2010 LeBron James Sweepstakes

TFoA

Okay, maybe 31 wins. Shaq is so far past his prime, it's scary. He has the name of a superstar but the game of a mediocre player at this point. Even if they sign Shaq, they will still be massacred by better centers like Dwight Howard or Chris Kaman. All the talent in the world doesn't matter if there isn't enough at every position and if the team lacks any depth or chemistry.

As far as the Eastern Conference goes, yes, it's weak. But the teams near the top of the East - the Magic, Celtics, Hawks, and until tonight, the Cavs - were all balanced teams with one or two superstars and plenty of talented role players around them. Miami won't be able to afford any talented role players - while role players will take paycuts to get rings, they're not going to take the absolute minimum wage if they're good enough to get more money elsewhere and still compete.

Shut. The. F#ck. Up.

Seriously. You're making an a$$ of yourself. Unplug your keyboard (or laptop) and throw that motherf#cker through the nearest window. Repeat this every time you feel the need to opine about the NBA, NFL, LPGA, SUVs or any other acronym you're familiar with. LeBron was never going to the Clippers. Accept it.

Speaking of acceptance, you should also accept the fact that Chris Kaman (who?!) is not an elite center. Dwight Howard is an elite center. David Lee and Yao Ming aren't bad, either. Kaman has potential, but teams aren't gameplanning around him. Deal with it.

You've got Blake Griffin to look forward to, and he's surrounded by a competent group of players. The Clips could be pretty good in a few years. Enjoy the fact that your team is looking to the future instead of spewing spite-fueled nonsense about the past (and present).

Sigs are for sissies.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this season's schedule released yet? Because if and when Miami heads to Cleveland, it's gonna be rough. And I'm gonna love every second of it.

I have spent the last few years hating LeBron, so this is more than sour grapes. I just hate the guy, even more now. If he wins a title in Miami, it has no credibility. If he loses in Miami, it becomes the laughingstock of this decade. UGHHHH what a douche

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Open letter to Cavs fans from their owner:

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ?KING? WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert

Majority Owner

Cleveland Cavaliers

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Is this season's schedule released yet? Because if and when Miami heads to Cleveland, it's gonna be rough. And I'm gonna love every second of it.

I have spent the last few years hating LeBron, so this is more than sour grapes. I just hate the guy, even more now. If he wins a title in Miami, it has no credibility. If he loses in Miami, it becomes the laughingstock of this decade. UGHHHH what a douche

THe league should schedule it for Christmas day.

All I got to say is Bravo Dan Gilbert Bravo.,

This is why I think most sports fans are idiots. He's a freaking team owner...show some class, some perspective, and some appreciation. LeBron made that mother:censored:er a ton of money.

Dan Gilbert doesn't owe LBJ anything. Besides he makes his money other places then from the Cavaliers.

And LeBron doesn't owe Cleveland anything. This is a decision for what he does for a living. This is his life and his decision, not the decision of a bunch of customers. Tell me this, if LeBron worked for a Cleveland based Wal-Mart and gave excellent, top-notch service, but bolted to work in a Wal-Mart in Miami because it was a better opportunity for him, would you give a :censored: ? HELL NO. So what the hell is the difference here? LeBron doesn't owe anybody :censored:. Yes, I would have liked him to stay in Cleveland because he'd have been a legend if he won a championship there, but he isn't doing anything wrong by leaving.

I hope you jackasses don't take another form of employment in another city where you think you can excel beyond what you have previously done if you are offered for whatever the hell it is youd do for a living. You're an idiot, Pittsburgh sucks, and so is any person who thought LeBron or any other big name free agent would come to the Nets. WHO THE :censored: WOULD WANT TO PLAY HERE IN NEW JERSEY! :censored: ING NOBODY THAT'S WHO.

This is why I think most sports fans are idiots. He's a freaking team owner...show some class, some perspective, and some appreciation. LeBron made that mother:censored:er a ton of money.

Dan Gilbert doesn't owe LBJ anything. Besides he makes his money other places then from the Cavaliers.

And LeBron doesn't owe Cleveland anything. This is a decision for what he does for a living. This is his life and his decision, not the decision of a bunch of customers. Tell me this, if LeBron worked for a Cleveland based Wal-Mart and gave excellent, top-notch service, but bolted to work in a Wal-Mart in Miami because it was a better opportunity for him, would you give a :censored: ? HELL NO. So what the hell is the difference here? LeBron doesn't owe anybody :censored:. Yes, I would have liked him to stay in Cleveland because he'd have been a legend if he won a championship there, but he isn't doing anything wrong by leaving.

I hope you jackasses don't take another form of employment in another city where you think you can excel beyond what you have previously done if you are offered for whatever the hell it is youd do for a living. You're an idiot, Pittsburgh sucks, and so is any person who thought LeBron or any other big name free agent would come to the Nets. WHO THE :censored: WOULD WANT TO PLAY HERE IN NEW JERSEY! :censored: ING NOBODY THAT'S WHO.

Eh, I kind of agree, but the Wal-Mart thing doesn't hold much water. People wouldn't be paying for stuff just to have Lebron ring them up at the register (like fans buy tickets mostly to see him play) or people aren't overpaying for authentic blue Wal-Mart vests with a name tag on it that says "James."

He doesn't owe the city or people of Cleveland anything. But people should dislike him for the way he acts on the court, and now, because he went about this whole thing completely wrong. It was a real dick move.

IUe6Hvh.png

There's a world of difference between a superstar athlete and some dude at Walmart. I mean come, on. I agree that Lebron wasn't under any obligation to stay with the Cavs, but I think the manner this was handled explains a lot of the fan reaction. You can part ways with your previous employer in a classy manner, or not.

There's a world of difference between a superstar athlete and some dude at Walmart. I mean come, on. I agree that Lebron wasn't under any obligation to stay with the Cavs, but I think the manner this was handled explains a lot of the fan reaction. You can part ways with your previous employer in a classy manner, or not.

Yeah, but no matter how he left, people would think he's terrible anyway, and that is unjustifiable. Fans are customers and need to realize that they aren't part of the team. My points were covered by other posters in the "We/Us vs. The Team I Like" thread.

I'll point out that when you shop at Walmart*, you aren't going there because of any one employee - you're going there to get a great deal on some wife beaters or some jorts. If you're going to a pro sporting event, a lot of times you're paying to see a specific player. So it's a little different that way. But your overall point is still valid.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You're right, I'm an idiot. I can only hope some of your genius rubs off on me.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

Honestly, if he left like Thome did without a huge saga, this all would've went down better. There wouldn't be nearly as much animosity towards him IMO. But, life will go on (and I still to this day believe that the Cavs are still a playoff team without LeBron).

6fQjS3M.png

A great, great article by Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus.

Here

A superstar player decided to take less money and sacrifice individual glory to try to win championships, but it?s not OK because he?s not having to work hard enough to win them, so they don?t count as much.

To announce his decision, he created a special TV program that wound up generating millions of dollars he donated to the Boys & Girls Club, but he?s a bad person because it was egotistical.

Maybe if he went to college he'd know that "me" is not synonymous with "myself". Eh, probably not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Exactly. It's not that he left it's how he left. The dude is being eviscerated all over the place right now and not just by fans. The media is taking their shots as well. His image is taking a real beating tonight. If the Heat don't win a title or two and soon, Lebron James is going to become a punchline. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete fall so far so fast. It's really pretty ridiculous. The real absurdity is he'd have been better off killing some dogs or cheating on his wife or something.

I'll say it again; the guy left his team via free agency. Why he's worse than anyone else is beyond me. It's not like Lebron is the first athlete to have a "look at me" moment. I have no sympathy for how he handled the situation but I do kind of feel bad for him. No one deserves the beating he's taking right now in some corners. I suppose it would be different if he'd actually done something wrong or illegal but all the guy did was sign with a different team. My guess is if he had it to do all over again Lebron would have probably skipped doing "The Decision" on ESPN.

BB52Big.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen an athlete fall so far so fast. It's really pretty ridiculous. The real absurdity is he'd have been better off killing some dogs or cheating on his wife or something.

Personally, a lot of the reactions are kind of pushing me, basically a "I'll watch the playoffs only" kind of NBA fan to someone who wants to support the Heat after all of this bull :censored:.

Then there's this which I think pretty well sums up ESPN's involvement...

Eric Stangel, the head writer and executive producer for The Late Show with David Letterman, delivered an equally scathing review on Twitter: "I'm keeping my 2 yr old up to watch the LeBron James Special. I want her to see the exact moment our society hit rock bottom."

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, but no matter how he left, people would think he's terrible anyway, and that is unjustifiable. Fans are customers and need to realize that they aren't part of the team. My points were covered by other posters in the "We/Us vs. The Team I Like" thread.

Pretty much the foundation of the business of pro-sports is convincing people that they are part of the team. Its hardly surprising when people get pissed when they feel like the team, and therefore themselves get slighted. Hell, I'm always surprised when I hear local broadcasters for various sports refer to the team they cover as "we/us", as that is just not done in my market.

Gilbert's letter, while coming across as unprofessional, was probably a calculated decision to show the fans that he did what he could and he's "looking out for them." PR. That's all. However, the guarantee of a Cavs title before LeBron wins one is downright comical. I suppose that could happen if LaBron never wins one...but Cleavland is not exactly knocking on the door.

I feel for Cleveland sports fans. I live in a similar place that just does not produce titles (2nd longest streak, to Cleavland among cities with at least three teams) and will never land the big free agent. But the outrage is comical. He's more than a ballplayer, he's a young person with a ton of money and he's never lived outside of northern Ohio. It's his right to leave.

Two criticisms:

1. I do agree with Gilbert's stance that this was narcissistic. Stern is eating this up...the NBA has been the big story since the finals started nearly a month ago. But this circus was sickening. I almost wish Brett Favre would make an announcement on his future so we can just pile it all into one big night and move on.

2. From a legacy standpoint this will be interesting. While everyone has forgot that Kobe's 5 (and counting) rings may never have happened without the "put me in a big market or I won't play" attitude (at least James gave the small market seven years), they'll always remember that any rings James wins will be as a result of him piggy-backing Wade and Bosh and that it will be D-Wade's team. For legacy, he'd have been way better off wining 2 or 3 rings just about anywhere than he would winning five in Miami. Hopefully this will remind us that "rings" is not everything when judging a player, or is (insert ring-wearing bench warmer) better than Karl Malone?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived