Unpopular Opinions

On 9/29/2023 at 8:30 PM, DustDevil61 said:

As far as the new NFL number rules go, I don't mind the further use of single digits outside of QBs, Kickers, and Punters, but single digits still don't look quite right to me on defensive players. All that said, I love the use of the number 0 and can't wait for a quarterback to use it.

This might not be the thread for it, but the number 02 car with reminded me: I can see the day in team sports where numbers with leading zeros (01-09) are allowed in addition to 00 before triple-digit numbers are allowed (provided that there's not a enough unretiring of numbers). I often treat 00 as a two-digit shorthand of 100 on a team where both 0 and 00 are worn, so it wouldn't be that big a stretch that 01-09 could be treated as two-digit shorthand 101-109. That could also be a way to distinguish offensive players from defensive players in football (single-digit numbers for offensive players, kickers, and punters, 01-09 for defensive players).

I thought the number rules were perfect pre 2020. But then again, so was the playoff format and the number of games in the season.

• Like 3

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

On 9/30/2023 at 8:30 AM, DustDevil61 said:

This might not be the thread for it, but the number 02 car with reminded me: I can see the day in team sports where numbers with leading zeros (01-09) are allowed in addition to 00 before triple-digit numbers are allowed (provided that there's not a enough unretiring of numbers). I often treat 00 as a two-digit shorthand of 100 on a team where both 0 and 00 are worn, so it wouldn't be that big a stretch that 01-09 could be treated as two-digit shorthand 101-109. That could also be a way to distinguish offensive players from defensive players in football (single-digit numbers for offensive players, kickers, and punters, 01-09 for defensive players).

Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you

I gave a reason why I hate leading zeroes, on the previous page

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

7 minutes ago, Ark said:

But you would say, "I remember back in 06 (oh six) when the Wii was released"

That is a leading zero being used.

It was 2006, so those zeroes ar necessary.

I'd call leading zeroes those that are added where they aren't needed.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

47 minutes ago, Cujo said:

These uniforms were so terrific

Arizona Diamondbacks: Daniel Descalso deserves to be an MLB All-Star

Not even your most unpopular opinion this week lmao.

In all seriousness, these were mid. Don't really understand what they were going for with those shoulder gradients.

7 hours ago, ruttep said:

In all seriousness, these were mid. Don't really understand what they were going for with those shoulder gradients.

MLB fans: "Modernization? Gradients? Hate it."

Also MLB fans: "Modernization? Gradients? Love those City Connects!"

6uXNWAo.png

28 minutes ago, Cujo said:

MLB fans: "Modernization? Gradients? Hate it."

Also MLB fans: "Modernization? Gradients? Love those City Connects!"

The intersection of those two sets of fans is likely tiny. Sort of the Venn diagram of Hall of Fame guitarists and renowned astrophysicists.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Essentially saying something is average but with a more negative connotation.

Slang is cyclical, and there are always those of us who like or don't like some if it.

Icy

Fire

Mid

Meh

Cool or Kewl

Fresh

It's where I sit.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:02 AM, JoeDGemma said:
On 9/25/2023 at 8:53 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

Has anyone picked a number in the 90s range because of their birth year?

Not his birth year, but DeAndre' Bembry wears 95 for his younger brother (born in 1995) who died 2 weeks before DeAndre was drafted. 

Similarly, Jason Collins wore number 98 in his second stint with the Nets (after having worn 35 the first time) in commemoration of the murder of Matthew Shepard.

Brooklyn Nets' Jason Collins named one of TIME's 100 most influential people

On 9/29/2023 at 8:30 PM, DustDevil61 said:

I can see the day in team sports where numbers with leading zeros (01-09) are allowed in addition to 00 before triple-digit numbers are allowed

One baseball player already wore 09: Benito Santiago.

Happy Birthday Benito Santiago!!! | 30-Year Old Cardboard

He said that he did it because the chest protector's strap felt better when it fell between two digits.

Santiago-09.jpg

For Santiago, 09 was just a version of 9.  However, the 1985 Blue Jays had another take on the matter.

For that team, Al Oliver wore number 0, while Cliff Johnson wore number 00.

attachment.php?attachmentid=544535&stc=1&d=1521721240

So there the leading zero was interpreted as a significant digit, one that made the number different.  By that standard, they could have had a player wearing 01 and a player wearing 1.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png