2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Well, colored me shocked to see Washington beating Oregon State in Double OT. I said they needed to win two of those games, but that doesn't mean they were going to. I'll take it and I'll take Locker throwing 5 TD's.

What else is on my mind here...

-Boy, Ohio State just looked like a deer in the headlights in Madison last night. After the opening kickoff, the Buckeyes just looked bad. Now, Oregon is poised to take the top spot in the polls. Now, some may say why not Boise? Well, Nevada's loss at Hawaii hurts because it makes the game a little less bigger because the Wolfpack isn't unbeaten.

-Has the 'TILT' sign lit up yet at Jordan-Hare Stadium yet? Better yet, I wonder if Iowa State started to waive the white flag after the first quarter at Oklahoma... If that was the case, then I hate to see what Texas can do to them next week.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broncos pretty much lost all chance to be Number One (although the AP doesn't matter now), When you have to hope and pray that Nevada would be unbeaten you know you won't get respect.

Wait till next year Broncs fans, Though who knows we could be entering 2007 and how messed it was.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I spent a great evening at Camp Randall last night. OSU did look a little flat and Pryor made some bad throws (and some good 3rd down throws that were dropped), but the Badgers showed more energy then they had all year and never looked rattled when OSU scored twice in the 3rd and seemingly held the ball for 14:59. At 21-18, they needed a TD drive and made it happen. Makes that MSU loss all the more painful.

But it was awesome. First time beating #1 since 1981 (though how defending champ OSU, on a 19 game winning streak was not #1 in 2003 is beyond me).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Broncos pretty much lost all chance to be Number One (although the AP doesn't matter now).

Boise is still projected to be #1 in the BCS rankings (last I checked), so they may very well still be playing in the NCG provided other high-ranked teams keep losing (which is very plausible this year). It helps that TCU probably won't leapfrog them, as Boise had a better OOC schedule and beat common opponents by a larger margin of victory.

Ultimately, a #2 ranking would be just fine too, because #1 and #2 play each other in the NCG anyway. I doubt the AP will completely screw over Boise yet again, as the DOJ is breathing down the necks of the whole BCS establishment.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

NAU has just beaten the number nine team in the county, Montana State 34-7

Please place FCS in front of that.

In FBS news, Spameater (aka Hawai'i) is up 14-0 to Nevada after 1.

Because otherwise we might have thought that NAU knocked off LSU? Call me crazy but I'm betting most of us already knew what he meant.

Agreed - no SEC school would ever lose to an FCS school.

Ummm...Will...are you serious about that or purposely trolling? Since Ole Miss is still in the SEC last I checked.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nevada's down by 6 midway through the 4th to the seemingly perennial trap that is the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors at home. If they fall tonight, Boise's frail chances of getting in the BCS top 2 are pretty much shot, I think.

Also, my father-in-law (who's a much more ardent college football follower than I am) were reviewing the results today, and we agreed that, while it would be horribly wrong and certify pretty much every anti-BCS argument, we could totally see the polls bumping Oklahoma from 6 to 2 this week. You know, because they're Oklahoma, and somehow blanking Iowa State by 52 is supposed to be more impressive than blanking New Mexico State by 59 (which actually dropped Boise a spot that week.)

I'm going to rationalize that Oklahoma, in true Bob Stoops fashion, is going to blow a shootout at some point (probably Oklahoma State). A secondary that suspect can't run the table.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Broncos pretty much lost all chance to be Number One (although the AP doesn't matter now).

Boise is still projected to be #1 in the BCS rankings (last I checked), so they may very well still be playing in the NCG provided other high-ranked teams keep losing (which is very plausible this year). It helps that TCU probably won't leapfrog them, as Boise had a better OOC schedule and beat common opponents by a larger margin of victory.

Ultimately, a #2 ranking would be just fine too, because #1 and #2 play each other in the NCG anyway. I doubt the AP will completely screw over Boise yet again, as the DOJ is breathing down the necks of the whole BCS establishment.

AP doesn't give a rat's arse about the BCS. They aren't part of the calculations.

Today, we are all otaku.

We blew it. Sucks to get your butt whipped and lose, sucks even worse to lose when you know without a shadow of a doubt that you're a better team.

