Cowboys Stadium - Emphasizing Navy and Silver

TruColor

As far as I could tell the video screen was in live time, no delays. One annoying thing was that they never posted any game info on the mega board, just images. It took us almost a quarter to realize the game clock was on a designated part of the matrix strip. I'm hoping during the regular season they better use the technology to show scores and highlights from around the league. Last night every commercial break was uncomfortable close-ups of the players, cheerleaders and fans. If you have a zit or a cold sore watch out for cameras!

And for the comments that the place lacks character....give it a chance, they've only played one game there. You can see where they're adding the familiar field level blue background with the stars. The center star is yet to come, as are the Super Bowl banners, Emmitt's rushing leader banner, the new Ring of Honor (you can see the concrete strip where it will be between the matrix boards)and so on. The stadium is largely done, but still needs a few touch ups.

Oh, the seats are kind of plasticky and cheap feeling. They're not terrible, but they're nothing special either. Apparently the club level has leather seats but I don't sit there. I want my future grandchidren to have a college fund.

newsig.jpg

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for punters hitting it, I think it was the '76 Pro Bowl in New Orleans when Ray Guy of the Raaaaay-duhs hit the Superdome's hanging replay screens*. It too was a do-over, something I'd never seen in an NFL game before or since until last night.

* This was a far more modest setup than the Cowboys have, a 4-sided (IIRC) projection screen deal that could be raised and lowered depending on the event. The size and picture quality wasn't the greatest but it was cool to see a replay in the stadium, something we all take for granted today.

It's visible at the top of this pic:

new_orleans_saints.jpg

It may have been at the Super Bowl too, but the NFL made the Superdome take down the video screens after Guy kept hitting them during practice.

As far as Jones' comment that he will not move the screens, NFL > Jones on that call.

Packers-2.png

As for punters hitting it, I think it was the '76 Pro Bowl in New Orleans when Ray Guy of the Raaaaay-duhs hit the Superdome's hanging replay screens*. It too was a do-over, something I'd never seen in an NFL game before or since until last night.

* This was a far more modest setup than the Cowboys have, a 4-sided (IIRC) projection screen deal that could be raised and lowered depending on the event. The size and picture quality wasn't the greatest but it was cool to see a replay in the stadium, something we all take for granted today.

new_orleans_saints.jpg

It may have been at the Super Bowl too, but the NFL made the Superdome take down the video screens after Guy kept hitting them during practice.

I don't think that's true. I attended a game in the Dome in 1983 and the screens were still in operation.

I think the screens were finally raised some time in the 1980s, at the latest when the Republican National Convention was held there in 1988. They weren't of real good quality by the early 1980s and once DiamondVision boards became common, the Superdome got a couple and pretty much turned off the four-sided board. They were completely taken out a few years ago.

Yeah, I think at some point Jerry's going to have move the thing up a little. Better sooner than later I say. Based on what I saw last night, it might help a little (from a distraction standpoint).

U2 plays the stadium in October. From what I've read, their elaborate stage set up will require the board to be moved up fifteen feet. What a perfect opportunity to just leave it at that height...and to wash their hands of this whole "predicament."

newsig.jpg

In Madden 10, the Super Bowl banners hang from the giant jumbotron, and it looks awesome.

Wouldn't that be even more of an obstruction? If a punted ball can hit the bottom of the screens, I can only imagine that even more would hit anything hanging from them.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

new_orleans_saints.jpg

I don't think that's true. I attended a game in the Dome in 1983 and the screens were still in operation.

I think the screens were finally raised some time in the 1980s, at the latest when the Republican National Convention was held there in 1988. They weren't of real good quality by the early 1980s and once DiamondVision boards became common, the Superdome got a couple and pretty much turned off the four-sided board. They were completely taken out a few years ago.

I should have said the NFL made the Superdome take down the screens for Super Bowl XV. I was at the 1983 Sugar Bowl, and yes, the screens were there.

Packers-2.png

As far as I could tell the video screen was in live time, no delays. One annoying thing was that they never posted any game info on the mega board, just images. It took us almost a quarter to realize the game clock was on a designated part of the matrix strip. I'm hoping during the regular season they better use the technology to show scores and highlights from around the league. Last night every commercial break was uncomfortable close-ups of the players, cheerleaders and fans. If you have a zit or a cold sore watch out for cameras!

And for the comments that the place lacks character....give it a chance, they've only played one game there. You can see where they're adding the familiar field level blue background with the stars. The center star is yet to come, as are the Super Bowl banners, Emmitt's rushing leader banner, the new Ring of Honor (you can see the concrete strip where it will be between the matrix boards)and so on. The stadium is largely done, but still needs a few touch ups.

Oh, the seats are kind of plasticky and cheap feeling. They're not terrible, but they're nothing special either. Apparently the club level has leather seats but I don't sit there. I want my future grandchidren to have a college fund.

Actually, the type of turf they ordered had the logos tufted into the turf instead of having them cut and sewn into the turf. So, if the star is put in, it will most likely be painted. I wouldn't be shocked if it was left blank for special midfield logos, such as the Super Bowl in a few years.

new_orleans_saints.jpg

I should have said the NFL made the Superdome take down the screens for Super Bowl XV. I was at the 1983 Sugar Bowl, and yes, the screens were there.

I don't think they were ever actually removed for a game. The height was adjustable and when not in use they'd crank the screens all the way up to the ceiling. The 'Dome's outside height is 273 feet so the ceiling isn't much less than that. You'd need Superman to hit 'em with a punt up there. :D

Back to Cowboys stadium...I saw somewhere that parking in the stadium lots costs $75. Can that possibly be true? If so... :blink::blink:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

new_orleans_saints.jpg

I don't think they were ever actually removed for a game. The height was adjustable and when not in use they'd crank the screens all the way up to the ceiling. The 'Dome's outside height is 273 feet so the ceiling isn't much less than that. You'd need Superman to hit 'em with a punt up there. :D

Back to Cowboys stadium...I saw somewhere that parking in the stadium lots costs $75. Can that possibly be true? If so... :blink::blink:

I think it's 40 or 50.

But the lots around the stadium range in price from 10 to 40. If you park in the CiCi's parking lot, you get a free buffet.

I drove my Mom and Sister to the game Friday and coming up Randol Mill, traffic wasn't too bad. But that was 45 minutes before the game.

They sat in section 127, which are excellent seats. They didn't pay a dime for their tickets.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

Stadium looks nice, but I just noticed the Cowboys changed the number font on their jerseys. Was that this season, or was that done a long time ago? (Look at the 5s) :blink:

54%20Ken%20Norton%20Jr.jpga14a463e-6add-49a2-8061-97a9f492076c.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Perhaps they made the switch when they finally gave up screenprinting for sewn-on numbers. Good eye, though; that's something which would require a good bit of research.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On ESPNews this morning, it sounded like the NFL is taking a wait-and-see attitude towards this. The first two options were to change the rule so that punts off of the scoreboard/video screen are live balls or to move the thing up. No matter how Jerry Jones feels about it, the NFL will end up with the final say here at some point. Their league, their product, their rules.

Trust me, this will work itself out. The Super Bowl is coming, and with the way the NFL micromanages and controls every aspect of the game, there is NO way this is an issue by then. The NFL won't let some circus gimmick affect the marquee event in North American sports.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I haven't read all this topic yet, but WOW at all this Cowboy hate. There is no freaking way a punter can hit that thing and have a decent punt. Some no-name punter for the Titans hit it, but McBriar, Cowboy's pro bowl punter, never could hit it and said he never will.

Until this happens in the regular season, don't cry about it yet. The stadium is awesome, and quite easily the best stadium in the league. If you want to be a straight up Cowboy hater, then fine. Join the crowd.

There is no freaking way a punter can hit that thing and have a decent punt.

Well, duh, if they hit it the punt will bounce backwards or downward, thus making it a bad punt.

Some punters rely on hangtime, which means high punts. Mike Scifres of the Chargers is one that comes to mind.

Stadium looks nice, but I just noticed the Cowboys changed the number font on their jerseys. Was that this season, or was that done a long time ago? (Look at the 5s) :blink:

54%20Ken%20Norton%20Jr.jpga14a463e-6add-49a2-8061-97a9f492076c.jpg

The font changed when they went from Russell to Apex in 1993-1994. That font in the Ken Norton picture is the old Russell stock block font.

They went to the current font in 1996 when they wore unbranded jerseys made by Ripon, then to Nike the next year (also made by Ripon, who has manufactured the jerseys ever since).

I haven't read all this topic yet, but WOW at all this Cowboy hate. There is no freaking way a punter can hit that thing and have a decent punt. Some no-name punter for the Titans hit it, but McBriar, Cowboy's pro bowl punter, never could hit it and said he never will.

Until this happens in the regular season, don't cry about it yet. The stadium is awesome, and quite easily the best stadium in the league. If you want to be a straight up Cowboy hater, then fine. Join the crowd.

And you've been to how many other stadiums to compare?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What's the deal with Cowboys fans thinking any criticism of their team or stadium is always "Cowboy hate"?? Please, don't flatter yourselves.

Archived