College Football Uniforms 2010-2011

Brave-Bird 08

I wanna say Virginia Tech wore some drop shadows back in the day, but I can't find a pic for the life of me.

I did manage to find this beauty...

all_orange.jpg

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanna say Virginia Tech wore some drop shadows back in the day, but I can't find a pic for the life of me.

They were a one-time throwback. Couldn't find an action shot, but here's Vick wearing his at his jersey retirement:

0821_vickjersey_230x230.jpg

Lights Out - thanks for the old UVA jersey pic. The home blue is outstanding. They must have some history behind them since they were probably worn in 1995 (FSU game).

They were first used in 1998, then the number font was changed to standard block with drop shadow and the trim was removed from the sleeves in 2000. In 2001, the collar trim and drop-shadowed numbers were removed and the uniforms looked about as boring as their new ones.

Another classic drop-shadowed uniform - the Boise State Broncos:

fiesta_bowl_tadmantd.jpg

Although I do like what they're wearing now:

Oregon+v+Boise+State+UnpKwXe8GqVl.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Hmm...I know one of the Detmers must've played pro ball...was it Koy or Ty...can't remember.

Both had long careers as backup QBs (second QB coaches). No one ever thought the Detmers had the physical attributes to be good NFL QBs (especially Ty), but most acknowledge that they both have some of the best QB IQs in the league, so they were often on kept as the second or third QB to tutor young QBs

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Another unique number font that should never have been abandoned - Cincinnati's old font:

mccleskey_i.jpg

Also liked Texas Tech's old uniform:

lg_kingsbury_ap-01.jpg

what the hell is Texas Tech's sponsor on that jersey?

I thought their name was "Big Time" or "Big Tyme". I know a former Nike rep later worked for them from 2000-02. They were more interested in selling basketball apparel, hence the logo with a player in a defensive position.

There were a few years in the 90s where Auburn wore an orange drop-shadow with their numbers (Terry ripping off brother Tommy's design at Clemson). However, the drop shadow was scrapped when Tubs came in.

Sacker, now I recall back in the late '90s just about every Nike team implemented the drop shadow. Didn't think Auburn had it due to them being with Russell Athletic for the longest.

Looked pretty good on UNC if any of 'em.

team.jpg

mcnabb_college.jpg

ronald-curry.jpg

hines-ward-georgia-16x20-photo_7e02f3dfb651d388acb7218f434a959e.jpg

One more late '90s Nike drop shadow--BYU (and unnecessary addition of black trim):

steve-sarkisian.jpgitula-mili.jpg

The interesting thing about BYU, is to my knowledge they were the first school to do a dropshadow in the 1994 Copper Bowl vs. Oklahoma. The dropshadow was originally denied by the NCAA for that year, but then BYU appealed and won and began the dropshadow mania.

There were a few years in the 90s where Auburn wore an orange drop-shadow with their numbers (Terry ripping off brother Tommy's design at Clemson). However, the drop shadow was scrapped when Tubs came in.

Sacker, now I recall back in the late '90s just about every Nike team implemented the drop shadow. Didn't think Auburn had it due to them being with Russell Athletic for the longest.

Looked pretty good on UNC if any of 'em.

team.jpg

mcnabb_college.jpg

ronald-curry.jpg

hines-ward-georgia-16x20-photo_7e02f3dfb651d388acb7218f434a959e.jpg

One more late '90s Nike drop shadow--BYU (and unnecessary addition of black trim):

The interesting thing about BYU, is to my knowledge they were the first school to do a dropshadow in the 1994 Copper Bowl vs. Oklahoma. The dropshadow was originally denied by the NCAA for that year, but then BYU appealed and won and began the dropshadow mania.

you can thank the '94 49ers throwbacks for fueling that trend...drop shadowed numbers are really cool in moderation but like most trends in cfb everyone jumps on the bandwagon until the next big design trend comes along.

the only team I would recommend return to the drop shadows is Boise State...simply because their current uniforms are the worst in college football.

I think boise's new uniforms are nice for a modern look...I don't like the gray facemask though and the monochrome blue with the turf should be outlawed...I have a mild suspicion that they may have been designed as concept for florida in mind but were rejected then handed down to boise as a consolation...just a wild thought but it seems plausible...I'd have to think that this has happened at least once or twice in the world of uniform design.

When did UCLA start wearing their most recently-worn uniforms?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I want to say in 2003 when Karl Dorrell took over.

Ok, thanks.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

you can thank the '94 49ers throwbacks for fueling that trend...drop shadowed numbers are really cool in moderation but like most trends in cfb everyone jumps on the bandwagon until the next big design trend comes along.

Yep, oddball is right that BYU played the entire 1994 season with a black outline on their uniforms but no drop shadow. And of course, BYU added the drop shadow in the bowl game as a nod to BYU golden boy Steve Young and his throwback 1994 49ers. While the black was unnecessary, I actually like the uniforms as well, because they represent my first few years at BYU.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Yep, oddball is right that BYU played the entire 1994 season with a black outline on their uniforms but no drop shadow. And of course, BYU added the drop shadow in the bowl game as a nod to BYU golden boy Steve Young and his throwback 1994 49ers. While the black was unnecessary, I actually like the uniforms as well, because they represent my first few years at BYU.

don't forget the stripeless pants that we're a 90's must have (especially a dark version)...also I'm 99% sure that those jerseys were actually made by champion with a nike logo slapped on...I'm pretty sure the fist couple of seasons they got into football uniforms they weren't even doing design or manufacturing for the majority of the teams they were sponsoring...I'm pretty sure adidas also did the same as I've seen photos of game worn nebraska jerseys with the adidas logo on the shoulder with a russell tag.

Archived