Ugliest uniform ever?

Sodboy13

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... These updates, while not always successful, mark an evolution that has broken the typical design patterns that had repeated themselves to the point of boredom. ...

Sorry, had to bold that piece of the last response, since it struck a chord with me. Need we look at how many colleges and high schools adopted the Broncos striping style after its inception? Perhaps, even to the point of boredom?

I'm all for uniform design evolving. It all needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis. Not every design from the 50s deserves a rehash. Not every design element emanating from the current decade needs to be considered over-designed superfluous fluff.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Well, dude, mayhaps the problem here is your presupposition that the age of side stripes and piping is a bad thing. Your broad-brush condemnation of newer designs is by no means a universal, as you and your bretheren seem to purport by casting aside the likes of Cincy, Minnesota, et al as some sort of abomination. These updates, while not always successful, mark an evolution that has broken the typical design patterns that had repeated themselves to the point of boredom. Suggesting this development was something bad simply highlights the tendency of some to cling blindly to old paradigms in design simply because "that's how we've always done it."

This is how design, across every platform, moves forward.

Well, that's certainly one way to study for the SAT.

Anyway, just to repeat what others said, things don't have to be old to be good, nor new to be bad. I was simply pointing out Denver as a catalyst for whole lot of ugly uniforms out there. That's the point.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I like how every single one of the hockey jerseys he posted pictures to are linked from my photobucket account. I feel violated. :blink:

Wear it like a badge of honour, spyboy! He found screencaps I had made and saved them to his photbucket site, but then I sent him pics to use and he gave me full credit when he ran the pics of...

...the obligatory Portland Winter Hawks "exploding chicken" 25th Anniversary jersey.

mitchellfront.gif

After seeing other unis in this thread, the exploding chicken looks tame now. B)

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Gotta say the New Year's Tuxedo-Jersey-Shirt has no place on this list. That thing is beautiful.

I'm sorta staying out of the Broncos thing though...I can see both sides. However, I do think we have to go on in-a-vacuum looks, without including what it launched. We don't hate the NHL's Mighty Ducks' first few alts and company because they were among the first NHL thirds, leading the way for some crap (and some class)...we hate them because they are simply hideous.

Just because the Broncos' look was one of the first in the new wave of unis shouldn't affect how we view the uni itself, IMO. Even the nominator admits it's not horrible on its own. My take on it.

Also, that graphic story about the dye in a jumper killing a man? That's impressive. Dunno if it qualifies as an ugly jersey on that merit...but that's gotta take some category somewhere.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Well, dude, mayhaps the problem here is your presupposition that the age of side stripes and piping is a bad thing. Your broad-brush condemnation of newer designs is by no means a universal, as you and your bretheren seem to purport by casting aside the likes of Cincy, Minnesota, et al as some sort of abomination. These updates, while not always successful, mark an evolution that has broken the typical design patterns that had repeated themselves to the point of boredom. Suggesting this development was something bad simply highlights the tendency of some to cling blindly to old paradigms in design simply because "that's how we've always done it."

This is how design, across every platform, moves forward.

I agree that it takes leaps like this to move design forward, but it also moves it two steps back. design, like hairstyles, cars, fashion etc.,

tends to take on wild ideas that are laughed at twenty years later. when elements of the far out ideas are refined and applied to a traditional look, thats when they succeed. as a football traditionalist i see old school stripes, gray facemasks, and block numbers applied to the new uniform cuts and templates as that progression.

0426dnb01harewooddinner.jpg

Ahhhh

Nanaimo Timbermen-BC Junior lacrosse league

Reminiscent of the sheriff jerseys

Well, well, well... and I thought I was the only one "wild" enough to utilize the Lumberjack plaid...

rrralternate3fo7.th.gif

Fantasy League team created end of December 2003.

I actually don't think that the timbermen's shirt is that bad. This is a garment that exist, as opposed to the cartoonish sublimated ink farce of the Sheriff outift, which has what to do with the Malard???? actually, an orange Hunter helmet with a camo jersey would have been more appropriate...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Special mention has to go to these 1933 Hawthorn jumpers:

EPooleHaw.JPG

They were a mustard/gold with a brown vee, but the impressive thing about these beauties is the coach (Fred Phillips) pulled one on, however his arm had an open wound. The dye from the jumpers infected the wound, and he DIED of septicemia (blood poisoning) from the jumper.

Not surprisingly, they only wore them the one year.

Rmered, I believe you meant to post this in the "Deadliest Jersey Ever" thread. A common mistake.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Special mention has to go to these 1933 Hawthorn jumpers:

EPooleHaw.JPG

They were a mustard/gold with a brown vee, but the impressive thing about these beauties is the coach (Fred Phillips) pulled one on, however his arm had an open wound. The dye from the jumpers infected the wound, and he DIED of septicemia (blood poisoning) from the jumper.

Not surprisingly, they only wore them the one year.

Rmered, I believe you meant to post this in the "Deadliest Jersey Ever" thread. A common mistake.

Amongst some people "deadly" is a word for "really good". (Particularly Indigenous Australians)

http://www.deadlys.vibe.com.au/

I would think the Phillips family wasn't thinking how 'deadly' it was at the time.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

What are you complaining about? It's the WHITE SOX.

Okay, I'll say it. It's always bothered me that the "White Sox" don't wear any. Makes no sense whatsoever.

They could wear white stirrups and have a cool look unique in baseball.

That has always bothered me as well. The real irony is that with stirrupless (?) socks in vogue now, many Sox players wear long black sox . . . thus stirring up memories of the darkest chapter in the team's history.

They tried white stirrups in 1969-1970, but your example looks much better.

al_1969_chicago.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

What are you complaining about? It's the WHITE SOX.

Okay, I'll say it. It's always bothered me that the "White Sox" don't wear any. Makes no sense whatsoever.

They could wear white stirrups and have a cool look unique in baseball.

That has always bothered me as well. The real irony is that with stirrupless (?) socks in vogue now, many Sox players wear long black sox . . . thus stirring up memories of the darkest chapter in the team's history.

I could kind of see the nickname working so long as players were at least wearing white sanitaries. But now, as you mention, many players are only wearing solid-color socks, which in the case of the South Siders means that their uniforms are the exact opposite of the team's name:

crede_4.jpg

It would be like the Reds suddenly adopting a blue-and-white color scheme.

It'd be kind of hard for a team to wear a Glass Sox in Toledo (though Ottawa Hills HS did wear argyle sox for a while), a Solar Sox, a Sun Sox, or a Super Sox. Now the Utica Blue Sox -- there was truth in advertising, dammit!

It'd be kind of hard for a team to wear a Glass Sox in Toledo (though Ottawa Hills HS did wear argyle sox for a while), a Solar Sox, a Sun Sox, or a Super Sox. Now the Utica Blue Sox -- there was truth in advertising, dammit!

It would also be hard to wear Baysox, unless you found a pair the color of a bay horse (and that's not what the team had in mind anyway). However, none of those teams are/were named after a color of socks.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived