What justifies fandom?

BlueSky

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great thread! It'll probably turn into a fandom discussion on how each one of us became fans of the teams we love, I was born into being a UNC Fan, and will be until my last breath, I became a Sox fan simply because I always loved to pick them while playing MLB MVP 2003...

No need to justify. What makes a "fan" is something that in my opinion, he/she has very little control over. I could not pick a team if I wanted to (I know that because I tried to do it when the North Stars moved). So the "frontrunners" probably don't get too excited when the Yanks or Lakers win, because they've manufactured their "fandom". When the North Stars moved, I chose Detroit as my team (and I swear it was not "frontrunning". It was when they were just starting to be good and I'd always liked 'em when the stunk in the 1980s because of, you guessed it, their uniforms). When they finally won after a few years, I felt no more excitement than I would have had the Stars been around. I was glad to see 'em win one, just like I have been with the Bucs, Pens and some others, but a fan I was not.

Another instance in which "justification" is not needed...Growing up Gopher and going to Wisconsin, I shifted allegiances immediately--Undergrad life is fun and I went to tons of games. Minnesota was a pro-town and Madison a college-town. But some people I know from Minny that went to Wisconsin stuck with the gophers because they'd been cheering for them their whole lives. Neither of us is wrong or needs to "justify". If your heart is into it, you're a fan.

I've never understood being a fan of, for example, the Padres, Red Sox and Brewers. That does not work for me, but if you really would get excited for any of them winning it, then I guess you can be a fan of multiple teams.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If you spend five minutes with BgMack27, your Florida sports fandom will be ruined.

Actually, I've turned many people INTO Florida Gator fans. It's not my fault some people on the boards loathe UF, but I don't cause that hate. Just like many people hate the Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, whatever.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

If you spend five minutes with BgMack27, your Florida sports fandom will be ruined.

It's not my fault some people on the boards loathe UF, but I don't cause that hate.

No Ryan. You are exactly why I cannot :censored: ing stand the Gators.

6uXNWAo.png

Over the years I've grown to be more of a follower of entire leagues, than fan of a particular team. I do root a little for the hometown teams, mostly by default, with the exception of the Red Wings. Other than that, I root differently on a game by game basis. It could be depending on a certain storyline that I would or wouldn't like to see. It could be based on players or management of a given team that I like or dislike. It could be even something stupid as what someone else said, uniform related.

It's not my fault some people on the boards loathe UF, but I don't cause that hate.

No Ryan. You are exactly why I cannot :censored: ing stand the Gators.

Because I love them, love SEC football, and believe it's the best conference in the NCAA hands down? I mean the media seems to share that sentiment. Sorry that we're not Notre Dame with history since 1900. Our football program has only been a powerhouse since Spurrier arrived in 1990. There are a lot of schools that have fans that are worse than Florida's. U of Miami has some of the most fairweather, yet nastiest fans in college football. Georgia fans are pretty awful...I mean they stood up and cheered when they showed Tim Tebow being put into an ambulance. That's going too far in my book.

When I was in undergrad, a Tennesee fan was arrested for throwing a Gator fan off the 2nd story of an apartment building during a party. My friend Stacy's brother had his window punched out by a U of Miami fan while parked at a Publix grocery store. We Gator fans don't get violent like that. We may hoot, holler, yell, and celebrate, but I think that should be expected.

You also have to realize, for years FSU and U of Miami fans constantly dogged us because we were the 3rd best team in the state. We've vaulted past FSU, and have our sights set on Miami. It's a rebellion thing.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

OK, I confess. At one time I followed the Chargers for no other reason than that I liked their uniforms. That's usually a female thing, right? But then Fouts & Co. came along and how can you not root for a guy like that? Dropping back, he looked like Herman Munster with his shoestrings tied together (kind of like Big Ben avoiding the rush), but the man could play and that offense was a perfect match for the bolts on their uniforms.

But while I 'followed' the Chargers, I wouldn't call myself a 'fan' per se and lost interest after Air Coryell ran its course. My current 'other than the Saints' team is the Steelers. Like the coach, the QB, Hines Ward, and their style of play. Unis aren't bad, either. B) But I don't own Steelers gear and don't live or die with whether they win. The Saints are the only ones with that level of commitment from me.

In the college ranks, I followed Texas only because I was born there and lived there for a while but didn't feel a real connection. When I married a Sooner who bleeds crimson and cream, that was enough for me to go lock, stock and barrel for OU.

So here's my question: what is enough to justify being a fan of a given team? Do you have to live, or have lived, in the team's city? Have family who attended the school? Just like their unis, coach, or one or more players? Or what other tie is strong enough to justify being a fan? Does fandom even need to be justified?

LOL... did you forget where you're posting this?

One of my best friends in high school was born in St. Louis and started liking the Rams when they were in LA because he thought they had the coolest helmets. Imagine how bad he LOST IT when he found out they were moving.

Me? I have a habit of casually following any team that wears brown because its my favorite color, but pretty rare in the sports world.

No need to justify. What makes a "fan" is something that in my opinion, he/she has very little control over. I could not pick a team if I wanted to (I know that because I tried to do it when the North Stars moved). So the "frontrunners" probably don't get too excited when the Yanks or Lakers win, because they've manufactured their "fandom". When the North Stars moved, I chose Detroit as my team (and I swear it was not "frontrunning". It was when they were just starting to be good and I'd always liked 'em when the stunk in the 1980s because of, you guessed it, their uniforms). When they finally won after a few years, I felt no more excitement than I would have had the Stars been around. I was glad to see 'em win one, just like I have been with the Bucs, Pens and some others, but a fan I was not.

Another instance in which "justification" is not needed...Growing up Gopher and going to Wisconsin, I shifted allegiances immediately--Undergrad life is fun and I went to tons of games. Minnesota was a pro-town and Madison a college-town. But some people I know from Minny that went to Wisconsin stuck with the gophers because they'd been cheering for them their whole lives. Neither of us is wrong or needs to "justify". If your heart is into it, you're a fan.

I've never understood being a fan of, for example, the Padres, Red Sox and Brewers. That does not work for me, but if you really would get excited for any of them winning it, then I guess you can be a fan of multiple teams.

It's more of a I get really excited when one of the teams I don't hate wins it. That's why I'm rooting for the Angels, they're the only team left I don't have a strong dislike for.

6fQjS3M.png

Over the years I've grown to be more of a follower of entire leagues, than fan of a particular team. I do root a little for the hometown teams, mostly by default, with the exception of the Red Wings. Other than that, I root differently on a game by game basis. It could be depending on a certain storyline that I would or wouldn't like to see. It could be based on players or management of a given team that I like or dislike. It could be even something stupid as what someone else said, uniform related.

Dear God in Heaven. The world must be ending. The Raiders win a game and Milo and I see something the same way. Milo, you just described exactly how I follow sports. Change Red Wings to Cavs and I'd swear you were describing me. Based on our recent history you probably think I am messing with you but I am dead serious. Maybe you're not so bad after all. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I am a fan of the teams I am mostly because of where I am from, Buffalo. Therefore I am a Sabres, Bills, and UB Bulls fan.

The only other team I really like are the Baltimore Orioles. There are no MLB teams in Buffalo obviously and weren't when my dad became an Orioles fan in the late 60's. I tend to believe he was a fan because they were on TV in his time since they were a better team, winning the World Series when he was 6 and 10. However he says the main reason he is an Orioles fan is because of the best defensive 3b of all time, Brooks Robinson. My dad played 3b in Little League and loved Brooks. When I was born this Orioles fandom was passed on to me. That is why I am an Orioles fan.

I also tend to root for the underdog teams if my team is out or in College Sports, I love seeing the "little" schools win, like Boise State, George Mason and Utah.

I also have an extreme hatred of the New York Yankees and the New York Giants, the Yankees hatred started when I was younger. People used to tell me I should be a Yankees fan since they are in NYS. Buffalo is closer to Camden Yards than Yankee Stadium, albeit by a small amount, 374 miles vs. 363 miles, just because it is in NYS does not mean I "have" to be a Yankees fan. I do not like their practices of trying to buying championships and all the cocky Yankee fans drive me crazy.

I despise the NY Giants because of the school I go to which is 75% cocky Giants fans who for some reason have a hatred of all things Buffalo, not only the Bills.

saBS.png

One of my best friends in high school was born in St. Louis and started liking the Rams when they were in LA because he thought they had the coolest helmets. Imagine how bad he LOST IT when he found out they were moving.

I knew a guy that was a huge Cleveland Browns fan. As far as I know, he never lived in or had ties with the city of Cleveland. He moved around a lot, and finally settled down in the Baltimore area at the end of his life. Yet when the Browns moved to Baltimore he refused to root for them. In fact he hated the Ravens as if he was from Cleveland. I'm not sure if that was because he knew Cleveland would be getting an expansion team in a few years or not. But I have to respect him for staying loyal to the city over the team. I'm not trying to call your friend out or anyone else. Just found it interesting since you don't see that kind of loyalty with "foreign" fans.

I also have an extreme hatred of the New York Yankees and the New York Giants, the Yankees hatred started when I was younger. People used to tell me I should be a Yankees fan since they are in NYS. Buffalo is closer to Camden Yards than Yankee Stadium, albeit by a small amount, 374 miles vs. 363 miles

Wow I would have never guessed that was the case. Heck I'm closer to Yankee Stadium than you. Have you ever visited Camden Yards?

I knew a guy that was a huge Cleveland Browns fan. As far as I know, he never lived in or had ties with the city of Cleveland. He moved around a lot, and finally settled down in the Baltimore area at the end of his life. Yet when the Browns moved to Baltimore he refused to root for them. In fact he hated the Ravens as if he was from Cleveland. I'm not sure if that was because he knew Cleveland would be getting an expansion team in a few years or not. But I have to respect him for staying loyal to the city over the team. I'm not trying to call your friend out or anyone else. Just found it interesting since you don't see that kind of loyalty with "foreign" fans.

I also have an extreme hatred of the New York Yankees and the New York Giants, the Yankees hatred started when I was younger. People used to tell me I should be a Yankees fan since they are in NYS. Buffalo is closer to Camden Yards than Yankee Stadium, albeit by a small amount, 374 miles vs. 363 miles

Wow I would have never guessed that was the case. Heck I'm closer to Yankee Stadium than you. Have you ever visited Camden Yards?

I've been to Camden twice, most recently in July for a game vs. the Blue Jays. I've been to Old Yankee Stadium once, the worst game I've been to, an 11-0 Yankees win over the Angles.

There are plenty of teams closer to me (Orchard Park, NY) than the Yankees, not just the Orioles.

Blue Jays-111 miles

Indians-187 miles

Pirates-212 miles

Tigers-273 miles

Orioles-363 miles

Phillies-374 miles

Yankees-374 miles

Nationals-377 miles

Mets-381 miles

saBS.png

There are so many stories of kids becoming Steelers fans in Cleveland during those few years... so sad.

6fQjS3M.png

There are so many stories of kids becoming Steelers fans in Cleveland during those few years... so sad.

There are alot of Steelers fans around here from when the Colts left. But for Baltimore there was no idea when or if we'd get another team. For Cleveland you at least knew another one was coming. Either way still sad.

Naw...what's sad is the immense about of Cowboys fans down at the other end of the B/W Parkway. That is both hilarious and ridiculous at the same time, especially considering how rabid the Skins fans are around here.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's weird. I've only been to San Diego twice in my life, when I was very little at that, but I'm a diehard Chargers fan. Basically my dad was, so I am. Family traditions are as good as any other reason to follow a NFL team when you live north of the border, IMO.

The thing is, with all of this talk about teams moving to LA, I don't feel that distressed about the Chargers being one of the potential teams. I know it's because I have no real connection to the city, and I recognize that, but I still kinda feel like a dick for feeling so dismissive of the city that's housed my favourite NFL team for most of its history. Eh, live and learn I suppose.

Georgia fans are pretty awful...I mean they stood up and cheered when they showed Tim Tebow being put into an ambulance. That's going too far in my book.

Not a single person I know of cheered when Tebow was being placed in an ambulance, and I'm willing to wager that I know a helluvah lot more Georgia fans than you do.

I know you have a habit of making generalizations and/or falsities about Georgia fans, but at least "man up" and defend your generalizations.

It's interesting to see how many people are fans of out of market teams. Take me for instance, I love the Sox, yet i've never set foot in Fenway, Boston, Mass, or even past D.C. for that matter. I love them because we dont have a MLB market in Charlotte except for the Braves in Atlanta. It's funny to hear transplant stories and origins of people who are fans of teams half way across the country...

Georgia fans are pretty awful...I mean they stood up and cheered when they showed Tim Tebow being put into an ambulance. That's going too far in my book.

Not a single person I know of cheered when Tebow was being placed in an ambulance, and I'm willing to wager that I know a helluvah lot more Georgia fans than you do.

I know you have a habit of making generalizations and/or falsities about Georgia fans, but at least "man up" and defend your generalizations.

Damn straight. Plus they're are some terrible Florida fans. Don't act like all UGA fans are bad and all Florida fans are models for how to act.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived