New York Gargoyles Logo, UPDATE - Version 4

scottysprings

Hey guys,

Here's what I've come up with for my recently awarded WAFL franchise, the New York Gargoyles. I have been working on this logo for a few days now and have finally put together a vectorized draft. The inspiration for the logo came from the gargolyes and grotesques from the Chrysler Building, as seen below

gruffbrown_Chrysler_Building.jpggargoyle.jpg

I'm pretty happy with where this is right now but I'm looking for some c&c to get some additional perspectives. Do you think the use of 4 colors is too much or does it work alright? Also do you think I should try another dark color besides black (navy, forest green, etc.) to give a little more color or does the black work well? Let me know what you think, thanks guys.

gargoyles-logo-1.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats not a gargoyle, its a grotesque.

gargoyles spout water, grotesques are statues like those above.

i like the idea tho. perhaps you could try and get a bit more shadow into the underneath and the eyes beneath the brow.

Yeah I also like the mark but you can afford to be much bolder with your shading. Take a look at the photo the eagle head grotesque and squint slightly and notice all the amazing contrasts you see and just how solid and heavy it makes the thing look, I'm just not getting that (yet) with your mark, it'd be easy to achieve though, so really go for it!

I'd also like to see an accent colour as well, again it can be afford to be pretty garish given the team name and I'd look to incorporate that plus some hint of an "architectural" element into the workmark which right now just seems to standard to really work.

Excellent start though, brilliant idea, really appropriate and I look forward to seeing this one progress.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

This is great. I like how you incorporated parts of two different buildings. I agree with davidson that it needs more shadow around the eye. I would like to see you be more adventurous with the color palette on this one. You don't have to be true the the examples in that respect. How about a brass color or a patina green. You could either keep the black outline or match it with a darker color similar to the color of the logo(ie, reddish-brown to match up with brass and forest green to match up to patina). I think the use of four colors works well here. You get some nice depth to the logo because of it.

Great job!

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Being that I'm no expert on either logo design or gargoyles, I really can't offer that much C&C on this; however, having said that, for what you did come up with, and seeing how you got there, nice job! About the only thing that looks off to me from a design standpoint is the rounded tip of the beak; every other corner or apex is "sharp"--kinda get what I'm saying? Also, it's interesting I'm seeing this when I am, since I managed to catch some of the Syracuse/Rhode Island basketball game last night and found myself remembering how much I love the Friars' logo/identity package. I say that to say this: very rarely can sports teams get a black/white/gray or silver scheme to work very well for them, but the Friars probably do it the best that I've seen thus far. So no, I don't think you need four colors. I don't even think you need any color, really (other than the three you're using). I'd like to see where this goes.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm aware of the distinction but I don't think "Grotesques" is too great of a team name :P I tried to thicken up the shadowing under the brow and in the eye socket area as well as the jawline. Any better? I also made some modification to the beak in response to Bucco's comments. I included a bunch of color options to see if any stood out. Lastly I put together a custom font that I kinda tried to add a little art deco flair to but I'm not sure how well that turned out :P Let me know what you think of the update. Thanks guys!

gargoyles-logo-2.png?t=1267043971

2B!!

or not 2B, that is the question.

I like 2F.

I'm really liking this logo so far, and I think the term Gargoyle is used (albeit technically incorrect) as a catch-all for Gargoyles and Grotesques that I wouldn't worry about it.

I would still go more dramatic on your shading. I'm liking the black and seafoam version. Gives the feeling of oxidized copper and is a popular art deco color. The circle medallion also starts to look like a human ear when 'connected' to the head like that. Would make a great wraparound helmet logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I really like the black, silver, and white, it has more of a skyscraper feel to it. I still think you should add more shadow under the eye, really make it look sunk in. The eye itself could be dark as well, I think this would give it a much more menacing look.

Edit: looking back at your options, V2F is nice, just because it has the statue of liberty tint. I think I still prefer a lack of color.

Archived