Suns spur controversy with "Los Suns" jerseys tonight

Blue Falcon

Why isn't San Antonio getting onboard the Cinco de Mayo bandwagon with their 'Los Spurs' unis?

It's not, currently, their state that has the law on the books?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Los Sol seems like it would make more sense.

That said, it IS a proper name, so maybe not... i dunno, but it certainly bothers me.

I'm pretty sure that a native Spanish speaker would still refer to the team as the "Suns" simply because that's the proper name. Hence, "Los Lakers," "Los Suns," "Los Spurs," etc.

So how long until we see teams using languages other then english or spanish. Will we see a Mariners japanese (Kanji?) character on jerseys in the future? Maybe a german Brewers jersey? Some old archaic irish translation of the Celtics?

~~the dmr~~

Why isn't San Antonio getting onboard the Cinco de Mayo bandwagon with their 'Los Spurs' unis?

It's not, currently, their state that has the law on the books?

Bingo. This is less about Cinco de Mayo and more about the Suns saying "Don't blame us for what our state legislature does."

Why isn't San Antonio breaking out their 'Los Spurs' gear? It's Cinco de Mayo afterall! :rolleyes:

Not to step on your bemusement, but...

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said his team was interested in taking part but couldn't get new "Los Spurs" road jerseys in time for the game.

That, in itself, got me curious. Most times, when teams wear a color jersey at home, the visiting team wears its white jersey. If the Suns are wearing the orange Los Suns uniforms, why aren't the Spurs wearing white tonight?

I hate the whole promotion to begin with, but I find that what the Brewers and Giants do is at least palatable. I absolutely hate it when a team like the Rangers adds "Los" on the top of their old wordmark. I know that Rangers probably doesn't translate well, but make it something like Lawmen.

Of course, the Texas Ranger's historical purpose was to control the frontiers and borders of the former Republic, so maybe just keeping "Rangers" on the jersey is the best idea.

DirecTV Latin America uses an imperfect, but kind of cool translation: Vigilantes.

I hate the whole promotion to begin with, but I find that what the Brewers and Giants do is at least palatable. I absolutely hate it when a team like the Rangers adds "Los" on the top of their old wordmark. I know that Rangers probably doesn't translate well, but make it something like Lawmen.

Of course, the Texas Ranger's historical purpose was to control the frontiers and borders of the former Republic, so maybe just keeping "Rangers" on the jersey is the best idea.

DirecTV Latin America uses an imperfect, but kind of cool translation: Vigilantes.

Sorry, but you just set this up...

DallasVigilantesAFL.PNG

bYhYmxh.png

personally I think that it would be more appropriate if teams were to do this "promotion" on either February 5th- Mexican Constitution Day, September 16th-Mexican Independence Day or something along those lines. Celebrate an actual holiday and not some fairly unimportant battle. I have no problem with the jerseys considering that they are proper nouns but it would be cool if they did do a translation.

Ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me. :grin:

Im from mexico, and I as well as many people, says Los Suns, Los Lakers, Los Bulls... but that pronunciation is since 2000´s; before, I remember that some TV Analists were saying, Los Toros (Chicago), Las espuelas (Spurs), etc, but only in the teams that was easy the traslation :P

Anyway, you have a Mexican franchise with the untranslated name "Chivas US" (the soccer team of MLS)... so why you didn´t change it ehh?

Seems to me that it would be easy enough for opposing fans to parody "Los Suns" by tacking an extra "e" onto the end of "Los".

Actually not just opposing fans, but also any disgruntled members of the team's own fan base, especially if "Lose Suns" is exactly what happens.

CCSLC signature.png

It's a great day in the NBA when a game is played color vs. color.

Yeah, it was interesting to see the Suns wear their road/alternate jerseys tonight against the Spurs. I guess since orange and black are hard to confuse, it wasn't exactly an issue for both teams to be wearing their colored jerseys.

Archived