1

Marlins:

Black jersey: Good. What they should have done from day one.

Blue jersey: Fantastic.

Nationals:

Road jersey: hugeeeee downgrade. I like the trim, but that wordmark is bad and generic.

Pullover alt: Atrocious. I don't like anything about it.

• Like 7

The best the Nationals ever looked is this:

860724358.jpg.jpg

VTXNVVFLJZNM5EXFCIAE6P2GTA.jpg

That right there is a baseball uniform. It's a classic Tigers-level design that should have remained in place forever. The unique front number location on the home set made that dignified uniform very distinctive.

That look was satisfying particularly because the team had overcome a very bad initial look with the bevels. Every change since this point — including the use of the script wordmark at home — has been a downgrade. The new set drastically accelerates the downward trend.

• Like 9
  • Facepalm 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

38 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

According to the Washington Post:

Red curly W cap with the home script uniforms

Navy blue cap with red brim with the greys and navy blues\ uniforms

Capital W hat with the pullover

I give that a week before they go crazy with the hat/jersey combinations

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

23 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The best the Nationals ever looked is this:

I've got a take hotter than yours:

Screen-shot-2012-07-29-at-08.18.02--590x

Replace the "G" cap with an appropriate W design and you've got a better look than any design the Nationals have trotted out. Yes, even with the '30s/'40s-style shoulder-placket combo stripe.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've got a take hotter than yours:

Screen-shot-2012-07-29-at-08.18.02--590x

Replace the "G" cap with an appropriate W design and you've got a better look than any design the Nationals have trotted out. Yes, even with the '30s/'40s-style shoulder-placket combo stripe.

I like your version that goes with a double-gray. Makes it feel a bit less Yankees-like.

• Like 3

The Marlins should make the blue jersey their home.  When I toured Marlins Park two weeks ago I was saying to the guide that they should do exactly what they did to the blue jersey.  Now I know why I got the look I did.

• Like 2

I know I'm always a total wet blanket about the current Marlins' identity, but the changes made to the black jersey are lateral at best. They basically "upgraded" an illegible jersey by making it totally bland. It's literally a black and white jersey (with the tiniest amount of accenting), almost akin to something that the White Sox would wear.

Now I'm beginning to wonder: why does a black jersey even need to exist at all? They very comically touted their "colores" when they unveiled this misfire of a set back in 2018 and one of their four jerseys has practically no trace of their "Miami blue" and "caliente red."

If there is some new rule about limiting the number of jersey combinations, just get rid of the black jersey entirelyIt's never going to work. Just stick with the white, the grey, the blue, and a teal throwback Friday as your four. It sure seems like they aren't doing throwbacks this year, despite how wildly popular they were in 2023.

This f'n team, man.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, tp49 said:

The Marlins should make the blue jersey their home.  When I toured Marlins Park two weeks ago I was saying to the guide that they should do exactly what they did to the blue jersey.  Now I know why I got the look I did.

The blue jersey is honestly quite nice and definitely the best of the four. Much improved from the first iteration. I am glad they decided to go with the "Marlins" wordmark instead of the "Miami" one. The obsession with focusing on "Miami" for the brand identity always bothered me; this is something they started doing back in 2012.

On top of that, the "Marlins" wordmark also looks nicer than the "Miami" one does with the font style they selected.

But I will ask again: if they Marlins have a nice blue jersey in the rotation that people clearly wanted, why does a White Sox black & white alternate even need to exist at all?

• Like 1

Marlins updates look good. I still think their whole look could be improved upon, but they made upgradable moves.

I'm beyond disappointed by the Nationals. An uninspiring road script, plus an alternate that looks more like a polo shirt than what's supposed to be a pullover... what a mess of an identity they have now. As critical as I was of their 2011 set, at least that brand was largely consistent with all its elements. I already miss it.

• Like 3

Seeing the real life photos of the Marlins reinforces that the changes are a big step in the right direction, but man, could they definitely be better. Particularly the black.

spacer.png

In my opinion, I just don’t think they need red. It serves very little purpose in their color scheme. Clearly the emphasis is on black and blue. And the shade of blue is great. Pretty unique and distinctive. If done correctly, I think they could evoke the black and teal era but the blue would be more timeless and not reminiscent of a single decade in sports when everyone had the color.

spacer.png

The City Connect should be the basis for an update. That script is so much better! It’s also much simpler because it has a single contrasting color whereas the current script has two trim colors.

Imagine that design (with or without the pinstripes), but with a black base, white script, and that thick, vibrant blue drop shadow. The drop shadow would pop so much more than the new black jersey’s blue and red outlines. I could see a blue version with a white script and black drop shadow. And then white and gray with black scripts and blue drop shadows. The Marlins have long emphasized black and that would be a great way of continuing black while heavily showing off the blue because of that incredible script with the big drop shadow.

• Like 5

The new Washington pullover is fun, especially if it's going to be paired with the W caps they have worn at home the last few seasons. 

But I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH how BIZARRE AND UNFORGIVABLE that road uniform is 

I'm at a loss for words. Looks like something somebody who just decided they wanted to get into jersey design earlier today would have thought up and posted on the concept boards. 

Since this franchise moved to D.C. it has been incapable of sitting down and thoughtfully assessing its brand, it always feels like they have one foot in Door A and one in Door B, and with this change they stuck a toe in Door F. 

The entire brand is discombobulated, but at least previously the uniform pieces themselves looked really good. Nobody who should have the credentials to sign off on uniforms in pro sports should have given a thumbs up to that poor excuse of a road jersey. This makes the Utah Jazz neon rebrand look good. 

NOBODY is going to buy that off the shelves! 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Since this franchise moved to D.C. it has been incapable of sitting down and thoughtfully assessing its brand, it always feels like they have one foot in Door A and one in Door B, and with this change they stuck a toe in Door F.

IIRC, the reason for that is the designers for the reborn Nats had a full set of logos, script and wordmarks cooked up and which went all in with bevelling, but Bud Selig really wanted the team to use the W from the mark II Senators, basically pulling one foot out of door A and shoving it into door B.

• Like 5

Yes, I distinctly remember an interview where Selig said "well, personally, I'd like to see the Washington Senators, or Nats for short," and the curly W sort of became the interim logo, then stuck around. Then the mayor said they couldn't be the Senators because DC can't elect any. 

I'm also all but certain that the Nationals' script was originally blue with gold beveling and red trim to match the road script, because that logo existed on the mothership for a long time, plus a few weird spots here and there on the Nats' site, but not really anywhere else. They pretty clearly made it red to match the W hat, which was stupid.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