In other news, I believe my premonitions regarding the premature Nebraska success turned out well.

Note to Top 25 Teams: Rushing the field after beating another Top 25 team is bush league. Tearing the goal posts down is just embarrassing.

We blew it. Sucks to get your butt whipped and lose, sucks even worse to lose when you know without a shadow of a doubt that you're a better team.

In other news, I believe my premonitions regarding the premature Nebraska success turned out well.

Note to Top 25 Teams: Rushing the field after beating another Top 25 team is bush league. Tearing the goal posts down is just embarrassing.

You do realize those posts would have come down if South Carolina hadn't dropped them last week, right?

Today, we are all otaku.

NAU has just beaten the number nine team in the county, Montana State 34-7

Please place FCS in front of that.

In FBS news, Spameater (aka Hawai'i) is up 14-0 to Nevada after 1.

Because otherwise we might have thought that NAU knocked off LSU? Call me crazy but I'm betting most of us already knew what he meant.

Agreed - no SEC school would ever lose to an FCS school.

It's happened a couple of times before. Mississippi State losing to Maine comes to mind first.

Oregon #1, Boise #2, Oklahoma #3. Virginia Tech is back in the polls, too. This weekend could not have been any better for Boise fans.

Sure it could. Nevada and Oregon State losing doesn't help out Boise State's schedule strength.

This is going to get interesting. Half the media seems to want nothing more than Boise State to get a title shot. The other half seems to think that, with their schedule, Boise State shouldn't even be in the discussion. Boise State went from everyone's favorite "little" team to everyone's favorite whipping boy in a matter of weeks. Welcome to the fickle court of public opinion Broncos fans.

BB52Big.jpg

Don't be so sure.

If Utah keeps winning as they should, then TCU, and Utah for that matter, would have a chance at a win over a top 10 team in the in season rankings (And don't say that VT was in the top 10 when Boise beat them. That was preseason, and we see what the Hokies are now). And we see that when top 10s win over top 10s they get a huge boost.

Everyone keeps forgetting TCU with all the Boise hype. With Nevada losing, TCU probably has a better chance of jumping up later in the season.

-----

Very excited, but at the same time extremely cautious, to see Cal get dumptrucked against USC with ASU travelling to Berkeley this weekend. It gives me hope that the Sun Devils have a damn good chance against the Bears. But at the same time, Cal is going to be just slightly pissed at their result and will definitely try to show themselves better against ASU. Cal will be an angry football team next week.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Sure it could. Nevada and Oregon State losing doesn't help out Boise State's schedule strength.

They're #2 regardless, and I doubt Boise would have leapfrogged Oregon anyway if those two won.

If Utah keeps winning as they should, then TCU, and Utah for that matter, would have a chance at a win over a top 10 team in the in season rankings

Utah is not out-of-conference for TCU this year.

(And don't say that VT was in the top 10 when Boise beat them. That was preseason, and we see what the Hokies are now).

Yeah, we do - they beat NC State to get back into the mix in the ACC two weeks ago, and they're back in the polls this week. The JMU loss was a fluke due to their AD's terrible, arrogant decision to schedule JMU only a few days after the Boise game.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

They're #2 regardless, and I doubt Boise would have leapfrogged Oregon anyway if those two won.

If Utah keeps winning as they should, then TCU, and Utah for that matter, would have a chance at a win over a top 10 team in the in season rankings

Utah is not out-of-conference for TCU this year.

(And don't say that VT was in the top 10 when Boise beat them. That was preseason, and we see what the Hokies are now).

Yeah, we do - they beat NC State to get back into the mix in the ACC two weeks ago, and they're back in the polls this week. The JMU loss was a fluke due to their AD's terrible, arrogant decision to schedule JMU only a few days after the Boise game.

Virginia Tech hasn't beaten a ranked team this year. Their most impressive win was over NC State, who just lost to East Carolina. I mean, you're actually impressed that they steamrolled terrible Central Michigan and Wake Forest teams in consecutive weeks? They're back in the polls because they're Virginia Tech, not because they've proven themselves as one of the top 25 teams in the country.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived