New Vikings Unforms *merged*

RickV

You think they would have switched a long time ago to distance themselves from the whole "We've lost 4 Super Bowls, plus a NFC Championship game at home when we were the most dominant team of the year".

But the Vikings wouldn't dare distance themselves from Bud Grant, the Purple People Eaters or Fran Tarkenton. They are all considered demigods here in the Upper Midwest.

You can look at them as losers of Super Bowls or you can look at them as a Vikings tradition of continuous winning.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< Why do so many people have a problem with the Falcons uniforms? Because of the sleeves? Because they actually dared to do something different? >>

Because they're hideous, sir. That new logo looks as if it's stumbling forward after a few too many cocktails.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

<< Why do so many people have a problem with the Falcons uniforms? Because of the sleeves? Because they actually dared to do something different? >>

Because they're hideous, sir. That new logo looks as if it's stumbling forward after a few too many cocktails.

Could you please explain that to me? How does a logo look like it's drunk? It's just tilted.

And what does the logo have to with the rest of the uniform?

The horn has to stay on the helmet. Vikings didn't wear horns on their biceps, they wore them on their head. That's whe whole point. I mean, sometimes a logo is just a design.

Actually, history has proven that the Vikings never did wear horned helms. The image of a Viking wearing a horned helm was believed to be created in the early 20th century by Viking enthusiasts after seeing an opera based on the Norse Volsung Saga. The chracters in the opera wore winged and horned helms.

If a man wore a horned helm into battle, it'd be 5 minutes before a a smart opponent broke his neck by hitting the horns with a weapon.

http://www.vikingage.com/vac/horns.html

That being said, it's part of the image of the Minnesota Vikings. If the Rams removed the Horns from their helmet, I'd be furious. I'd like to see the Vikes make the purple a little darker, maybe add some metal flake to the helm, and a very subtle yellow highlight to the horn. Modernize, don't ruin a good design.

This helmet was designed by Keith Laubhan. This a great modernization, IMO

vikingshelm.gif

You don't by chance have the rest of that concept, do you? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I can't seem to find it again either....

Again, this is designed by Keith Laubhan here on this board. I am certainly not trying to take credit for this design.

vikings3.gif

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

Thanks for finding that... I'm sure I have the native files archived somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I also did a version with some two-toned purple that was pretty interesting, too.

Hi guys,

When I found out my Vikings were redesigning their unis, I started scouring the net for designs, and I happened upon your forum. There are some nice concepts here, I especially like the Keith Laubhan design - I wouldn't complain if the Vikes went with it.

However, I think they're going in a different direction. This may or may not be a leak of the new design. It could be the home or the alternate, but since it has the Reebok logo and a current player's name (backup tight end), I think it has some credence. I found it posted here:

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=...r=asc&start=270

NewVikingJersey.jpg

What do you think?

That's a Steelers jersey Photoshopped.

That's what I thought, given the identical number font, but I've been hearing rumors that the gold would become more prominent than the purple, and that black is in the offing. If it is PS'd, it's very well done.

As for the design itself, show me the helmet, pants and socks before I pass judgement. I'm not a fan of "just add black" trend of uni design, but this is better than the black-with-purple-numbers jersey they've been selling to fans in recent years...

- Chris

Thanks for finding that... I'm sure I have the native files archived somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Avenger (Keith), that is one badass concept! I've never seen it before until today, but if I had my druthers I would want that to become reality. Good job, man.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Hi guys,

When I found out my Vikings were redesigning their unis, I started scouring the net for designs, and I happened upon your forum. There are some nice concepts here, I especially like the Keith Laubhan design - I wouldn't complain if the Vikes went with it.

However, I think they're going in a different direction. This may or may not be a leak of the new design. It could be the home or the alternate, but since it has the Reebok logo and a current player's name (backup tight end), I think it has some credence. I found it posted here:

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=...r=asc&start=270

NewVikingJersey.jpg

What do you think?

Purple pants with that? Yeesh...

mav23.gif

Purple pants with that? Yeesh...

It's not a real jersey...and they probably wouldn't wear purple pants with it even if it was the real thing...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Thanks for finding that... I'm sure I have the native files archived somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Avenger (Keith), that is one badass concept! I've never seen it before until today, but if I had my druthers I would want that to become reality. Good job, man.

Thanks, man.

Okay, so I was duped by a Steeler knockoff, but at last we have some real news on the Vikings' new uniforms, at the bottom of this article:

Wilf Defends Hutchinson Signing

The NFL apparently agrees, having tabbed the Vikings to open the season at Washington on Sept. 11 as the first half of a Monday night doubleheader on ESPN.

The Vikings will have a different look for that game, with the team expected to unveil new uniforms shortly, but Wilf promised the changes will be nothing major.

"I can say this: We're still the purple and gold," he said. "I don't think the changes take away from our traditional standards. I'll leave it up to the fans, but this is something we feel will give us a little more excitement."

[snip]

Wilf didn't want to get into specifics regarding the uniform changes, but he said the helmet has been subtly altered. "Same helmet, same horn," he said. "The horn is just accentuated a little to give it a three-dimensional look."

So there you have it - an update without drastic changes. I wonder what the alternate will be, if anything...

- Chris

Pantone where you at ? I know you got some hints for the boys on this don't you?

All I know has come from this very thread. No "inside" information or anything in regards to the Vikings.

I don't no nothin' 'bout no Vikings uniforms.

I mentioned this in the "Uni Watch Party" thread, but Tom O'Grady got his laptop out and showed us all some VERY interesting proposals for a certain NFL team. Proposals that were reviewed by the owner of said team. Not sure if these designs will ever make it to the field, but some of the aspects of them were pretty wild.

Apparently, Dan Snyder likes Black...

B)

Yikes!!!! I want the Spear!!!!! :shocked:

Hell no. This is what it would look like, IMO.

redskinsblack.gif

This looks awful.

Sorry if the pic is huge.

Hell no. This is what it would look like, IMO.

This looks awful.

Nope. None of the proposals Tom showed were even that conservative.

The ones he showed were completely over-the-top. Crazy sleeve patterns, lots of piping, a completely all-Black alternate (Black helmets, jerseys, pants, socks)...modified logos, wordmarks, alt logos, etc.

Completely nuts.

Okay, so I was duped by a Steeler knockoff, but at last we have some real news on the Vikings' new uniforms, at the bottom of this article:

Wilf Defends Hutchinson Signing

The NFL apparently agrees, having tabbed the Vikings to open the season at Washington on Sept. 11 as the first half of a Monday night doubleheader on ESPN.

The Vikings will have a different look for that game, with the team expected to unveil new uniforms shortly, but Wilf promised the changes will be nothing major.

"I can say this: We're still the purple and gold," he said. "I don't think the changes take away from our traditional standards. I'll leave it up to the fans, but this is something we feel will give us a little more excitement."

[snip]

Wilf didn't want to get into specifics regarding the uniform changes, but he said the helmet has been subtly altered. "Same helmet, same horn," he said. "The horn is just accentuated a little to give it a three-dimensional look."

So there you have it - an update without drastic changes. I wonder what the alternate will be, if anything...

- Chris

Sounds as if there might be a new color added into the mix...I'm still hoping for Silver:

MinnesotaVikings_PFC1_0000_SOL.jpg

That's great news from Wilf. I think I'd be disappointed to see any sort of major overhaul. Subtle tweaks and some modernization are what's in store for the Vikings. I'm also relieved to hear the horn on the helmet will stay, though I wasn't all that worried about it.

Hell no.  This is what it would look like, IMO.

This looks awful.

Nope. None of the proposals Tom showed were even that conservative.

The ones he showed were completely over-the-top. Crazy sleeve patterns, lots of piping, a completely all-Black alternate (Black helmets, jerseys, pants, socks)...modified logos, wordmarks, alt logos, etc.

Completely nuts.

So are they going with any of it?

Archived