MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

31 minutes ago, BC985 said:

Not only is that Cards hat a retread, it would look way better with a navy brim and squatchee 

I actually disagree there. The logo being primarily red would make it look like a solid red hat with navy bill and squatchee. Those contrasting elements look better when the logo is also (mostly) a contrasting color from the crown. The Angels former BP hats did that. Looked off. I actually really like this hat as is. I had one similar back in like 2000, only the all the yellow elements were white. It was back towards the end of when recolored hats were the craze.

Good (squatchee isn't navy on this particular picture of the white B, but it usually is):

Men's Boston Red Sox '47 Red No Shot Captain Snapback Hat01_9cd7c34f-2e32-483e-9fc2-666f2170bc65_1000x.jpg?v=1565386381

Questionable:

MLB-75-2.jpg

1 hour ago, McCall said:

I actually disagree there. The logo being primarily red would make it look like a solid red hat with navy bill and squatchee. Those contrasting elements look better when the logo is also (mostly) a contrasting color from the crown. The Angels former BP hats did that. Looked off. I actually really like this hat as is. I had one similar back in like 2000, only the all the yellow elements were white. It was back towards the end of when recolored hats were the craze.

Good (squatchee isn't navy on this particular picture of the white B, but it usually is):

Men's Boston Red Sox '47 Red No Shot Captain Snapback Hat01_9cd7c34f-2e32-483e-9fc2-666f2170bc65_1000x.jpg?v=1565386381

Questionable:

MLB-75-2.jpg

Agree to disagree I guess. I really like that Angels hat myself. I think the all red hat with a red cardinal is too much. Fortunately the Springfield Cardinals have a nice Saturday cap that is close to what I have in mind.

spacer.png

Wish companies would stop slapping liberty bells on every philadelphia product, wish the Phillies would drop it from they logo, and wish it wasn't (along with Rocky) an unofficial "logo" for the city in general.

I'll never use the term "lazy" to describe a design, but it's at best "un-imaginative" and cliche.  Maybe that's what the Phillies wanted, but I hate it.

Between these caps and the ones that use simply the 1992-2019 logo, really disappointed this year.  It's a shame, because there's a lot of good ones buried in each series we've seen so far.

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, BC985 said:

Agree to disagree I guess. I really like that Angels hat myself. I think the all red hat with a red cardinal is too much. Fortunately the Springfield Cardinals have a nice Saturday cap that is close to what I have in mind.

spacer.png

The 'S' is the dominant feature of the logo, so, IMO, it doesn't fall under the same category as the Cardinals and Angels.

SIDE NOTE: Man, I haven't been to Hammons Field since my last day working there, almost 14-1/2 years ago.

• Like 1

I... have... always been in the camp that finds the block W to be in the same camp I find the old and now new Yankees away gray.  Not retro, but archaic and far too simple for modern usage.

spacer.png

But the one used on the ST cap has enough weight and volume and texture that it is making me rethink the possibility.

2024-spring-training-caps-mlb-new-era-cubs-tigers-twins-nationals-sportslogosnet.jpg

I don't know if going to white or red and losing one of the outlines will cause it to look less impressive and it obviously isn't workable as is, but it does intrigue me for possible future application in future identities.

spacer.png

spacer.png

53 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

The Mothership with an exclusive look at the MLB Spring Traing hats.

Exclusive: New MLB 2024 Spring Training Caps by New Era Released

Article says that these are spring specific only and "we will see an entirely separate collection of new regular season B.P. cap designs for the 2024 season in the coming weeks"

I wonder if this means the every-other-year release of ST caps is going by the wayside and the yearly ones will be the way of the future.

….hopefully the BP caps have a little longer shelf life 

I’ll have to see the BP caps, but I’m a little disappointed by this move. Using the ST caps only for ST and a separate BP design means they don’t offer these without the patch. Not that the caps don’t look good (most do), but I always loved getting the ST caps without the patch. And when the low crown started becoming widely available, the low crown, no ST patch was my bread and butter. I really like the Braves look, but can’t see myself picking it up with the patch.

spacer.png

Love the brightness, perfect for spring training, but the Reds Yankees and Angels didn't actually read the memo of what these caps would be for?

Loving that purple for the Rockies! Man I want like a dozen of these lol.

Is this the greatest spring training cap reveal in history?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TBGKon said:

The Mothership with an exclusive look at the MLB Spring Traing hats.

Exclusive: New MLB 2024 Spring Training Caps by New Era Released

Article says that these are spring specific only and "we will see an entirely separate collection of new regular season B.P. cap designs for the 2024 season in the coming weeks"

Toronto takes us home with a nod to their original white-front panel caps but severely upgraded with a new powder blue visor and dark navy blue back panel; I could totally see this pairing with their “New Blue” regular season alternates someday.

Our dear leader thought this was dark navy blue??

Men's Toronto Blue Jays  New Era White/Powder Blue 2024 Spring Training Low Profile 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

• Huh? 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I am a big fan of the spring training hat designs this year. They aren't all perfect, but at least this is a good concept. Much better than the trucker hat gimmick and that hilariously bad "logo within a logo" concept they tried for a few years. That was "launch it into the sun" bad.

It's cool to see the Marlins with a blue hat. It's a nice change of pace from the mostly black/monochrome design aesthetic I associate with this set. However, the hat exposes some of the major design flaws with that logo, that have always bothered me.

Basically the "M" logo doesn't really work well with other backgrounds that are not black. This was the case with the "old" blue jersey, too. It utilizes those blue/red double outlines that required a white trim in order to place it upon a blue background. Seeing the blue, red, and white together creates a kind of awkward eyesore.

If you look at the other logos in this hat collection, you notice how so few of them have white trim. And the other ones that do (Atlanta, for example), are much easier on the eyes.

I appreciate the Marlins trying to upgrade this set and emphasize the color more, but it's really not worth saving IMO.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

Wish companies would stop slapping liberty bells on every philadelphia product, wish the Phillies would drop it from they logo, and wish it wasn't (along with Rocky) an unofficial "logo" for the city in general.

I'll never use the term "lazy" to describe a design, but it's at best "un-imaginative" and cliche.  Maybe that's what the Phillies wanted, but I hate it.

Between these caps and the ones that use simply the 1992-2019 logo, really disappointed this year.  It's a shame, because there's a lot of good ones buried in each series we've seen so far.

I just wish it had a blue bill & squatchee, which the one bell hat did but had the Phillies wordmark in the bell and looked dumb, they were so close.

I'll just continue to wear this. (I would love this just without the piping and blue bill & squatchee)

51Rqjopn6xL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

15 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

I just wish it had a blue bill & squatchee, which the one bell hat did but had the Phillies wordmark in the bell and looked dumb, they were so close.

I'll just continue to wear this. (I would love this just without the piping and blue bill & squatchee)

51Rqjopn6xL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

Any Phils cap without a contrasting squatchee is a no-go for me

• Like 2

I was both excited and disappointed by these new hats. I was excited to see the trucker hat is gone and actual sewn on stuff in the era of heat pressed. I like a lot of designs and colors. I was disappointed seeing some basically recycled hats (as mentioned a few posts above), using old logos that they don’t use currently (hey here’s a 90s oriole hat, but just for warmups) and as a fan of the rays and pirates, I rushed to see what was available. Why grab the gold pirate hat when I just got their CC hat last year? I also have their all yellow players weekend. The BP looks very forced version of the pillbox. Ok I’ll check the rays. Same situation their ST is almost identical to the players weekend. I didn’t get a chance to see their BP. 

KISSwall09.jpg

21 minutes ago, 1stAndPhoremost said:

Any Phils cap without a contrasting squatchee is a no-go for me

Phillies standard caps should have a white squatchee.  The day they were unveiled, young me thought it was a cool touch.  Now I think it looks childish.

I'm not sure if there's another example of a team who's squatchee doesn't tie into any other color on their cap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

certain terrible human being ruined red ball caps for me. 

For the Braves, I would actually like to see a cap that incorporates yellow into a tri-color. It could be as subtle as a yellow squatchee on a BP cap that is otherwise in the conventional navy blue base and red brim (maybe trim the brim with yellow too). 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 6