Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I have a question now... and hopefully someone whose more up on the Pac-10 can answer it for me.

I saw on ESPN's bottom line last night that the SEC is really only interested in Texas and Oklahoma. If the SEC got them to join without their "dance partners," then what happens to A&M, Tech and Okie State? Would the Pac-10 still want them without the bigger schools it was assumed they'd come with... or would they be more likely to lock in on the Mountain West and go after the Utah schools, TCU and perhaps even Boise?

They would go after Utah, but not BYU. If the Cal and Stanford have issues with Baylor (Baptist), then they will have issues with BYU (LDS Church). TCU may face the same issue as they have an affiliation to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), but they are not govern by them.

Poor Hawaii after all the teams that made BCS Bowls, they are left in the terrible wac with fresno.

Hawaii was boned the second June Jones left.

Granted, they were also arguably the worst team to ever play in a BCS Bowl.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If ONLY Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC... I don't think you will see the Big 12 fall apart. Kansas, Kansas State, Mizzou, and Iowa State have all said they would be interested in the staying in the Big 12. I could see them inviting TCU and maybe trying to steal some school from the SEC. If that happens, Colorado could have made a bad move.

I don't see some of the lesser SEC schools wanting to get beat up week in and week out with a football conference consisting of almost all power houses.

I think the PAC 10 would still want OK State and Tech, but I don't see them going alone.

With the kind of money the SEC is raking in, I don't think Vanderbilt and Mississippi State will mind getting their asses kicked by Texas and Oklahoma when they're already getting routinely throttled by the likes of Alabama and Florida.

Besides, there's no school I can think of that's annually weak in every sport.

Poor Hawaii after all the teams that made BCS Bowls, they are left in the terrible wac with fresno.

True, but it would be cool to have teams go to hawaii and play they have good hs players.

If ONLY Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC... I don't think you will see the Big 12 fall apart. Kansas, Kansas State, Mizzou, and Iowa State have all said they would be interested in the staying in the Big 12. I could see them inviting TCU and maybe trying to steal some school from the SEC. If that happens, Colorado could have made a bad move.

I don't see some of the lesser SEC schools wanting to get beat up week in and week out with a football conference consisting of almost all power houses.

I think the PAC 10 would still want OK State and Tech, but I don't see them going alone.

On the first bolded part, if those 4 schools are still in it, it would be with Baylor. Who TCU would probably screw over, and rightfully so. Plus, nobody making SEC money now would jump to a Big XII without Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska. Could there still be a conference? Yes, but it would have to come in taking a couple (lesser) Mountain West or C-USA teams. Maybe the likes of Memphis, Houston, Rice, etc.

On the second one, Colorado will make a lot more money from the Pac-12 (which it would presumably be in this case) than in the Big 12's form (possibly the Big 8 again) as the money from TV revenue would be more. They'll get more of a piece of the pie from Oregon, USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, etc. on playing football games than from Kansas, K-State, Baylor, Mizzou, and Iowa State. Remember that money is what's driving all of this.

6fQjS3M.png

True, but it would be cool to have teams go to hawaii and play they have good hs players.

So do California, Texas, and Florida. And better yet, you don't have to deal with bloody jet lag.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With the kind of money the SEC is raking in, I don't think Vanderbilt and Mississippi State will mind getting their asses kicked by Texas and Oklahoma when they're already getting routinely throttled by the likes of Alabama and Florida.

Besides, there's no school I can think of that's annually weak in every sport.

True, but if you can make a jump and be a dominant school in multiple sports...

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Gosh....Texas really doesn't want to be seen as the villain of the piece.

Today, we are all otaku.

And we're finally in position to have a 12-team Big Ten and a 10-team Big XII. Wonderful.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I like the part where they say losing the championship game is no big deal.

Right.

What was the primary criticism of the Big Ten champion's "legitimacy" (for lack of a better word) to contend for the national title again?

Today, we are all otaku.

So if the Big Ten remains at 12 (doubtful, but for the sake of argument...) Does Nebraska provide the juice in the west to go with East and West?

EAST:

PSU

OSU

MICH

MSU

IN

PUR

WEST:

WISC

MINN

IOWA

ILL

NW

NEB

The balance is still definitely in the East. But it beats a lame North/South split or a random split.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So if the Big Ten remains at 12 (doubtful, but for the sake of argument...) Does Nebraska provide the juice in the west to go with East and West?

EAST:

PSU

OSU

MICH

MSU

IN

PUR

WEST:

WISC

MINN

IOWA

ILL

NW

NEB

The balance is still definitely in the East. But it beats a lame North/South split or a random split.

YES. All the trophy/rivalry games stay intact and I do think it adds some sizzle to an otherwise underwhelming West. (And I like a lot of those teams.) This is why I said from the start that if the Big Ten expands, there needs to be one more team in the West than the East. Even a 14 with Nebraska, Missouri and Rutgers (or Notre Dame) would work. 16 blows the whole thing up no matter what (pods), I'm afraid, so at that point it wouldn't matter where the teams are from. And because of that, I almost want the Big Ten to stay at 12 now, where before I liked the 14 idea because of the likelihood Nebraska and Missouri would be brought in as secondaries after the East or Notre Dame stuff was settled. (Who knew?)

EAST:

PSU

OSU

MICH

MSU

IN

PUR

WEST:

WISC

MINN

IOWA

ILL

NW

NEB

Still somewhat heavy in the East that way. But that's about as good as I think you can get. Nebraska's the top while Wisconsin and Iowa are solid second tier. Illinois and Northwestern can occasionally be decent and Minnesota is Minnesota. The west you've got 3 top schools in OSU, Michigan, and Penn State (assuming Michigan returns to what it should be). Then you don't really have a second tier, just the occasionally good teams in Michigan State and Purdue with Indiana being Indiana.

So its fairly even really. Better than how the Big 12 North vs. South was...

Basketball wise its really even. Wisconsin and Illinois are good in the West with everyone but Northwestern occasionally good. Nebraska I got to claim ignorance on but they seem like a Minnesota. Decent at times but generally middle of the pack. East its all Michigan State with Michigan having history and starting to come back, Ohio State's been pretty good the last 5 years or so, Indiana will be back, Purdue as well. Penn State is the Northwestern of the East for Basketball.

So all in all, I'm kinda hoping that's what they go with.

If they add 3 teams out east plus Notre Dame might throw all the Indiana schools into the West which keeps things pretty even as well. (Notre Dame joins Nebraska as the traditional power in the West for football, ND brings nothing to Basketball, but adding Purdue and Indiana could make the West basketball heavy.)

I'm completely confused by all this. As of right now, the Pac 10 becomes the Pac 10 plus 1, the Big 12 becomes the Big 12 minus two, and the Big 10 plus 1 becomes the Big 12? Okay that makes sense... or not!

because we were talking about TV contracts, via ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5285680

Millions of Reasons

Big 12 Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma would each receive at least $20 million annually from a new Big 12 TV contract, according to a report, comparable with what the top conference deals pay now.

BCS conference Amount of contract

Big Ten $242 million

SEC $205 million

Big 12 $78 million

ACC $67 million

Pacific-10 $58 million

Big East $33 million

I have a question for everyone. If the Big 12 stays with 10 teams, including Oklahoma and Texas... Does that make Colorado the big loser, and the Big 10/Big XII the big winner? Rather than the PAC 12 being the big winner, and Big 12 being the big loser.

Does the Big 12 try and steal TCU? and possibly 1 other school? Possibly a University of Houston, UTEP, Tulsa?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

So do California, Texas, and Florida. And better yet, you don't have to deal with bloody jet lag.

So does Nj, but it would be nice to dee all the top hawaiian players play for there home state.