2010 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I don't really buy the "high pressure" argument too much. Particularly this year when the AL playoff representatives have been pretty much set for so long. High Pressure for CC? When was the last time the Yankees playoff birth was in doubt?

The win and the loss are two very overrated pitcher stats. No pitcher should be 12-11 with an ERA under 2.5.

That said, Sabathia's had a great year and I have no problem if he gets it, but the "high pressure" thing has always bothered me (in part because when I first heard about it it was in the context that essentially the Cy Young has to come from NYY or BOS every year 'cuz of fan and media pressure.)

And hey, Felix never gets to face the Mariners.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing the number of players who were good, but then came to Philadelphia and melted down, only to get shipped off to cities like St. Louis, San Diego, etc. and be good again, is part of why I do believe so much in the whole pressure thing. There is playoff pressure, which is really city indifferent and more team specific, and then there's "city pressure", which has to do with the atmosphere at the park, and the fan and media pressure. It's an undeniable fact that playing in Seattle or San Diego is different than playing in New York or Boston or some of the other major-market cities. However it is certainly debatable whether or not that should be a factor in a Cy Young vote. My opinion is that yes, it has to be a factor.

There's no way to know if a guy can "do it" when it counts unless he really has to. We'll find out with Roy Halladay this October how he holds up under the pressure. He's been rather shaky over the past month, so it's certainly no given that he's going to rise to the occasion (fortunately, he's good enough that even his bad outings are usually good enough.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seeing the number of players who were good, but then came to Philadelphia and melted down, only to get shipped off to cities like St. Louis, San Diego, etc. and be good again, is part of why I do believe so much in the whole pressure thing. There is playoff pressure, which is really city indifferent and more team specific, and then there's "city pressure", which has to do with the atmosphere at the park, and the fan and media pressure. It's an undeniable fact that playing in Seattle or San Diego is different than playing in New York or Boston or some of the other major-market cities. However it is certainly debatable whether or not that should be a factor in a Cy Young vote. My opinion is that yes, it has to be a factor.

There's no way to know if a guy can "do it" when it counts unless he really has to. We'll find out with Roy Halladay this October how he holds up under the pressure. He's been rather shaky over the past month, so it's certainly no given that he's going to rise to the occasion (fortunately, he's good enough that even his bad outings are usually good enough.)

I get everything you say and I don't think Matt Capps can really handle closing games that count for the first time in his career. If two guys are close enough, I'm certainly going to go with the guy that was pitching in bigger games ("playoff pressure"). But personal awards should recognize that a player can only control so much...which is why I liked Greinke (who's name I may or may not be able to spell) getting it last year.

As for "city pressure". I am very uncomfortable with what would amount to a "tie goes to the toughest fans / media". In the AL it that is essentially "tie goes to Boston or New York." They are there to help their team win and meaner columnists and less cavalier fans should not matter...you're focused on the team. It may get to some guys, but I have a hard time factoring that. "Pennant Pressure" on the other hand...you're pitching for the team (whether it's New York or San Diego) in a huge spot, so I can buy that as a factor. I'd say "pressure" in San Diego this year should be more relevant than say, with the Mets, or event the Yankees.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's an undeniable fact that playing in Seattle or San Diego is different than playing in New York or Boston or some of the other major-market cities. However it is certainly debatable whether or not that should be a factor in a Cy Young vote. My opinion is that yes, it has to be a factor.

So, we should only give out the Cy Young to pitchers in Boston, New York, Chicago, or Philly then?

IMO, making so-called "media pressure" a factor in Cy Young voting will only serve to shut the majority of dominant pitchers in the league out of receiving the award entirely, because it would give credence to the a-holes in the media that think only certain cities on the East Coast matter in sports.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It's an undeniable fact that playing in Seattle or San Diego is different than playing in New York or Boston or some of the other major-market cities. However it is certainly debatable whether or not that should be a factor in a Cy Young vote. My opinion is that yes, it has to be a factor.

So, we should only give out the Cy Young to pitchers in Boston, New York, Chicago, or Philly then?

IMO, making so-called "media pressure" a factor in Cy Young voting will only serve to shut the majority of dominant pitchers in the league out of receiving the award entirely, because it would give credence to the a-holes in the media that think only certain cities on the East Coast matter in sports.

Yes, that is clearly what I said, you overreacting dolt. Aren't you on vacation or something?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I didn't mean to overreact, I was just asking for a clarification since there seems to be a defined list of "pressure" markets and "non-pressure" markets.

What he said was that if all else is even, pressure should be a factor that's looked into, not that playing in a high-pressure market should be a qualifying factor.

IUe6Hvh.png

Ah, I see. I guess that went flying over my head. Sorry about that.

However, the problem I have with media pressure being used as a tie-breaker or method of distinction, as BBTV is suggesting, is that there's really no way of proving how it affects a given pitcher, and the emotional response differs from pitcher to pitcher. At least on-field production can be quantified by using a wide array of statistics, but those statistics don't and can't factor in outside pressure. Until we can prove that Felix wouldn't do as well with a louder stadium and a more volatile sports media, the mess in Seattle shouldn't be held against him.

xLmjWVv.png

I didn't mean to overreact, I was just asking for a clarification since there seems to be a defined list of "pressure" markets and "non-pressure" markets.

Pressure market: You're winning and you're within 3 games of a playoff spot.

Non-Pressure market: You're not.

BB52Big.jpg

So Tampa is a pressure market?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Jose Bautista has joined elite company and has finally hit Home-Run Number 50.

You mean 50*.

Jose is one of the good guys in baseball today. Listen to him in any interview, the guy is the most modest and humble guy out there. He's been tested all season and has passed all the tests with fying colours. So please for the good of everyone here STFU!

1zqy8ok.gif

You mean 50*.

Jose is one of the good guys in baseball today. Listen to him in any interview, the guy is the most modest and humble guy out there. He's been tested all season and has passed all the tests with fying colours. So please for the good of everyone here STFU!

I can't help but think something's fishy here. The guy who hadn't hit 20 homers in a season before this suddenly hits 50? * it is.

LvZYtbZ.png

You mean 50*.

I can't help but think something's fishy here. The guy who hadn't hit 20 homers in a season before this suddenly hits 50? * it is.

Maybe because he's never been an everyday player till now. This is only his 2nd 500+ at-bat season. Scouts always predicted him to be a plus power guy ever since his junior college days.

1zqy8ok.gif

So, would you have called Seattle - a town with a notoriously friendly sports media - a "pressure market" back in 2001 when the Mariners were on their way to 116 wins?

Likewise, would you say that New York ceased being a "pressure market" for a year in 2008 when the Yankees and Mets had the same mediocre record and the same results - no playoffs?

I know those are pretty extreme examples but my point is, judging the level of pressure in a market by wins doesn't always work, and therefore, judging pitchers by that ridiculous and cliquish standard is absurd.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived